The MT-07 Forum

Quick Shifter

ccam7374

• Premium Member

A quickshifter is a sensor placed upon your shift rod that senses you are shifting and automatically cuts the throttle for a few milliseconds so you don't have to roll off the throttle when you shift up through the gears. Not really necessary unless you are tracking the bike or have money to burn.

Guest ChicagoAJ
A quickshifter is a sensor placed upon your shift rod that senses you are shifting and automatically cuts the throttle for a few milliseconds so you don't have to roll off the throttle when you shift up through the gears. Not really necessary unless you are tracking the bike or have money to burn.
And you can do it yourself with just a small blip of your wrist. I never clutch for upshifts after 3rd gear unless I'm really riding hard.

randy2100

Just about as useful as an exhaust, unless you are holding a cell phone in your left hand and are in a hurry. It does have entertainment value though.

• Premium Member
So even with a quick shifter you still have to use the clutch correct?
yes

Why would anyone want to put on a quick shifter if you still have to use the clutch? Good Grief!

bmwpowere36m3
Why would anyone want to put on a quick shifter if you still have to use the clutch? Good Grief!

You still need it to start and stop, to a degree shifting at lower RPM as well. However higher RPM shifts can be done without the clutch.

It has it's benefits.. but you can learn to clutch-less shift just the same. Maybe milliseconds slower. If I'm accelerating moderate or quickly, I prefer to clutch-less shift. Its smoother and quicker.

However, I encourage any rider to learn to shift smoothly with the clutch. With time and practice you'll get better. It should be a basic skill of any rider. Then you can play around with clutch-less shifting. Honestly if only get a quick shifter if I was racing.

pantheraleo

I love my quickshifter on my R6.

Why? Because it's fun. I still need to use my clutch all the time. Sometimes you don't use it because of RPM, the traffic situation, etc.

Some of the comments on this thread seem like they are being made by people who have never been on a bike with a quickshifter. It makes your bike faster, smoother in turns, and has been proven to give 90% of its riders a case of the grins.

O judgment! Thou art fled to brutish beasts,
And men have lost their reason. Bear with me.
My heart is in the coffin there with Caesar,
And I must pause...till it come back to me.

How it works was explained so I'll only say this. If you're racing your bike it may be worth it but if not I personally think it's a waste of money unless you simply want to get away from clutching for some reason. Sometimes I feel I have a reason, it's when my hands starts hurting from arthritis I start shifting without the clutch to ease the pain and stiffness so that can be done instead of spending money on a quick shifter. It's a skill you have to learn, though.

Beemer

• 1 month later...

I don't know guys what you're on about. But all the quick shifter I've ever seen was clutchles. Maybe there is an old model or I don't but I think that is way it's called quick shifter. Because you don't need to use clutch.

I don't know guys what you're on about. But all the quick shifter I've ever seen was clutchles. Maybe there is an old model or I don't but I think that is way it's called quick shifter. Because you don't need to use clutch.
That's what I was thinking. I thought the point of a quick shifter is to shift without using the clutch or letting off the throttle and only using the clutch to take off from a stop.

That's what I was thinking. I thought the point of a quick shifter is to shift without using the clutch or letting off the throttle and only using the clutch to take off from a stop.

I've heard about cheaper quick shifter where you have to let off the throttle but the more advanced one you don't need to. Here is a short demonstration:

I have used quickshifters on race bikes. On a short tight track a lot of money for very little gain. On a bigger track can save you vital time especially is multi shift situations like a straight or s bend to a higher gear corner. Actually removed mine as our track was very short and tight. Just another thing to maintain.
On the road really only bragging rights ( and they sound good to people who know what the sound difference is ...which is not many). No real use except MAYBE with ones that allow downshifts when you are in an emergency situation.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

• 2 weeks later...
I have used quickshifters on race bikes. On a short tight track a lot of money for very little gain. On a bigger track can save you vital time especially is multi shift situations like a straight or s bend to a higher gear corner. Actually removed mine as our track was very short and tight. Just another thing to maintain. On the road really only bragging rights ( and they sound good to people who know what the sound difference is ...which is not many). No real use except MAYBE with ones that allow downshifts when you are in an emergency situation.
After seeing panchobullets (?) write up a while back on quickshifters, I decided I'd like to try one but after reading this I have a few questions.  
First, what's the increased maintenance requirements?

