The MT-07 Forum

NEXX XR2 Carbon Zero helmet review

avanti

• Premium Member

To begin with let me simply say that I’m not a big guy so when I decided to get a new helmet one of my prime objectives was light weight. I’m 68 years old, been riding since just becoming a teen, and am what my mountain-man of a son (6’-5” 300[HASH]s) calls small and “wiry.”

That said, I commenced looking at carbon-fiber helmets some time ago, but only on and off. My ol’ standby served me long and well… shoot, the weird “new” smell had long, long since evaporated, hopefully leaving my lungs pretty much intact! I soon learned that many “carbon” helmets are not made of fully carbon shells. This is, I suppose, for a variety of reasons: cost, strength, technology and/or some combo thereof.

As some of you who dredge the Forum here may recall, a short time back I enquired as to anyone with experience with Simpson’s new carbon helmet… nada. I’ve raced at Bonneville for over a quarter century using nothing but their safety products. The old man, when he still owned the company, used to be very helpful to racers on the Salt if they needed assistance with his equipment—don’t ask how I know… please. But, looking at the reviews of the Simpson, I opted to broaden my search, once more, and start looking in earnest since I decided it was finally time for a change…

I soon identified the NEXX XR2 Carbon Zero as “…the lightest helmet we’ve ever tested” at revzilla. My interest, was of course, piqued. Now, the NEXX is not exactly my cup-o-tea in terms of the all the molded in logos, etc. but, I didn’t consider it obnoxious, either. Admittedly, given my way of doing things, the Simpson with all its easily “peelable” stickers was a big plus, style-wise. But, style is a purely personal issue and each must decided what is acceptable or not. I decided the new NEXX was okay, meaning I could live with it and not expect it to grate on my sensibilities as time and it wore on.

So, after dealing with sizing and being assured by a staff member at ‘zilla that the sizing ran true to form, my 57.5 cm noggin was right in the middle of the range noted for “Medium.” So be it! Decision made. However, I soon discovered no one in the States, that I could find, had a single, solitary medium in stock. Well… that sucked! Ebay had vendors in England with them, but since I was still concerned a smidgeon about size and the possible need to exchange whatever I ended up with, that was out of the question, though in fairness I might add that some of them were cheaper than the $600 delivered that revzilla gets for these.

Revzilla thought they would have new stock in mid-May, hence, I enquired about preordering and prepaying. My gut told me they probably wouldn’t get a s**t-load of them and they might disappear quickly. Nope, no preorders… phooey! My guy at revzilla, though, assured me I’d be “one of the first informed” when they arrived. Okay, I could live with that, and lo-&-behold earlier this week I got an email that “they” had arrived. I was in the midst of something but immediately stopped; went to the proffered link, noting that there was “1” and only 1 in stock; and did the deed. Just out of curiosity, I checked the regular page for the things and it said, “no stock” on all the common sizes, as before, and when I went to the link I’d just used to order it said the same thing. Hence, my gut feeling about the Stateside supply was correct or some unknown number of lucky (imho) USAers ordered before me. Which do you think?

Yesterday, late Friday afternoon in the midst of a serious thunderstorm, my all too familiar UPS driver backed up to my shop and handed me a large, lightweight box. Since I’d been following tracking, this was no surprise. The surprise was that the suggestion I’d offered the UPS guy to fix his ailing truck had worked!!! Wow, we BOTH lucked out, since I see him all too often!

Finally, having set the stage in my usual terse fashion (I used to write for a living, among other things) on to the helmet and my opinions there of… first, as you might suspect, is the issue of weight. On this variable the Carbon Zero does NOT disappoint! I went by the local “Pack & Pay” I use to ship stuff and weight parts to discover the weight of the NEXX right out of the box to be 2.8# on their certified scale, or 1270gms—exactly the same as noted on one of the independent gear review sites. The helmet tag states “1300grs without accessories.” My old full-facer was 1669gms, making the new one about 24% lighter than my old one; or, if you prefer, the old one was about 31% heavier than the NEXX (yeah, okay, I was also a researcher and statistician). Believe me, this matters. On head, it seems like it cannot possibly be a “real” helmet; only a toy could be so light on the neck. For me, this in and of itself is sufficient to justify buying the NEXX, all else being equal or nearly so. But, like style, to each his or her own, of course.

I was fortunate this afternoon that the weather cleared long enough I could take a ten mile jaunt and test the new NEXX where it counts, on the smooth, twisty backwoods roads of Northern Louisiana. One of the qualities noted about the Carbon Zero in all reviews is its field of view, which I can only describe as truly excellent. I’ve a particular stretch of road with no cross-roads and only one house where I sometimes tend to “roost” a bit, my only real concern being errant deer—the killer of more Americans than any other animal. Great field of vision. And, a note about NEXX new shield retention system many still gripe about. If anyone has concerns about the pressure needed to dislodge it in the process of removal, I’d suggest watching the revzilla vid for the helmet (I’d say the same about removing/installing the uniquely attached guts, as well).

