The MT-07 Forum

FZ-07 - The Adventure Bike

Guest 2wheeler

Guest 2wheeler

So I saw this set of articles on motorcyclistonline.com, and it just lets you know how well the FZ-07 is taking off, and what it is capable of.

Enjoy!

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/girl-meets-world-on-yamaha-fz-07-part-1

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/girl-meets-world-on-yamaha-fz-07-part-2-bike

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/girl-meets-world-on-yamaha-fz-07-part-3-southwest

• Premium Member
So I saw this set of articles on motorcyclistonline.com, and it just lets you know how well the FZ-07 is taking off, and what it is capable of.  

Enjoy!

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/girl-meets-world-on-yamaha-fz-07-part-1

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/girl-meets-world-on-yamaha-fz-07-part-2-bike

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/girl-meets-world-on-yamaha-fz-07-part-3-southwest

Yeah, she's on here too ;)  -- @zombiphone

If someone had told me I'd end up mildly internet famous because I was too small and wimpy for a real adventure bike, I'd have laughed at them :P

I'm surprised and glad people enjoy my story so much though! I firmly believe that any bike can do anything if you force it too hard enough (high levels of masochism may or may not be required), haha

Published 'Chronicles of a Motorcycle Gypsy' a book about my travels on the FZ, and a writer for Motorcyclist Magazine

I firmly believe that any bike can do anything if you force it too hard enough (high levels of masochism may or may not be required), haha
I once took my Ninja 900 for a 2 hours dirt road trip. It handled fine with a soft throttle. All is doable with any bike, and as mentioned, some masochism, but the FZ07 soft suspension makes it the prime candidate for off roading.
We don't need no stinking Tracer 700.

I found the light front end and short frame make the 07 surprisingly capable on dirt. The stock "motardy" position makes the bike less skittish.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

And I really love my motardy FZ07! Sometimes I wonder if I can do a small double with my "Serenity!" Yep! That's what I call my baby! My Serenity!

I found the light front end and short frame make the 07 surprisingly capable on dirt. The stock "motardy" position makes the bike less skittish.
Agreed! The only time I had any issue was hitting some really huge gravel chunks in a sweeping downhill into a campsite, but at least for simple stuff, the FZ handled great. The only time that light front end kind of sucked was when going over, say, 90-95 in a straight line on the highway, but that was something i did pretty rarely anyways. Granted I didn't hit anything REALLY hairy in the dirt, as I don't think the ground clearance and suspension would be adequate, but it does great and skated over dirt pretty nicely on fire roads

Published 'Chronicles of a Motorcycle Gypsy' a book about my travels on the FZ, and a writer for Motorcyclist Magazine

I followed a link on advrider to read about your adventure. Keep up the good work !
That's awesome! Cool to see that even more people are enjoying it! Not sure when they'll actually post the next one on Motorcyclist, as I've submitted my stuff, so it's just a matter of when they want to put it up, but there are quite a few more chapters still to cover, and there will be even more once I start my "let's see if we can hit the remaining states" tour, haha.  
I definitely recommend going on a long trip to everyone if you ever get the chance! Even if it's really hard to adjust back to normal life still :P

• 2 weeks later...
zombiphone
You need to come east, as in East Tn/Western N Carolina, to hit the Blue Ridge Parkway. Endless mountain roads that are beautiful.
I did end up heading up there on my way back and it was waaaay more amazing than I even expected. I mean, granted I was fairly mountain deprived at that point, so it made it even more exciting, but the scenery and technicality of the roads was seriously top notch. I'm going to be heading out again shortly to do some more touring so I can hit the rest of the lower 48, but I'll probably double dip in those states just so I can ride those mountains again, because even living in Socal right by malibu, I'm still dreaming about those roads, haha! They should have that write up posted up in a few weeks, I assume :)

• 1 month later...
Zombi what size 705's are you using front and rear?
Sorry, just saw this (it's been busy and service has been limited camping around colorado), but I'm running the standard 120/70-17 front and a smaller 170/60-17 rear (that's the biggest size they make, which is why I went smaller than stock). I absolutely love the quick easy handling in the canyons, and since getting to Colorado and hitting a ton of dirt roads/rain/some small stream crossings/rocks/mud/snow/etc with surprising success, I don't think I'll be switching away from these any time soon, especially at the price!

If someone had told me I'd end up mildly internet famous because I was too small and wimpy for a real adventure bike, I'd have laughed at them :P 
I'm surprised and glad people enjoy my story so much though! I firmly believe that any bike can do anything if you force it too hard enough (high levels of masochism may or may not be required), haha
It's been my experience that most female bikes enjoy a mild tail section flogging. 
[attachment id=1805" thumbnail="1]

Beemer

Thanks! Just ordered a set of 705s to try and protaper adv high bars with a riser cant wait to try them.

Awesome! Let me know what you think once you try them! I've hooked a few of my friends on them so far just by letting them ride my fz, but I'd love to hear your thoughts

• Global Moderator
Thanks! Just ordered a set of 705s to try and protaper adv high bars with a riser cant wait to try them.
Awesome! Let me know what you think once you try them! I've hooked a few of my friends on them so far just by letting them ride my fz, but I'd love to hear your thoughts
She's alive:)
any new updates on the second journey?

The blog is empty

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

And I really love my motardy FZ07! Sometimes I wonder if I can do a small double with my "Serenity!" Yep! That's what I call my baby! My Serenity!
Like the name. I have the "Firefly" series and the movie, "Serenity", on dvd. 

Beemer

She's alive:) any new updates on the second journey?

The blog is empty

Ack sorry! I've been meaning to update that, but my 48 states mission has been keeping me pretty busy and has been a bit less lonesome since I got to Colorado (I have a lot of racer friends here), so it's been enough of an effort just to sort of stay up to date even on Facebook. I'll try to get some time to fill in all the blanks, since I need to write stuff down for the magazine anyways

I will say though, while I've now been snowed on and rained on and everything in between, and every single plan I've had so far has been pretty shot, I'm having a great time!

• Global Moderator
She's alive:) any new updates on the second journey?

The blog is empty
Ack sorry! I've been meaning to update that, but my 48 states mission has been keeping me pretty busy and has been a bit less lonesome since I got to Colorado (I have a lot of racer friends here), so it's been enough of an effort just to sort of stay up to date even on Facebook. I'll try to get some time to fill in all the blanks, since I need to write stuff down for the magazine anyways

I will say though, while I've now been snowed on and rained on and everything in between, and every single plan I've had so far has been pretty shot, I'm having a great time!
Good to hear you're having a blast at least

how long are you staying out this time?

It's going to be a few more months at least. Originally I was figuring I'd be back by September, but now I'm realizing that might be a little ambitious. I still have sooooo much to see!

• Global Moderator
It's going to be a few more months at least. Originally I was figuring I'd be back by September, but now I'm realizing that might be a little ambitious. I still have sooooo much to see!
Welp... i'll make the offer again...
when you come to phoenix... there are several of us that will ride with ya. And a (beverage of choice) with your name on it.
also... i know its unlikely but if you need a place to crash and you're in the area... my door is open to ya

Archived