The MT-07 Forum

Installed Shorty Levers but have a Question

steve45058

steve45058

I bought some ebay shorty levers.  They look awesome, but definitely wiggle more than the stock.  Is this normal?  Should I tighten the nuts more?  If so how tight should I go with these nuts?  I just fear about stripping something if I go too tight.

2nd question.

Because I installed shorty levers should I adjust the clutch wire?  (That circle thing near the clutch lol)  How much play should it have?

Thanks!

I bought some ebay shorty levers.  They look awesome, but definitely wiggle more than the stock.  Is this normal?  Should I tighten the nuts more?  If so how tight should I go with these nuts?  I just fear about stripping something if I go too tight. 
2nd question.

Because I installed shorty levers should I adjust the clutch wire?  (That circle thing near the clutch lol)  How much play should it have?

Thanks!
Does it wiggle only on the clutch side or both? If it wiggles only on the clutch side, you may have forgotten to transfer the collar sleeve from the stock lever to the new. 
How much free play is personal preference. For adjustable levers, I like to have no free play, then adjust the resting position of the lever from the adjuster.

bmwpowere36m3

Yes, cable slack should be adjusted... you had to have messed with it to install the levers. Always have some slack, unless you want a burnt clutch. I shoot for a nickels worth gap between the lever and perch (light pressure on lever to take up slack).

Then adjust how far in/out you like the lever to rest (if their adjustable).

Up/down wiggling or looseness can either be: didn't tighten the bolt enough (don't kill it), forgot the spacer on the clutch side (reuse from stock lever), or just poor quality levers.

• Premium Member

I actually bought a set on ebay that were supposed to fit the FZ that didn't have a hole big enough to the transfer of the the stock bushing, but the hole was larger than the hole in the stock bushing. They had way too much slop and I ended up tossing them. If you are reusing the stock bushing you are probably ok, and don't tighten them down too much (just snug).

Why can't left turners see us?

Archived