The MT-07 Forum

Boots?

ccam7374

What is a good all around boot to where while riding and while off of the bike? When I used to ride it was either work type boots or tennis shoes.

bmwpowere36m3

Motorcycle boots, like any specialty footwear is a compromise. You want a better, more protective riding boot or something more casual, comfortable to walk around in a lot? How much do you want to spend.

Go on Revzilla and search what they have, tons of reviews and helpful people other there.

Personally I wear Alpinestars SMX-3's... not all out race boots, but certainly wouldn't want to walk all day with them if I have a choice. There are by no means uncomfortable, their actually very comfortable while riding and short walks. However they have a stiffer sole and less cushioning.... so not great for a lot of walking.

I carry a set of sandals or shoes in my backpack to change into once I get to my destination. At work I keep a spare pair of shoes.

• Global Moderator
Motorcycle boots, like any specialty footwear is a compromise. You want a better, more protective riding boot or something more casual, comfortable to walk around in a lot? How much do you want to spend. 
Go on Revzilla and search what they have, tons of reviews and helpful people other there.

Personally I wear Alpinestars SMX-3's... not all out race boots, but certainly wouldn't want to walk all day with them if I have a choice. There are by no means uncomfortable, their actually very comfortable while riding and short walks. However they have a stiffer sole and less cushioning.... so not great for a lot of walking.

I carry a set of sandals or shoes in my backpack to change into once I get to my destination. At work I keep a spare pair of shoes.
I have the same boots, i would disagree with you bmw
i have worn these for several(6+) hours at a time through school
after break-in these are the most comfortoble boots ive ever owned
only drawback is the squeak from the heel while walking
and the heavy almost tap dance like sound while walking down a hallway

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

topazsparrow

Call me crazy, but I don't see what's wrong with a good pair of work boots. They're usually leather and built to take a beating. Good ones usually have metatarsal protection as well.

I've got a pair of Alpinestar riding boots but like all motorcycle boots there is next to no tread pattern on them so wearing them when not riding isn't great. With my work boots I can hop off the bike and go for a hike - which I quite enjoy doing.

I've had my Alpinestars SMX-5s for like 6 years now. I like the stiffness of the boots for shifting, and the toe sliders are pretty great to have. I've also crashed in them and they're still in pretty great shape, and they did a great job of protecting my ankles, heels, and feet. Since they go up higher than the SMX-3s they won't be as comfortable I'm guessing, but I wear them all day all the time and they're fine for walking. If you need to do more flexible and fast movements like running or jumping in them then they're definitely not the best, but I've done all that stuff in them too.

• Premium Member
Call me crazy, but I don't see what's wrong with a good pair of work boots. They're usually leather and built to take a beating. Good ones usually have metatarsal protection as well. 
I've got a pair of Alpinestar riding boots but like all motorcycle boots there is next to no tread pattern on them so wearing them when not riding isn't great. With my work boots I can hop off the bike and go for a hike - which I quite enjoy doing.
A work boot isnt going to help you if your foot/ leg gets pinned under the bike and dragged down the street. Bye bye ankle. I guess it depends on what you feel most safe riding in and what compromises you are willing to make to accommodate your daily routine.

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

The fiance bought me an early gift of Sidi Roarr boots for my birthday and I have to say it instills so much more confidence when riding! You feel so much more protected and secure that you can focus on riding than what will happen of you go down on your ankle. I tried riding to a buddies place with my regular shoes on and it felt scary almost. I could feel the wind wisping around my ankle area and felt insecure knowing that if anything happened my ankles and feet were fully exposed to the thrash of the asphalt. They're very comfy boots to even walk around in, but generally I'll carry normal shoes in a backpack for when I get to my destination.

