The MT-07 Forum

Other naked bikes are coming

manuel

The Suzuki GSX-s1000 does look good, not sure its naked enough for me but I am happy to see more manufactures making a push for naked bikes.

I think Suzuki is reacting to the success of the FZ07/FZ09, I don't like the styling, and if they do what they usually do the bike will likely be priced $2K - $4K higher then the FZ09

I dont think thats naked. It has that melting crap below the tank and the under belly thing. Strip those off and then its neckid.

It's not melting guys, that was supposed to be the stylized R in GSX-R...Wait, this is the GSX-S....I give up :)

Both Honda and Kawasaki had contenders in the market based on their super sports for a while and Suzuki just waited...but now with all the push from BMW, KTM and Yamaha they probably realized they can't just wait this round out...my guess. And the fact that Yamaha can't keep their FZs on the dealers floor probably helped them decide to play.

Pricing will be key...

• Premium Member

I like the old school look of the new BMW R NineT. Don't like the price of it though.

• Global Moderator

I still love the Yamaha SR400 that you guys get in the US. I was seriously considering one but they are not available in Canada. I then stumbled into the FZ-07 and couldn't really justify the price of the SR if it would become available.

http://images.motorcycle-usa.com/PhotoGallerys/14-yamaha-sr400-100.jpg

You know, Honda have a classic available in Canada: CB1100A. Not as classy looking as the SR and quite expensive. I saw it in person and I liked it. Value-wise, our FZ wipes the floor with it (and most of the other bikes, but who's counting...), but I guess it depends on what tickles your fancy.

I like the old school look of the new BMW R NineT. Don't like the price of it though.
I saw one in person and it looks just out of this world - pictures are nice, but the real thing is so much better. It's that blend of classic look with modern equipment, done just right. And no, no 130 ride modes and no ride by wire (not sure why I don't like that, but to me, you just lose that mechanical connection between you and the machine). The attention to detail is simply outstanding. Yeah, expensive, but for a reason, I guess. One day, maybe...Until then, it is a good wallpaper material. Then I go for a ride and I forget everything else - our FZ is that good (ha, Motorcycle.com honorable mention in the Best Motorcycle of the Year, won by the SuperDuke, a bike that is what, three times more expensive :)? - and that tells us where the industry and the media is placing their favorites...).

Guest montana07
I still love the Yamaha SR400 that you guys get in the US. I was seriously considering one but they are not available in Canada. I then stumbled into the FZ-07 and couldn't really justify the price of the SR if it would become available.  
http://images.motorcycle-usa.com/PhotoGallerys/14-yamaha-sr400-100.jpg
I really like the look of this bike as well, but the price seems a bit steep for the tech involved. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I really like the SR400 and I actually think Honda did a wonderful job on the retro CB1100. To me those other bikes like the CB1000, Kawasaki Z1000, and now Suzuki are just slightly stripped super sports. They retune, or de-tune and take off some (not enough in my opinion) plastics. To me they are just...well there.

The Yamaha FZ09 or FZ07 are unique platforms where they didn't strip a bike down they invented a two new AMAZING motorcycles...same as the Honda CB1100 which I read an article that they even put the cooling fins on the motor so that it looked air cooled but also "ticked" as it cooled like the old school bikes. That is awesome. Then we have the new Ducati Scambler and the BMW...I like it when manufactures actually come out with something new or retro instead of just remove some plastic and add riser bars off your R-model.

The SR is kick start only at least here in the UK and that will put a lot of people off
as the org ones could be a pig to start if you did not know the drill.

• Premium Member

Nothing beats the feeling of kicking the motor to life.

Except when they decide to kick back.

Everything went braap.

Co-worker that sits next to me put a deposit on one.  This is in the same class as my old 2000 Triumph Tbird.  True naked standards.  If you go online and build one, the options are ridiculously $$$.

• Global Moderator

I'd love to own a SR400. It's a legend in it's own right and has quite a cult following. But it's it not available in Canada.
Kick starting a fuel injected bike would be a non issue. As a matter of fact I never had issues with kick starting a Yamaha.

Kick start only ensures that wimps will never buy one. 8-)

As far as the "Kick starting" definitely NOT the same as back in the day. The new Yamaha is a modern twist on a very old idea. The bike has a window that that lets you know when to kick it (top dead center) and a lever on left side of handle bar that looks like the old carburetor choke that when engaged a five year old could kick start the bike. I watched a guy do it (crank it over) by hand .......definitely not like the old days where you have to jump down on it. Again, excellent job with Yamaha doing a retro thing...but with modern tech.

Again, excellent job with Yamaha doing a retro thing...but with modern tech.
Yeah, fuel injection is modern tech. But beside that, the engine seems the same as the late 70's. Performance numbers aren't modern imo. It was a slow 400 cc bike back then. Now, it's even worst. But i have to admit that i like the idea of a small retro bike. 

past bikes: WR250X, KLR650, V-Strom 1000, DR650, FZ-6, SV650S, Seca II, GS400S, Seca 750, YZ80.

scordiaboy515
Again, excellent job with Yamaha doing a retro thing...but with modern tech.
Yeah, fuel injection is modern tech. But beside that, the engine seems the same as the late 70's. Performance numbers aren't modern imo. It was a slow 400 cc bike back then. Now, it's even worst. But i have to admit that i like the idea of a small retro bike.
   It was 500cc's back in the day 

Well let me clarify "modern tech"...modern kick start ability,,,fuel injection and brakes that actually work.....and true, its not a speed demon but I don't think it was supposed to be. It's classic looking design for someone looking for a little run around town bike that might bring back fond memories of first motorcycles or bikes they remember as kids. Trust me if Honda would come out with a little Honda CB 350 with fuel injection, modern disc brakes and paint it in some of the classic colors like Candy Topaz orange or the gold, Candy Bacchus Olive etc.....I would be the first one in line and I would love all the little 36 horsepower it makes. :)

Archived