The MT-07 Forum

Replace levers?

alexj

Thinking of replacing my stock brake and clutch levers with CRG levers. I have big hands "for a girl", but find the clutch lever is a wide grip. Suggestions from fellow FZ owners appreciated.

Alex

07echelon

Wide, as in your left hand is further out on the handle bar to fit comfortably on the lever? Not really sure what you mean, others might though.

Some who upgrade do it to get shorty levers + looks. That way you're not pinching your outer most fingers when 2 fingering the clutch. Others do it just for looks.

If you're reaching out too far/little you can adjust the amount of free play in the clutch as a pseudo-solution. The friction zone travel will always be the same, just when it kicks in will be different.

Guest ChicagoAJ
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-CNC-Folding-Extending-Brake-Clutch-Levers-For-YAMAHA-MT-09-SR-FZ-2014-2015-/141976433509?fits=Model%3AFZ07&hash=item210e747365:g:WVwAAOSwQJhUhCSb&vxp=mtr

In my experience across multiple bikes, pricey levers aren't worth it. Especially some $150+ ones. I had the above linked levers on two previous bikes for a couple years each and they were just fine. Put about 10-15k miles on each bike. Plus with 6 settings on each lever to adjust for reach/comfort you can't really go wrong. Those fold and extend/retract too so you can make it a "shorty" lever or a long lever. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-CNC-Folding-Extending-Brake-Clutch-Levers-For-YAMAHA-MT-09-SR-FZ-2014-2015-/141976433509?fits=Model%3AFZ07&hash=item210e747365:g:WVwAAOSwQJhUhCSb&vxp=mtr 

In my experience across multiple bikes, pricey levers aren't worth it. Especially some $150+ ones. I had the above linked levers on two previous bikes for a couple years each and they were just fine. Put about 10-15k miles on each bike. Plus with 6 settings on each lever to adjust for reach/comfort you can't really go wrong. Those fold and extend/retract too so you can make it a "shorty" lever or a long lever. 
I agree, I got mine from ebay shipped from China and have been using them on this bike for 1.5 years so far and have no problems.  Mine were a bit more though, $24.

Guest ChicagoAJ

I agree, I got mine from ebay shipped from China and have been using them on this bike for 1.5 years so far and have no problems.  Mine were a bit more though, $24.
Lowest I've seen was $6.50 free shipping, I don't think I'd go that low, however. I'll probably be picking up a set in the near future but the levers on these FZs are a perfect fit for my hands and are the only stock levers I've actually liked. 

bigdaddybane

I just ordered mine from EBay (coming from China) and I hope they'll arrive by March next year ....

Guest ChicagoAJ
I just ordered mine from EBay (coming from China) and I hope they'll arrive by March next year ....
I've been doing a lot of CheBaying lately. Slowest arriving item only took 16 days. Not bad at all. 

• Global Moderator

I love my adjustable levers. I got a set of Chinese ones a year ago and have been very happy with them. I really like the ability to set them to a comfortable position. The stock clutch lever was too far away for me.

AlbatrossCafe
These levers that are linked are gold (not literally, I got mine in "black/blue/black" color scheme to almost match the 2015 Blurple). Less than $40 and they get here in 10 days or so. 10-minute install, look good, solid quality, adjustable, light, 7k miles without problems, you can buy almost any color combo you can think of... do I need to keep going?

Here are some pics I found of mine:

http://i.imgur.com/ViUxdyw.jpg http://i.imgur.com/YzOqOX0.jpg http://i.imgur.com/ohQKoY9.jpg

bmwpowere36m3

I had the "chinese" ones... ended up replacing them with CRG shorties. Their fit and finish is better, less slop and the curve of the lever suits me better.

They weren't cheap, but I splurged...

I had cheap Chinese ebay ones on my previous bike and they worked very well. I only paid about $25 free shipping. For that price you really can't go wrong.

• 5 weeks later...

I received a pair of chinese levers from eBay today and installed them. I got the link off one of these threads and the guy said they were great for him. They seem very sloppy. There is a lot of up and down play at the allen head bolt where it pivots. I tightened it and no improvement. Anyone else had these problems? Im considering removing and sending back, not reassuring riding with cheap parts that you're constantly applying pressure to. I knew it was a risk at $23 but all the good reviews on here made me bite.

Also it didn't seem the little rod for the master cylinder sits in quite as far on these vs the stock brake lever. Am i just too anal?, are you guys riding around with these same issues?

