The MT-07 Forum

Importing Canada to USA

wompfox

Hey all,

I've just moved from Ontario to the US, and I'm unsure as to whether I'll be able to import my FZ-07 or not.  My concern is the fact that the Canadian model's cluster doesn't have the ability to display MPH, and I'm thinking that will be an issue for DOT.

Has anyone imported their FZ or have any insight into this?

Cheers

Changing the km to mph shouldn't be an issue. I know on the US model I can change mine to kmh just holding down a gauge dash button when the engine temp is displayed. You should be able to do the same on the euro models? @wompfox

'15 Pearl White FZ-07 | Yoshi R77 Exhaust | ECU Reflash | Mad Hornets Shorty Levers | EvoTech Rad Guard | Yamaha Comfort Saddle | TST Industries Integrated Taillight | Motodynamics Fender Eliminator | Yamaha OEM Front LED Signals | Phillips MaxVision 130+ Bulb | OES Front/Rear Axle Sliders | Driven Racing TT Rearsets | Woodcraft 1.5" Clip-Ons | Woodcraft Engine & Water Pump Crash Cover | OEM Motocage Cage | LEDGlow SMD Mini Advanced Lighting Kit | Gilles Tooling Gauge Relocation Kit |

From what I've read, the US and Euro models can switch between Mph/Kmh no problem, but the Canadian model is locked to Kmh

If you can't change it won't be able to sell it here, not sure if that will keep you from importing it.
I'd be surprised if you couldn't change it,when's the last time u saw a speedometer that was only one type of units.

According to [this] and [this] threads, the Canadian model doesn't switch.  I'm assuming the logic is some Canadian law mandating the vehicle always shows Km/h, which it wouldn't if you could switch.

I read an article about some BMW car models in Canada that have analog guages with Km/h only, and to import to the US you have to pay about ~$1k to swap out the dash with one that shows both Km/h and Mph.  Maybe its possible to switch out the cluster with the US part, but I'm assuming there are some more serious drawbacks to this (title will show 'not original miles').  I'm making an assumption that an aftermarket addition to show Mph won't suffice.

If theres no easy way around it, I'll have to find a way to sell the bike I guess and get another one down here.  I don't think I would have purchased the bike if I knew about this limitation.

If bikes and cars are classified as a "vehicle" then I imported my car from Canada to the US and I had to get a letter from Mitusibishi Canada which meets all these requirements: http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/import/VIG_Canada01192007.htm. I'm assuming they had a template for this because some of the stuff in the letter was word for word copied from that website. I would think Yamaha has the same sort of letter to give you and there's even a part about speedometer which doesn't seem to matter.

Anyways, I would think an ECU flash could possibly fix this issue since it gets rid of all restrictions? But yes you would have an issue selling it here because I don't know of anyone that would buy a bike that didn't show their speed. Carmax wouldn't even buy my car cuz the Odometer was in KM.

edit: that website link is from 2007 so maybe the rules have changed..

You bring up a very interesting point. Will an ECU reflash definitely overcome this?

edit: maybe this should be posed as a new question on the Canadian forum?  Either way, I'll need that letter from Yamaha, and on their FAQ they recommend against import/export

• Global Moderator

Yes, I can confirm that it is impossible to change the speedo from km to mph on a Canadian FZ07. The setting works on US bikes and European bikes but strangely enough not on yours or mine. I have no idea why because my Subaru has a simple button to switch units.

There might be a way to access the parameters on the ECU via the little OBD port under your seat and change but I don't know. I can't imagine that Yamaha makes dashboards and ECU's specifically for the Canadian market. If the dealer doesn't know, you could contact Yamaha directly and ask.
If you can't switch it to mph, I would probably just sell the bike and buy a new one once you moved. It is not a special or a one of a kind bike so you will have no problem selling it and buying another one. It will save you the hassle importing it and you won't have to transport it to your new home. Not to mention the problems you will run into once you decide to sell it in the future.

Guru, I think you're right, selling it will be the way to go. I'm imagining the post will sound like every other "i'm out of the country" craigslist scam out there. I've contacted the dealer that I purchased the bike from to see if they would buy it back, that would be ideal.

Thanks for your input everyone!

P.S. Anybody want to buy an FZ-07? :)

• Global Moderator

Post your bike in the for sale section with some pictures and info and use social media for some exposure. I am sure you will sell it in no time.

• Global Moderator

Check out the price of US vs Canadian FZ-07's. They are a lot more expensive here. It would be cheaper spending a couple of hundred bucks on a new instruments panel if it came to that.

• Global Moderator
Check out the price of US vs Canadian FZ-07's. They are a lot more expensive here. It would be cheaper spending a couple of hundred bucks on a new instruments panel if it came to that.

Wow, I didn't realize the price difference. A new US bike is more then C$ 9000 (or a new Canadian bike is only $ 5650 US).  :o

Nice, I'll make sure to post to the for sale section. My local dealer in Indianapolis has the 2016 FZ-07 for 5899 US

• Global Moderator
Nice, I'll make sure to post to the for sale section. My local dealer in Indianapolis has the 2016 FZ-07 for 5899 US
Make sure that is an 'out the door' price. A lot of dealers advertise a low price but then add a bunch of fees that make it not so good a deal. 

Archived