The MT-07 Forum

Riding home from a dealer thats 280 miles away on a new FZ07

gomeybear

So I am very close to moving on a deal on a new 2015 fz07 thats about 280 miles away from where I live.  Do you all think there would be any issues riding this bad boy from the dealer to my home being that its new? (probably wont exactly comply with break process as it is mostly highway riding)  Ive heard as long as you very rpm you should be ok.

So I am very close to moving on a deal on a new 2015 fz07 thats about 280 miles away from where I live.  Do you all think there would be any issues riding this bad boy from the dealer to my home being that its new? (probably wont exactly comply with break process as it is mostly highway riding)  Ive heard as long as you very rpm you should be ok.
Just make sure you're dressed for the weather, keep it around 65 (you will get fatigue from wind blast going that far for that long) other than that, the bike will be more than happy to take you home! I'd tell the dealer you're riding it for 250+ miles home and if they can just triple check everything on the bike for you.

You should be fine riding it back from the dealer, this scenario happens more than you think. In my opinion (everyone has their own), if you can vary the revs and load/unload the engine frequently in the first 25-50 miles, you should be good with the break in. I still recommend varying your speed by 10-15 mph every 15 minutes on the highway if possible or where applicable. If you stop for breaks every hour or so, letting the engine cool down a bit will help with heat cycles. Again, this is my opinion, others may disagree, it is the internet after all.

Xeon

2016 Raven (White) ~ Akrapovic Carbon Exhaust / 2WDW ECU Flash / CRG LS Mirrors / Seat Concepts Seat / Givi Windscreen / OES Sliders / R6 Throttle Tube / Ohlins YA419 & NIX22

• Premium Member

I would rather trailer it home or in the back of as truck... If you are gonna ride it home just get an oil change before you leave the dealership...that factory fill oil is the look death...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

• Premium Member
I would rather trailer it home or in the back of as truck... If you are gonna ride it home just get an oil change before you leave the dealership...that factory fill oil is the look death...
What would be wrong with the factory fill oil?  600 miles is the first oil change according to the factory.  I would sure hope that they would know what is best for their engine....

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

bmwpowere36m3
What would be wrong with the factory fill oil?  600 miles is the first oil change according to the factory.  I would sure hope that they would know what is best for their engine....
Nothing wrong with it... broke-in hard and changed it at 120 miles. It was very dark (not that color matters) and a good amount of "shine" (metallic bits).
After letting the bike warm up, I'd ride it hard for the first 20-30 miles (heavy throttle, accel and decal, keep RPMs a couple thousand below redline), before hitting the highway and then try to constantly vary the throttle (which can be annoying on the highway) and difficult if there is a lot of traffic.

• Premium Member
I remember when I first learned html. This site reminds me of the 90's. :)

Ohh, the great break-in debate. Much like the famous: does clutch-less shifting cause damage to my bike. I'll bite. Bouncing redline before 600 miles is not the best idea if you wish to have a long life out of your engine.

bmwpowere36m3
I remember when I first learned html. This site reminds me of the 90's. :) 
Ohh, the great break-in debate. Much like the famous: does clutch-less shifting cause damage to my bike. I'll bite. Bouncing redline before 600 miles is not the best idea if you wish to have a long life out of your engine.

To be fair, it's been a while since I read it, I don't believe he recommends redlining the engine... just WOT, heavy load, accel, decel for the first 25+ miles.  I kept the RPMs a couple thousand below redline for the first 100 miles.  You don't need RPM, just various loading. But hey, what do I know...  I think break-in, oil choices, etc... are over-hyped these days.  Engines, manufacturing, tolerances, quality has vastly improved from years past.  Really not much to break-in anymore... rings, yes.  But that happens very quickly.  Otherwise, the rest of the engine will just "break-in" till the day it dies.  The transmission is the only area that'll take time... but that just requires mileage and lots of shifting, no special procedures.

True, just vary the rpm. and the bike should be fine, don't over think it or you will worry for nothing and keep it between the ditches.  ;)

Beemer

twowheeladdict

I have flown and rode home new bikes.

Make sure and do a presentation ride check of the bike. Don't assume that the dealer took care of all this.

I do break in drills near the dealer on back roads before I head for home.

I plan the first part of the ride on secondary roads and vary the RPMs and transmission gear I am riding in.