'15 Pearl White FZ-07 | Yoshi R77 Exhaust | ECU Reflash | Mad Hornets Shorty Levers | EvoTech Rad Guard | Yamaha Comfort Saddle | TST Industries Integrated Taillight | Motodynamics Fender Eliminator | Yamaha OEM Front LED Signals | Phillips MaxVision 130+ Bulb | OES Front/Rear Axle Sliders | Driven Racing TT Rearsets | Woodcraft 1.5" Clip-Ons | Woodcraft Engine & Water Pump Crash Cover | OEM Motocage Cage | LEDGlow SMD Mini Advanced Lighting Kit | Gilles Tooling Gauge Relocation Kit |

• Premium Member
The fiance bought me an early gift of Sidi Roarr boots for my birthday and I have to say it instills so much more confidence when riding! You feel so much more protected and secure that you can focus on riding than what will happen of you go down on your ankle. I tried riding to a buddies place with my regular shoes on and it felt scary almost. I could feel the wind wisping around my ankle area and felt insecure knowing that if anything happened my ankles and feet were fully exposed to the thrash of the asphalt. They're very comfy boots to even walk around in, but generally I'll carry normal shoes in a backpack for when I get to my destination.
Nice! A fine fiance you have there. I have a pair of sidi vertigo boots, they're armoured in all the right places. Love em. Definitely not the best to walk around in but thats the compromise i make to feel the same as you, confident and safe. I see these people zipping around in tanktops and skate shoes etc and I gotta say it looks so refreshing and tempting, though it makes me think of the consequences of the "what-if".  Ive never ridden without full gear; it freaks me out, especially after looking at pics online.  Ive got far too much at stake if I get f'd up and cant work. ATGATT no matter what. 

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

@mrpuss Yessir the fiance is def worthy of wifey material! Lol but yeah I see squids all the time here in LA riding with no gear. EVEN IN FLIP FLOPS! Weird as it sounds, I sometimes like to watch street riding crash compilation videos to remind myself how fast it can all happen even if you've taken the same route to work/home for years. Besides, who doesn't like looking badass in leathers? :cool: :thumbup:

'15 Pearl White FZ-07 | Yoshi R77 Exhaust | ECU Reflash | Mad Hornets Shorty Levers | EvoTech Rad Guard | Yamaha Comfort Saddle | TST Industries Integrated Taillight | Motodynamics Fender Eliminator | Yamaha OEM Front LED Signals | Phillips MaxVision 130+ Bulb | OES Front/Rear Axle Sliders | Driven Racing TT Rearsets | Woodcraft 1.5" Clip-Ons | Woodcraft Engine & Water Pump Crash Cover | OEM Motocage Cage | LEDGlow SMD Mini Advanced Lighting Kit | Gilles Tooling Gauge Relocation Kit |

• Premium Member
@mrpuss Yessir the fiance is def worthy of wifey material! Lol but yeah I see squids all the time here in LA riding with no gear. EVEN IN FLIP FLOPS! Weird as it sounds, I sometimes like to watch street riding crash compilation videos to remind myself how fast it can all happen even if you've taken the same route to work/home for years. Besides, who doesn't like looking badass in leathers? :cool: :thumbup:
Yeah, these guys,  I dunno about their thought processes, but whatever, its their ass. I have zero sympathy for them if they bite it.  I do the same (vids) as a reminder to not screw around in general, as well as to search out possible hazzards. I have nice quality Dainese leather pants and jacket and Racer R-safe gloves. I also picked up a Helite airvest. This stuff can get pretty toasty at times but it does instill confidence/safety,  and like you say it does look super bad ass, almost like I know what Im doing out there (even though  im still figuring out this riding thing). Not to mention my wife thinks its all pretty hot looking so that alone makes it worth while.

If you've got some dough to burn check out the custom made gear from "Motoport.com".  Highend stuff and according to owners, worth every penny. Can't wait to try out their pants. But here I'am de-railing a boots thread.....

sansnombre

@ccam7374
I have a brand new pair of Alpine Stars SMX-5 for sale. They are size 44. Brand new. Never worn. In the box. Black. Wrong size for me and I got 43. Most likely can ship them to you for $195 if you're interested. Let me know if you're interested. They are posted somewhere else on this site . . .

I also have a pair I'm wearing and they're great. Lot's of coverage and protection, so they're kinda bulky. Comfortable though.

• Premium Member

I have the Dianese Asphalt CB2 boots, and the are pretty good protection for a low boot, and really comfortable.  Still not as comfy as my running shoes though.

Why can't left turners see us?