Fit and finish on mine is fine, one reviewer said his carbon-fiber didn’t match up perfectly at the back and another (as I recall) said the innards on his weren’t installed correctly… neither problem I experienced. As for ventilation, it was in the 80’s today and it was adequate. I’ll know more about this when summer arrives and it gets hot and HUMID. I’ll note that I could actually tell the difference with the vents open and closed. As for noise, it is not the quietest and not the loudest. I rode today without ear-protection in order to get the best idea possible of sound level though, admittedly, I did not have the means to actually measure it, as I’d have liked. With plugs, it’s fine. Visor seal gives every indication of being tight and leak-free. Admittedly, I try not to ride in the rain so with luck I’ll never know more about this.

One more thing… I normally peel and pitch all stickers, but there is one I’m leaving on the NEXX and that is the one in red that notes there are straps on the bottoms of the cheek-pads for emergency removal in case of an emergency. A friend was an EMT in New York for years before being wrecked on a run and injured himself; he relates cutting off helmets to try and not cause further injury; this may be a quicker option in some critical situations.

Yet, this helmet is not perfect; what ever truly is? I’m sure after it breaks-in a bit it will not try to tear off my ears each time I remove it. I’m thinking its already a little better having been on and removed a half-dozen or more times now. Also, the strap the “buckle” thingee (which is standard fair with considerable padding and a snap for the end) is a little too long for my liking. I’d prefer it a bit more to the side when fastened. It’s about in the middle of my chin/neck. Now, I have to add that isn’t because I could easily be mistaken for a serious Harley rider when I untuck my long, full gray beard and pony-tail. Indeed, I rather delight in pulling up on a sport bike at the Waffle House (if you don’t know what this is, ask a southern-fried friend sometime) with a group of “Hoggers,” parking my bike nearby, pulling off my full-face helmet, and “shaking out” my hair!

So, what have I inadvertently omitted? I ask you. If you wish to know anything else about the NEXX Carbon Zero, don’t hesitate to ask. I think it will make a good long-term traveling companion…and, thus far my neck heartily agrees!

A couple of pix, as well. What you see is what you get.

• Premium Member

An update, I see all sizes are now listed at revzilla.

Hi,

Thanks for the review.

Pleasant to read and well made!

As I am myself very small weighted with a small head (and love the look of carbon fiber), I find this helmet quite interesting! 

Yet, a few more things I like to know:

-On your picture, I can see there's a pinlock on the screen... Am I right? Did you had any occasion to see if it's working well?

-Did you had the occasion to test it at (quite) high speed to see how the aerodynamic is?

-There's no sunscreen, right?

Baniere%20300x60_zpstsvyokit.jpg

Ok, I've been doing some research and... Well you've just found the helmet of my dreams: same as you but with red designs!!!

And because it's Portuguese, it's even really affordable here in France!!!

MAXMOTO_nexx-xr2-carbon-pure-black-yellow_FRONTAL_ROJO_L.jpg

Baniere%20300x60_zpstsvyokit.jpg

• Premium Member

Dirk, your picture is of the "Carbon Pure" (not Carbon Zero) and in the States it is $50 cheaper and constructed somewhat differently in that it is listed as a little heavier (all from my memory when doing research, so "truth and facts" may vary when checked).

Yes, the Carbon Zero comes equipped ready for pin-locks but the shield is sold extra. No drop-down sun shield, either; such is the price of lightest weight, I suppose.

No, I have not been over a few quick surges to 70mph. I just haven't yet had the riding opportunity yet. It commenced storming again today just as I decided to hit the road, but to 70mph it seemed fine to me. I did intentionally follow a truck pretty closely at 60mph to check buffeting and was pleased with the lack thereof.

One final thing I may not have mentioned in my tome above is that the helmet is noticeably noisier (more wind noise--no ear plugs) when fully tucked without a proper windscreen.

I'll also add that the fit-adjusters (2mm and 4mm foam) seem nearly worthless to me, though I've not had a need to try them.  The reason I say this is that the foam is VERY soft and I cannot imagine either piece being noticeable when installed, and I cannot think that whatever they are meant to do in terms of taking up space last very long, but I maybe wrong.  I suspect one could probably come up with more effective foam on ones own, if necessary.

I hope this helps, Dirk. Anything else, please, do let me know.

• Global Moderator

Excellent write up @avanti, thank you for sharing.

• Premium Member

My pleasure, Guru; thanks for taking the time to drop the kind words.

Gotta say, that is one of the nicest chin curtains I have ever seen. I know what you mean about a lighter helmet. Getting that weight off your neck makes such a huge difference. Sounds like the Nexx is a solid choice.

Archived