I have flown up to 500 miles away doing this.

I wouldn't ride on the interstate, but I don't find interstates interesting riding.

2015 FZ-07

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
howworkclutch

make sure you leave the dealer with enough time to get home before they close, and make sure you have their phone number in case you need any "warranty work".

besides that: ride the hell out of it.

-HowWorkClutch

Simbadc650

I rode my 250 cc to a test rally, rode the fz07, told myself I'm not driving 100 + miles back 90 degrees on a 250cc. Took my Scully home that same day.

There are different schools of thought on this. And I think that many opinions come from old traditions, but I tend to trust the engineers paid stupid amounts of money to perfect the machines they design. I would follow the recommended break in: Avoid prolonged operation above 5k RPM for 600 miles

So if you can do that, you're golden.

You won't ruin the bike riding it home, but if you have to cruise over 5k, you won't be following Yamaha's break in. And it's in Yamaha's best interest to help you break in to maximize life and power. Believe who you will about break in, but remember, a wise man will always ask why, and a fool will never have a credible/defensible response. I have read many reasons people say to do otherwise and I can easily debunk them with science (and much experience rebuilding engines).

The biggest thing to understand is the parts polish nice and smooth during break-in. Some people say you need high cylinder pressure to fully expand the rings. This is absolutely false and it's clear if someone has ever built an engine. You must compress the rings to get them into the cylinder. Once inside they have an interference fit(rings press firmly against the cylinder walls trying to stretch out more). The reason you don't want to ride high RPMS is because the rings and cylinder wall are like... a rock on a piece of glass....they don't mate well, with gentle rubbing it slowly turns into a razor blade on a piece of glass, smooth as can be. High RPMS can damage the break in process because the high spots on the rings or wall, just like the high spots on the rock, exert the most force on the cylinder wall. These high spots generate A TON OF HEAT! You want to take easy so the imperfections of the rings and wall smooth each other out before you put high demand on them. 

But as always, do what you may. It's your bike and your investment :)

Edited for clarity

bmwpowere36m3

"Prolonged"... I interpret that as, do not cruise steadily at 5k+ RPMS for a significant amount of time. Not that it can't be exceeded while accelerating for briefs moments. I agree with that.

Ring tension isn't much... the seal is formed thru combustion pressure being driven around piston ring lands and pushing the rings out even tighter against the cylinder wall.

As an engineer you try to do what's best... but there is always compromise (speaking from my experience). Engine life, health and performance are not the only variables.

You can ride it home. Take breaks whenever you feel like it. Get a feel for the throttle and friction zone in a parking lot for however long until you're comfortable. Keep a loved one/friend informed about your status. Have fun!

Break-in wise it's really up in the air and every one will have an opinion. I've seen videos of hondas cbr600rr assembly factory, and at the end they rev the engine a good bit to make sure all is good. They did this with other car assembly factories, so I assume its an industry standard. The bike manufacturer will never recommend redlining your engine, since that would leave them open to easy lawsuits about someone who redlined their engine for 10 min, and broke it.

Here's the video

• 2 weeks later...
Simbadc650

Riding the bike home, best get you feeling like this song, cause that's what happened to me <3 Scully

What's taking so long? Are you walking it home???
Ha!! Ultimate brake in procedure

Hey guys & gals thanks for the recommendations I ended up getting a 2016 silver and blurple model from selma texas which is about 60 miles from Austin.I didn't really have to fret with the long distance ride afterall. I actually already have about 800 miles on it between my girl and I riding ( I also ride a daytona if not there would be more miles on it). The bike is so easy to ride but yet still fun as heck. I'd post pics but it be no different than any other silver and blurple model, unless I posted my girlfriend on it and even then everyone has a doppelganger :)

Hey guys & gals thanks for the recommendations I ended up getting a 2016 silver and blurple model from selma texas which is about 60 miles from Austin.I didn't really have to fret with the long distance ride afterall. I actually already have about 800 miles on it between my girl and I riding ( I also ride a daytona if not there would be more miles on it). The bike is so easy to ride but yet still fun as heck. I'd post pics but it be no different than any other silver and blurple model, unless I posted my girlfriend on it and even then everyone has a doppelganger :)
You owe us a very long ride! And... Throw in a pic with her on it too, lol.

Archived