The MT-07 Forum

Quick Shifter

ccam7374

I use my quick shifter almost 100% of the time.
On the street with an exhaust sounds so good, and it's just so smooth and easy why wouldn't you use it?

Fearedbynone
no you do not use the clutch. thats why they call it a quick shifter, it cuts the throttle when you shift just like you cut the throttle when you clutchless shift. 
Dave
I think Sol was alluding to the fact that you still need to use the clutch to downshift and may prefer to use the clutch for low rpm shifting and the shift from 1st to 2nd.
Point taken and agreed, only need the clutch to stop and low speed shifts. quick shifters are nice, but not a necessity. i clutchless shift all the time without one. just let off the gas for a split second and shift up. same with downshifting. put a little down pressure on the shift lever and blip the throttle. 
Dave

• Premium Member
howworkclutch

no need for a quick-shift on this bike. just practice.

a couple of different people saw me run at rockingham dragway and stop by the pits to ask about quick-shift and air-shift setup on my bike. i don't have any of that. lots of impressed folks at the dragway that day.

run the akro ti without baffles on the strip: everyone can hear how good/bad a pilot you are :)

-HowWorkClutch

• 4 weeks later...
I have used quickshifters on race bikes. On a short tight track a lot of money for very little gain. On a bigger track can save you vital time especially is multi shift situations like a straight or s bend to a higher gear corner. Actually removed mine as our track was very short and tight. Just another thing to maintain. On the road really only bragging rights ( and they sound good to people who know what the sound difference is ...which is not many). No real use except MAYBE with ones that allow downshifts when you are in an emergency situation.
Sorta ironic isn't it? With motor vehicles having a manual transmission is what you brag over. Automatics are for people that can't drive. Yet in the case of a bike, changing it to, for all intents and purposes, a semiautomatic, is worth bragging over.

Boy oh boy.

9 out of 10 senior citizens choose clutchless because it's awesome! 

[attachment id=2162" thumbnail="1] subarashii!!! 

Sorry, had to. 
[span]  [/span]

Beemer

I am a senior citizen and I had to travel 400km to be able to buy a manual version of my car. The locals only stocked god aweful CVVT's.
Still dual clutch gearboxes on motorcycles will probably become the way ( another weight addition to the overweightedness of modern bikes just so you don't have to pull the clutch in between shifts).

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

Guest ChicagoAJ
no need for a quick-shift on this bike. just practice.  
a couple of different people saw me run at rockingham dragway and stop by the pits to ask about quick-shift and air-shift setup on my bike. i don't have any of that. lots of impressed folks at the dragway that day.

run the akro ti without baffles on the strip: everyone can hear how good/bad a pilot you are :)
Times and traps, please.

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member

A quick shifter cuts the ignition for a split second, so that you can shift clutchless at part or full throttle. Clutchless shifting otherwise requires the rider to let off the throttle momentarily.

Has anyone tried the power commander quick shifter on their fz07?

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

Archived