I have a pair of tcx x-miles and I love them. They are waterproof, comfortable on and off the bike, and when your pants are over them they just look like a dark pair of shoes. I like these more compared to tcx's other street offerings because they still provide a high level of protection with the tall boot as apposed to the converse style shoes they sell.

topazsparrow
A work boot isnt going to help you if your foot/ leg gets pinned under the bike and dragged down the street. Bye bye ankle. I guess it depends on what you feel most safe riding in and what compromises you are willing to make to accommodate your daily routine.

I disagree, but probably because what I use for a workboot might not be what you're thinking of. 
I use these: http://weaverdevore.ca/products-page/summer-work-wear/safety-footwear-summer-work-wear/safety-boots-8-10/stc-hardrock-ctp-saftey-boot/

Had the same pair for over 4 years now and they're still holding up great. My Alpinestars are fine but for the same price, they don't offer the same versatility. It was great being able to wear them on my dual sport as well. They're waterproof but still breath well (goretex) so they don't get too hot. I'll admit they're probably not ideal for street touring specifically, but I wanted something for when I get off the bike as well.

I think the boots should hold up fine in a slide. They're tough as nails and if that does happen, I've got bigger problems than some shaved down ankle bones.

bmwpowere36m3

Still just work boots... no hard protection, ankle restraint system or sliders. Definitely better than sneakers or flip-flops.

lexstar828

Great boots and cheaper than Revzilla
http://www.burnoutitaly.com/alpinestars-air-plus-gore-tex-xcr-boots

http://www.burnoutitaly.com/tcx-airtech-evo-gore-tex-boots

5% discount code iloveburnoutitaly

* I am not affiliated with them in any way.

#weridenyc
2012 FZ8 (Grizzly)
IXIL Hyperlow XL L3X Exhaust
CRG Levers
Traf-X LED Turn Signals
OES Frame Sliders

• Premium Member

I'm going to second tcx. Great footwear. I have the x-rap wp and the x-blend. Both are comfortable off the bike. Now I would not go on any long hikes with them, but for a day at work you could definitely do worse for footwear.

captainfz07

Depends on what kind of work you do, if you need steel toe protection or cavelar for construction or similar I would go for icons, if you are looking for a motorcycle summer shoes with lots of air flow that feels like sneakers when you get off, I would get these good price.
Dianese motorshoe air.

Simbadc650

well i got 2 pairs of different alpinestars, looking for a 3rd set. I think they all look super bitchin, i wear them to and around work if I can just to hear that stomp on the ground, wishing i can leave the shethole work and be wisked away by my Scully.
1. alpinestars faster series
2. smx ankle high boots
3. looking for that stylish full length boot

• Global Moderator
jeffkisthename

I just bought these two. Get them this week!

2b9f8e34b97e2fe5e7e4c3d6b475a2c6.jpg

a11f64c02852df655d9a62f978f23048.jpg

SigSide.jpg

I have the Dianese Asphalt CB2 boots, and the are pretty good protection for a low boot, and really comfortable.  Still not as comfy as my running shoes though.
I wish those came in EE/EEE width. Damn wide feet!

Beemer

What is a good all around boot to where while riding and while off of the bike? When I used to ride it was either work type boots or tennis shoes.
I too was interested in something that could be comfortably worn off as well as on the bike.  Never do any stunts or track riding, so a simple sturdy boot seemed to be the most practical.   I laughed at first at Guru's post below, but then started looking into the Frye line:

Apr 12, 2015 15:45:02 GMT -4 Guru said:

I think I posted them somewhere else before but I wear my Frey's. Make me feel like a real man!

IMG_1525.jpg

Thanks Guru, for bringing them to my attention, but damn they are expensive!  Fortunately I found a pair of their Harness 8R on Ebay, for "only" $85 shipped.  They were virtually new, and I had them broke in within a month.  Nicest footwear I've ever owned, and I get complements on them frequently.  NEVER had that before.  I'm not saying they're worth their full list price, but close to it.  Definitely a nice motorcycle boot to knock around in when you're not riding.

“The real cycle you're working on is a cycle called yourself.”
— Robert M. Pirsig (Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values)

Archived