• Premium Member

I've been through 2 sets of ebay levers. One was so sloppy it was worthless, the other fit nice and performed fantastic and solved the problem of long reach on the stockers, but the black anodizing started to look like poo after a few months (and I don't keep my bike outside). That motivated me to suck it up fork out the extra (but still reasonable) for a set of Pazzo shorties.  They claim their anodizing process is superior. They work great, look great, haven't turned to poo yet, and the reach (at the lower settings) is much less than stock.

Why can't left turners see us?

Maybe I just got a defective one. The brake lever pivot point feels much better than the clutch side, it is just way too sloppy for me to feel good about riding. Anybody else disappointed with the ebay ones? Again, i knew there was a good chance of them being junk, i figured for $23 id take a shot.

designslucid

I got a pair of EBay, adjustable length and they fold up, in the event of a lay down. So far, so good and $26 shipped. I like them better than stock, though they are Chinese made and seem kind of toyish in feel off the bike. On the bike, I haven't noticed much of an issue.

maygoddess

I came  here to ask the same question. I just bought the FZ-07 and have not ridden it alot but just realized today while riding home from the shop I had my break in inspection done..I hate the stock levers. My GSXR-600, my first bike that is now my track bike, I immediately changed to Pazzo levers..love them..NOT shorties..hate shorties..I am female with average female hands and stocks on any bike or just too big for me to be comfy. My Triumph Bonneville I changed out to ASV levers. This is what the shop sold specifically for that bike, so I went for those at time of purchase and had them installed. Love those for that bike. I had a GSXR 750 I bought used that came with CRG shorties..hate the shorty part but they were nice levers. I am thinking Pazzo's for this bike. Buying cheap chinese levers scare me..they are the controls for your bike.

I just wanted to see what levers folks here were using if they did change out. Seems like the same options as the GSXR.

martyinaustin

second (or third) for Pazzo...though i did shorties as well. it took me a minute to get used to them but now i actually love them. i use the "ball" on the end
as much as the lever shaft at times. i'm 5'10" male w/ "normal" hands.

m.

i love my CNG levers. i got them because i needed adjustments for the brake lever; the stock brake lever was just too far for me to do proper rev-matched downshifts. quality seems spot on imo

a friend of mine told me he snapped a chinese shorty lever once, during a casual ride. sooooooooo. yeah. but it doesn't seem like these would break anytime soon though

bmwpowere36m3

CRG RC2 shorties... very nice, but $100+ than Chinese ones on eBay. Better none-the-less, YMMV.

I recommend some nice, adjustable, shorty levers. Price, Quality and color is up to you.

Beemer

• Premium Member
I received a pair of chinese levers from eBay today and installed them. I got the link off one of these threads and the guy said they were great for him. They seem very sloppy. There is a lot of up and down play at the allen head bolt where it pivots. I tightened it and no improvement. Anyone else had these problems? Im considering removing and sending back, not reassuring riding with cheap parts that you're constantly applying pressure to. I knew it was a risk at $23 but all the good reviews on here made me bite. 
Also it didn't seem the little rod for the master cylinder sits in quite as far on these vs the stock brake lever. Am i just too anal?, are you guys riding around with these same issues?
Did you remember to transfer the bushing form the stock clutch lever to the new one? Without that step there is a lot of side to side  play.

I also would like to change out my levers and have looked at several. I have ruled out the "cheap" ones but still don't know what I want. Can someone tell me the advantages or disadvantages to the shorty levers? I am male 5'7" 180 lbs. and wear a medium glove, if that makes a difference.

AlbatrossCafe
I also would like to change out my levers and have looked at several. I have ruled out the "cheap" ones but still don't know what I want. Can someone tell me the advantages or disadvantages to the shorty levers? I am male 5'7" 180 lbs. and wear a medium glove, if that makes a difference.
Why rule out the cheap ones? They are just as good as any other at 1/5 the price. 

Why rule out the cheap ones? They are just as good as any other at 1/5 the price.
I live in the desert and my bike is sitting out in the sun all day while I'm at work. I have read too many reviews on the cheap levers fading quickly from the sun.  

AlbatrossCafe
I live in the desert and my bike is sitting out in the sun all day while I'm at work. I have read too many reviews on the cheap levers fading quickly from the sun.
The expensive ones will still fade, albeit just a little more slowly. You could buy 3 Chinese levers and replace once a year or so, and the color would probably outlast the expensive levers. And you still save yourself 2/5 the price. 
lol ignore me though. I'm a cheap bastard

Archived