Second, why would you need to remove it, can't you just shift like normal with the clutch with out being able to notice any QS input?

And just a comment, I can't see it as a waste of money, there's been days when my cold numb hands would have loved a QS option, yeah, I think I'm sold.

• Premium Member

The quick shifter is a nice feature..I can speed shift fairly well but with the quick shifter I noticed I can gain almost 5mph on my test road compared to not using it... I would leave the quick shifter to advance riders who need an extra trick up the sleeve,this equipment can hurt you aND or bike more than you think if you are not experienced rider.., 98% of the benfits is track use..taking off up to a few secs per lap adds up...I actually turned the downshift off...if you are fairly comfortable using a quickshift you can actually pop the front wheel up about 6 inches when banging thru the gears just right...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

• Premium Member
panchobullet

I have the Annitori QS Pro and I love it. I made a review not long ago in case you want to take a look but long story short if you can get one go get it NOW! :D

Oh and btw, you should totally ask to @bellissimoto for a quote on a quick shifter. I'm pretty sure they can do something about it so ask!

My review in here:
http://fz07.org/thread/5210/annitori-2016-install-test-review

- Pancho

You've never seen me cause I'm too damn fast!

Fearedbynone
So even with a quick shifter you still have to use the clutch correct?
yes
no you do not use the clutch. thats why they call it a quick shifter, it cuts the throttle when you shift just like you cut the throttle when you clutchless shift.

Dave

• Premium Member
phicurious86
yes
no you do not use the clutch. thats why they call it a quick shifter, it cuts the throttle when you shift just like you cut the throttle when you clutchless shift. 
Dave
I think Sol was alluding to the fact that you still need to use the clutch to downshift and may prefer to use the clutch for low rpm shifting and the shift from 1st to 2nd.

Markster,
First I should point that on the track I am an extreme weight weenie. If it weighs more than nothing and it doesn't improve my times or safety then it goes.
Maintenence: It continually drifted the shift point and had to be adjusted. Probably because of the savage way I tend to shift on the track. And I had to remove it to do change CS sprockets so fiddley to get back just right.
I still don't see the point for the street. What advantage is it going to produce...quicker shifts. Why?

Dave
I think Sol was alluding to the fact that you still need to use the clutch to downshift and may prefer to use the clutch for low rpm shifting and the shift from 1st to 2nd.
You don't need to use the clutch to downshift with the QS Pro. Clearly, the clutch is needed for slower gear changes though. 

Markster, First I should point that on the track I am an extreme weight weenie. If it weighs more than nothing and it doesn't improve my times or safety tquicker aspecthen it goes.
Maintenence: It continually drifted the shift point and had to be adjusted. Probably because of the savage way I tend to shift on the track. And I had to remove it to do change CS sprockets so fiddley to get back just right.
I still don't see the point for the street. What advantage is it going to produce...quicker shifts. Why?
Thanks gregjet, I'm with you on the weight issue but not sure I understand the drifting shift point. For the street question, I was more interested in the clutchless rather than the  quicker aspect of it, tired, stiff, older hands and all.  

• Premium Member

Mark...I personally think the quick shift is not really practical for every day commuting...when I actually do use my quick shifter on a daily commute is like when one speed bombs the freeway entrance for example because I'm shifting at 7-7.5k rpms and my hand does not let off the throttle...the quick shifter is not really practical when let's say trying to shift at 4k rpms just putting around town if that's what your thinking...as for weight it's barely the weight of 2 cig pack to me...I mainly use the quick shifter like less than 5% of the time on the road for everyday riding...my main use for the quick shifter is cuz I enjoy hitting the local drag strip on Friday nights when I can...as far as maintaining it, I dunno what there is to do upkeep on?? I use the Anntorri brand quick shifter... this quick brand of shifter only engages if it senses the pressure value you set it at for when you go to use your foot to shift up for example..you can actually miss shift if you do not do a proper upshift with your foot or if you actually let off the gas for a twitch when you are so used to " speed shifting" cuz of muscle memory...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

Drag racing and quick shifts are pretty much mandatory combination.

Archived