The MT-07 Forum

Got to really test my brakes

jetgirl

I didn't intend to. I was doing the speed limit at 55. A stopped minivan on my left decided to pull out in front of me. Crap! I was thinking 3 things as I was braking but getting closer and closer. "NOooooo I'm going to hit it!" and "You can do this. Keep it together!" I also wondered if I could escape to the breakdown lane but the dumb broad swung her minivan half into that lane too. I dropped down to 5 mph and felt my rear tire slide to the right but the bike stayed upright. Once I found my horn I let her have it and she pulled over. I zipped by her and glared at her and gave her a WTF? gesture. Never in my life have I had to brake so hard from such a high speed.

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

I'm glad you are still here to tell your story. At least now you know you can do it when needed!
I'm wondering why there is a road with such a high speed limit that also lets people pull out from a dead stop? That don't make no sense.  ???

Illegitimi non carborundum

barneyfife

Good job!!! It's amazing how many thoughts go through your brain in a fraction of a second and translate into action.

Good to hear you're alright and that you didn't freak when the rear end locked up, good girl! I'm a little disappointed though that you didn't fly the bird.  ;)

Beemer

I'm glad you are still here to tell your story. At least now you know you can do it when needed! I'm wondering why there is a road with such a high speed limit that also lets people pull out from a dead stop? That don't make no sense.  ???
It was a rural 2 lane state highway. A lot of NH roads are like that. We don't have much traffic. 

Glad youre safe! was wondering if you lifted the rear myself, haha. easy to lock the rear on this ride though not to worry as you did just fine

Nice job avoiding an accident! I just installed (have had it on every bike I've owned) headlight and brake light flasher units. They really help with visibility, I've had plenty of people tell me 'wow that headlight is annoying' or 'you know that's flashing right?' and my response is always 'well you saw me right?'. I planned to make a parts and accessories review section post on them pretty soon, but here's the links. They were dead easy to install, only took about an hour and cost about $150 total.

Headlight Flasher. Select 'no' on the CANbus option

Brake Light Flasher. For the ground wire option you select 'no I have a 3 wire LED brake light'

I'm glad you made it out alright and you didn't panic or lock up into a slide

What I like to do and it also might be a suggestion is spend an good hour practicing emergency braking somewhere safe. I like to start with what you ride in residential area speeds (I think its like 30mph in the US) 40 km/h here in Canada. The point being is pick common speeds. Start off slow and use a reference point to see how much distance it took you to stop.

After all the practice I have done. I now know at what point and how much distance I have till I need to stop and what the motorcycle is capable of. I hope I never have to use it in a real emergency situation and I also make it another point to foretell situations before they ever happen.

Glad you ok.

If you didn't endo... you weren't braking hard enough ;)
Endoing is fun. Having the front wheel skidding is scary. You better let go of the brake real fast when that sucker skids. 

Good to hear you're alright and that you didn't freak when the rear end locked up, good girl! I'm a little disappointed though that you didn't fly the bird.  ;)
Yeah, I screwed up there. Especially since bird flipping is something they drilled into our heads during the MSF course years ago :D 

Yeah, I screwed up there. Especially since bird flipping is something they drilled into our heads during the MSF course years ago :D
Ha, you've must've had veterans as instructors!

Beemer

• Global Moderator
jet... what're we gonna do with you... cant choose the right color bike
cant remember to flip the bird to the asshat drivers
what're we gonna do with you?

Jk ;)

Glad you're still with us and that you were able to control the lock-up

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

Archived