The MT-07 Forum

noise/vibration issue and solution

rick

I normally ride with ear plugs, but my 1st couple rides this spring were going to be short so I left them home. 

I started noticing some buzzing/vibration noises, but only in 2nd gear somewhere between 3 and 5k and only during acceleration. Beyond those RPMs or in another gear, nothing beyond normal. With the earplugs in, I never noticed it, so I don't know how long it's been doing this.  

Well, it turned out to be the left side mount for the radiator where it just sits on a pin with a rubber grommet as a bumper.  The radiator could move quite a bit on this mount - far more than necessary. The horn also hangs there and was probably going into some resonance at the right motor speed and gear and that sounded like a buzz.

The fix: I took a thin o-ring I had sitting around and rolled it over the top of the grommet from right to left -  that tightened the grommet to radiator junction and there's now far less movement. Could probably squeeze some RTV in there as well, if you don't have an assortment of stuff in the basement

No more noise. Took a 50 mile ride yesterday w/o plugs and what I was hearing before was gone.  

won't help the folk who are hearing ticking sounds, but there have been enough mystery noises. I suspect someone else has listened to this one as well.

Guest ChicagoAJ

Could you post a picture of where you put the o-ring? I've had this buzzing for a few weeks and I've never been able to isolate it. I concluded it was the Evotech radiator guard buzzing while making contact with the radiator.

If this fix works that would be amazing!

Could you post a picture of where you put the o-ring? I've had this buzzing for a few weeks and I've never been able to isolate it. I concluded it was the Evotech radiator guard buzzing while making contact with the radiator.  
If this fix works that would be amazing!
I'll try and snap a pict tomorrow. The o-ring I used was about 1.5mm x 20mm ID 
If you look where the horn is attached and then follow that up to where the radiator sits on a pin with a rubber grommet, this is where I added that o-ring.  Before that added o-ring, the radiator could move pretty easily front to back. It now feels more securely rubber mounted instead of just sitting in a rubber mount. 

here's that grommet and where i installed the o-ring. The thin o-ring applies just enough pressure between the inner edge of the grommet and the mount so dampen out any high frequency movement.

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f216/rashapir/IMG_1570_zpsjsa2yail.jpg

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f216/rashapir/IMG_1569_zpsi7mozdeg.jpg

Guest ChicagoAJ

Gotcha, I thought that was probably it. Didn't want to make any assumptions at 2:30am when I got home from work and gave it a look. Pretty loose mount on my bike as well. I'll have to head over to my father's workshop, I'm sure he has a drawer of grommets in there I could choose from.

Thanks for the pics!

didn't replace the grommet, just sandwiched an oring in where that pointer is.

Guest ChicagoAJ
didn't replace the grommet, just sandwiched an oring in where that pointer is.  

Yup, I can see that. That's what I meant, haha. I'll jam an o-ring in there too.  

I don't know why this would make a noise though, it's a rubber grommet. Doesn't make sense as to why it would make that much of a noise. 

The pin inside the grommet is likely not making any noise. I think what I was hearing was the horn vibrating - it's attached right there and moves with the radiator. I also have a radiator guard though not the same brand. So, dunno exactly where the noise was coming from I had a buzz one day and it was gone right after adding that ring and snugging up that joint. Initially I thought it was in the gearbox as I only heard it in 2nd gear - This is a better outcome.

Hopefully this will do away your noise as well. Simple enough to give it a go.

Archived