The MT-07 Forum

Question about waxing/detailing

barneyfife

barneyfife

My new bike is ready for it's first coat of wax. The manual says not to wax any plastic parts. Has anyone used wax on the plastics? (front fender,side scoops,around gas cap). Everything is black and I want to make sure it stays black for as long as possible. Also with a coat of wax it's easier to keep clean. Anyone have detailing tips or products that are working for them?

bmwpowere36m3

Some waxes will leave behind a white film on rubber and plastic. Get some 303 Aerospace and use it on unpainted plastics.

• Premium Member

I used Turtle Wax Ice on my last bike and it was fine no issues. Almost made the windscreen sparkle IMHO was quite impressed.

I used Turtle Wax Ice on my last bike and it was fine no issues. Almost made the windscreen sparkle IMHO was quite impressed.
I second the turtle wax ice.  Stuff is fine on plastics and holds up well also.  Very easy to apply as well.   

bmwpowere36m3

Yup not all waxes, some are more of a sealant... than traditional carnauba wax.

I kind of like detailing... as quickly as possible.  I can get the bike done, including fresh chain lube, in about 45 minutes.

[ul type=disc][*]Put the bike on front & rear stands[*]Loosen chain lube from rear wheel with Purple Power or similar de-greaser.
[*]Hose off the major grunge, and Purple Power
[*]Use Wash & Wax product, like Turtle Wax "Zip Wax" and microfiber wash cloth.[/ul]t79-quick-and-easy-zip-wax-car-wash-and-wax.png?sfvrsn=2

[ul type=disc][*]Clean wheels & tires last.  Very easy task while on the stands
[*]Quickly blow off entire bike with leaf blower and/ or compressed air.  Concentrate on engine and recesses, not panels etc.
[*]Use Wax as you dry product such as Turtle Wax "Wax & Dry" with Microfiber towel.
[/ul]
turtle-wax-wax-dry-spray-wax-t9.png?sfvrsn=0
[ul type=disc][*]Could be done at this point, or use kerosene to easily clean chain while on stands.
[*]Blow off kerosene, lube with your favorite chain lube and wipe off excess.[/ul]
That's a 45 minute job beginning to end, and it will look excellent!

“The real cycle you're working on is a cycle called yourself.”
— Robert M. Pirsig (Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values)

• Premium Member

Most manufacturers make a product specifically for plastics, such as Mother's "Back to Black," which are intended for such applications.  Don't worry; be happy!

• Premium Member

Standard run of the mill wax will leave white residue on the black bits that can be a pain to remove.

Probably worth trying the products listed above to avoid having to be meticilious.

Everything went braap.

Mothers makes excellent products, including "Back To Black", and it has its place, but it will make your panels collect dust. My cars are all over ten years old, and suffer from faded black trim. For a quick detail to hide this, almost any product like "Back To Black" will work for a while, and I've tried them all, including the Mothers.  But, the only real fix for faded plastics is a dye.  The simple wax as you dry products leave the plastics just as dark and even as any trim shine, without any residue.

These bikes are not old enough to suffer from sun bleaching. If you're worried, 303 Aerospace Protectant is made for that purpose, but it's pricey.

3030305c_6.jpg

No matter what you apply, use microfiber applicators and towels to prevent scratching that gorgeous color!

— Robert M. Pirsig (Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values)

bmwpowere36m3
Mothers makes excellent products, including "Back To Black", and it has its place, but it will make your panels collect dust. My cars are all over ten years old, and suffer from faded black trim. For a quick detail to hide this, almost any product like "Back To Black" will work for a while, and I've tried them all, including the Mothers.  But, the only real fix for faded plastics is a dye.  The simple wax as you dry products leave the plastics just as dark and even as any trim shine, without any residue. 
These bikes are not old enough to suffer from sun bleaching. If you're worried, 303 Aerospace Protectant is made for that purpose, but it's pricey.

3030305c_6.jpg

No matter what you apply, use microfiber applicators and towels to prevent scratching that gorgeous color!

Back to Black is okay… but greasy, streaky and dust collects like crazy.  Personally I use 303 on all my plastics and car interiors… leaves a nice stain finish, non-greasy, last a while and protects newer surfaces from fade.

https://imgur.com/a/ToU4d 
I use this and it works great. My bike never gets too dirty so I just spray down all the plastic parts and wipe with a micro-fiber towel.
I think I'll add some of that to my detailing arsenal.  Thanks for the link.  In return, I'll turn you on to a detailer's dream for your car's engine bay: 
     s-l300.jpg
    img][img]
                 Trim Shine Aerosol

After degreasing the engine compartment (I use Purple Power), spray this on all the plastics and rubber hoses.  Makes it all look new! And, it's VERY fast, which I love.  One can will do the whole compartment three, maybe four times.  It's just as nice for the exterior trim, but the aerosol over sprays, so it's not always ideal.

Archived