The MT-07 Forum

Chain Slack from dealer

gomeybear

Just picked up my fz07 from the dealer today and boy was it a blast riding it home.  Very happy about my purchase, although when I got home I noticed there was quite a bit of vertical play in the chain.  I looked at the manual and it says between 2 and 2.2 inches of play.  Thing is when I check the vertical play the swing arm interferes by coming in contact with the chain so I cant get a good measurement, this seems like a red flag to me and maybe there is already to much vertical play.  My question to the forum is when you adjust your chain to within the 2 to 2.2 inch range does your chain also come into contact with the swing arm (not when riding obviously but when your checking it)?  Also, there is a rubber protector on the underside of the swing arm which makes me think it may be okay not to sure one way or the other.     

• Premium Member

You don't push up on the chain, you pull down on it and measure from the edge of the rubber guide to the middle of the link you're pulling on.

- Andy

Guest ChicagoAJ

The chains on these bikes loosen up quite a bit in the first couple hundred miles. Mine was over an inch out of spec at ~120 miles. I tightened it and it's been fine during the last 500 miles.

bmwpowere36m3

As said above… the spec for the FZ-07 is not "total" play (i.e., up + down) like most bikes. You lightly push the chain down and measure the distance between the back of the chain slider and the middle of the chain. Properly adjusted, the chain when pushed up should just barely touch that same chain slider.

• Premium Member

My chain is loose already too. Only 250 miles. It's normal I suppose.

I'd rather check chain slack the traditional method of measuring the distance up and down. I bet Yamaha decided to give a reference point to make it easier for the new rider. Someone who changes the sprocket sizes, the reference point would no longer be accurate as the chain would ride a little higher or lower because of the different sprocket diameter.

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

As said above… the spec for the FZ-07 is not "total" play (i.e., up + down) like most bikes. You lightly push the chain down and measure the distance between the back of the chain slider and the middle of the chain. Properly adjusted, the chain when pushed up should just barely touch that same chain slider.
+1

I bought mine with 500km and the chain was touching the swing arm badly when pulling it upwards.

After the adjustment it barely touches the guide, like you said.

Now the chain is much quieter when riding, don't notice it much. Some people seems to complain about the chain noise but after a good adjustment the noise seems normal to me.

Archived