The MT-07 Forum

Engine tick under acceleration?

Frosty

When I get to about 4000 rpm it starts ticking. I thought it was just the chain because it does need to be replaced but after tightening it and walking around the bike while someone was hitting the throttle, it sounds like its coming from inside the motor. Has anyone else heard this noise and do you know whats causing it or how to fix it? 
I just got it back after about six months of not being able to ride and now I get problems. Its really bugging me. Any help would be great. Thanks.

• Global Moderator
When I get to about 4000 rpm it starts ticking. I thought it was just the chain because it does need to be replaced but after tightening it and walking around the bike while someone was hitting the throttle, it sounds like its coming from inside the motor. Has anyone else heard this noise and do you know whats causing it or how to fix it?  I just got it back after about six months of not being able to ride and now I get problems. Its really bugging me. Any help would be great. Thanks.
The timing chain tensioner is on the loose side..
if the bike is still under warranty have your service center take a look

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

Figures. So whats the cost to tighten/fix it? I'm going to try to run to the powersports store before work tomorrow.

• Global Moderator
Figures. So whats the cost to tighten/fix it? I'm going to try to run to the powersports store before work tomorrow.

By loose i meant tension wise
not bolt wise

ask if you can get a tech to take a listen
might be normal... might be an issue
i cant say because im not there

I know with @phicurious's bike he had a small rattle at idle and all through the rev range
I could barely discern it myself but i believe he took it to a shop for peace of mind and they found the tensioner bolt working its way out?
(Correct me if im wrong there miles)

If you want the peace of mind as well,
1161e3be12d2fa224c984db7d3b3f3fc.jpg
that is the chain tensioner/decompressor
put a piece of rubber hose up to it while the motor is running and place the other end to your ear
if you hear any major noises take it in to get inspected, otherwise you should hear the occasional ticking and more of a whirring noise

The noise I'm hearing can be heard over my straight pipe driving down the road. My bike has always had a slight tick but its just really loud now. I'll try the hose thing just to make sure before I take it in.

• Global Moderator
The noise I'm hearing can be heard over my straight pipe driving down the road. My bike has always had a slight tick but its just really loud now. I'll try the hose thing just to make sure before I take it in.
Is it only under acceleration?
is your oil level low? The tensioner is hydraulically applied

If the hose reveales nothing at the tensioner, move it around the engine case to see if you can pinpoint the noise

Checked it out this morning before one, it was only once the bike was at temp that it made the noise. Tightened the bolt on the tensioner not even a quarter turn and its a lot quieter now. Now I think I just need to replace the chain and everything will be back to normal. Thanks guys!

• Global Moderator
Checked it out this morning before one, it was only once the bike was at temp that it made the noise. Tightened the bolt on the tensioner not even a quarter turn and its a lot quieter now. Now I think I just need to replace the chain and everything will be back to normal. Thanks guys!
which chain are you referring to? the timing chain? or the drive chain?

topazsparrow

You meantioned your running straight pipes... Did you adjust the fuel or reflash the ECU?

Might be a lean pinging under accel if not.

I'm in for answers on this. My bike has been making the same ticking noise when cruising around 24-40 mph. It almost sounded like an exhaust leak sometimes and everyone keeps telling me it's normal (even the dealer) but it's really annoying and I can hear it clear as day over my yoshi exhaust

• Global Moderator

@manny826 are you sure it's not your drive chain? the stock chain rattles something fierce for some reason.
the timing chain has a slight tick to it at idle, and around 3800-4500 rpm the balance shaft comes into play and adds a resonance causing a slight tick, but it shouldn't be heard over the exhaust or drive-chain.

@manny826 are you sure it's not your drive chain? the stock chain rattles something fierce for some reason. the timing chain has a slight tick to it at idle, and around 3800-4500 rpm the balance shaft comes into play and adds a resonance causing a slight tick, but it shouldn't be heard over the exhaust or drive-chain.

I'm pretty sure it's not the chain. I can kinda pin point it right underneath my fuel tank and when I have it parked and running it sounds like it comes from the top end of the motor.

@manny826 are you sure it's not your drive chain? the stock chain rattles something fierce for some reason. the timing chain has a slight tick to it at idle, and around 3800-4500 rpm the balance shaft comes into play and adds a resonance causing a slight tick, but it shouldn't be heard over the exhaust or drive-chain.

Here's a video I took a while back
https://vimeo.com/164506842

• Global Moderator

That sounds more like injector tick vs chain tick....

Is it only under acceleration? is your oil level low? The tensioner is hydraulically applied

If the hose reveales nothing at the tensioner, move it around the engine case to see if you can pinpoint the noise
Just had a look at the service manual. The center bolt in the tensioned is just a cover. Not really clear from the description, but it looks like there are 2 factory hex wrenches needed to adjust the tension. Also appears it needs to be removed, compressed with one wrench, reinstalled and then adjusted with the second hex wrench.  
The tensioner is turned in until it just touches the cam chain guide and then turned 1/4 turn more. 

It does appear to use oil pressure after that adjustment and the manual states that the tension is "automatic".  

If what you tightened was the center bolt on the tensioner - it's just a plug and does nothing.  
If you are talking about replacing the timing chain - well, you'll need to take the valve cover off

which chain are you referring to? the timing chain? or the drive chain?
Drive chain and maybe sprockets. I have almost 8k miles on it.

If what you tightened was the center bolt on the tensioner - it's just a plug and does nothing.  
If you are talking about replacing the timing chain - well, you'll need to take the valve cover off
Well maybe in my head I fixed it haha. It got quieter though. I really don't want to have to pay to get it looked at and fixed. It was louder than any of the normal "ticking" videos I've seen. Maybe the combination of the drive chain tick and the "normal" valve tick is whats driving me insane. I just can't believe that it is supposed to do that. 

Archived