The MT-07 Forum

Oil Leaking from Vent hoses?

topazsparrow

topazsparrow

My landlord just pointed out some oil spots on the driveway and they line up directly underneath the vent hoses that come off the gas tank.

There's a bit of residue inside them so that looks like it's where its coming from. Anyone else getting this? The oil spots are a bit bigger than a quarter.

• Global Moderator
My landlord just pointed out some oil spots on the driveway and they line up directly underneath the vent hoses that come off the gas tank. 
There's a bit of residue inside them so that looks like it's where its coming from. Anyone else getting this? The oil spots are a bit bigger than a quarter.

can you take pictures?
Those hoses are just for fuel vapor overflow, there shouldnt be any oil coming from them

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

bmwpowere36m3

Normal… sometimes you get a build up on the tip which looks black. Those two hoses are fuel tank vents. It happens when the fuel tank is full, bike leaned over on its stand and out in the sun.

topazsparrow

can you take pictures? Those hoses are just for fuel vapor overflow, there shouldnt be any oil coming from them
I can try to get pictures tommorrow maybe, but it's no mystery. The spots are directly underneath the tank vent tubes.

I would have thought that it would only be fuel vapor and overflow, but fuel doesn't leave dark oily spots on the ground. There is no sign of oil anywhere else on the engine - its spotless.

Is it possible the Crank vent vents through these hoses at all?

bmwpowere36m3
can you take pictures? Those hoses are just for fuel vapor overflow, there shouldnt be any oil coming from them
I can try to get pictures tommorrow maybe, but it's no mystery. The spots are directly underneath the tank vent tubes. 
I would have thought that it would only be fuel vapor and overflow, but fuel doesn't leave dark oily spots on the ground. There is no sign of oil anywhere else on the engine - its spotless.

Read response above... done.  It's been noted by other members (you can search the forum) and I've personally experienced it.  Close thread.  Move on.  Next question, please. 

• Global Moderator

Nope
crank vents through the airbox
it is possible that the tubes ejections are hitting your front sprocket guide and pulling off some the accumulated lube fling-off/gunk

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

bmwpowere36m3
Read response above... done.  It's been noted by other members (you can search the forum) and I've personally experienced it.  Close thread.  Move on.  Next question, please.
Seriously? Dafuq....
bad morning?

The heated gasoline (from your fuel tank being heated by the sun's energy) gives off vapors (volatility) that
go down the fuel tank vent hose,  cool down, and condense into a drop of the gasoline's heavier elements
that will not evaporate so easily.
It looks like oil because it is a petroleum product.

AKA:
Normal property of gasoline.

Archived