The MT-07 Forum

Air intake questions/testing

roadrunner

roadrunner

Current setup:

Akra Ti exhaust with no baffle
Power commander V
dyno tune from the guy i bought the exhaust and pcv from. this dyno tune for his fz07 of course had the same exhaust, pcv, but he also had the dna air filter and cover/intake, which i do not have. to try and at least get closer to the DNA air flow, he suggested I remove the snorkel, which i did. for the past several months ive been running his dyno tune, and as far as I can tell everything is fine. I can probably get more out of the bike with the DNA stuff, and I'd definitely buy it, but just now that I was looking at it, with the price of shipping included, there's just no way in hell im paying that much for those parts lol. Least not right now, rather get q3's first.

But I've been reading up, and although I'll probably never get the exact same effect as the DNA stuff by using the stock stuff, I think I might be able to get a little closer. Looks like having no snorkel makes for a kinda crappy airflow since there wont be any smooth edge to the air filter. Apparently the better airflow is from removing the internal part of the snorkel, since that's what restricts the air so much. I read somewhere about removing only the internal part and re-installing the snorkel. doesnt seem that hard, its just cutting rubber lol.

I kinda want to do this, not just for air flow reasons but also cause the noise the air intake makes is kind of really annoying to me(and I'm wearing ear plugs! i can hear it over the exhaust.. even though it doesnt have the baffle..)

But I'm wondering what's your guys' opinion on this. good or bad.. worth it or not worth it.. any tips? 

PS. side question: anybody ever get this? ---> my bike was vibrating a lot more than usual today. it felt almost like the gearing had changed too.. best way i can explain it is the vibration feel i usually get in 2nd gear, i now felt in 3rd... in 3rd now in 4th,.. etc. more or less. not sure why, the only different things i had done since the previous ride was clean and lube the chain. time-wise, last time before today i rode 2 weeks ago. 1 week in i did the chain stuff, then another week to today when i rode it again. maybe i just forgot how much it vibrates? idk. i plan to start using motul 300v 10-40 soon, hoping that helps overall.

sansnombre

There is quite a lot of discussion on this topic in the various postings - you should take a look, as it's been kicked around quite a bit.

My perspective is to do what you're suggesting with the cut and just remove the lower section, but since your tuning is based on it being removed, that should prob be your approach.

I've read that there is a slight increase in power by leaving the external section and removing the internal baffle, but if you take off the whole thing is better than leaving it in place.

FWIW

roadrunner

@sansnombre I did read some of the threads on here about it, what I'm really wondering is if there's any less airflow or negative affects of putting the external section back on as opposed to just leaving the whole thing off.

I'm definitely not putting the whole thing back in, but I don't want to reduce any air as the tune is already expect the DNA air flow so I'm probably running a little rich(or lean, sorry I get the terms confused. The one where there's not enough air) already, don't wanna make it worse. But if only adding the external section helps then I definitely wanna take a crack at it. Also wondering if anyone has done it before and where exactly to cut the snorkel

sansnombre

It depends upon who you listen to - I've only seen one tuner with a dyno and FZ07 runs speak on this topic specifically, and he says it flows better if you have the internal section off and the snorkel on. From everything I've read, no one else has done this modified tweak. They all say take it off and it flows better than with it on, but they haven't looked at the additional option of snorkel on/baffle off.

There's only one data point here to draw from, but I have no reason to believe it is not correct. I've done some flow design and analysis, and it's this config that I think is most likely to flow best, AND his dyno work seems to agree with it. I think it's solid, but again only one data point.

That said, it's not that much different in flow or power change, so either way, I wouldn't sweat it.

Cheers

roadrunner

EDIT: Ok one big thing I missed was during my test ride my tire pressure was very low. Long story, but basically I went to the canyons yesterday thinking I'd be chill, but when I got there I was going fast as always, so I started trying to lower the tire pressure for more grip since I had it set at factory settings 33/36 cold. But I was guessing cause the tires werent fully cold when I tried adjusting the pressure at the canyon. Point is tire pressure was low during my test ride. Idk how much input that would have in the whole feeling like it's smoother or has less torque hahaha, I'm such a noob. Might as well ignore that test

ok I made the switch and I'm getting mixed results. Of course this is all from the 'butt dyno'.

Like I mentioned in my first post, the bike already felt weird yesterday. With that in mind, after I switched the snorkel back in rode around, it feels like either the torque/power smoothed out, or I lost some torque. Problem is it's hard to tell because 1. I was riding around 7pm. There's still light out but the air temperature is cooler than what I usually ride at and 2. The bike already felt weird yesterday.

Is it possible to lose some torque with this change?

Here are some pictures of the cut snorkel, it's kinda barbarian style lol:

SArQqqz.jpg
ecjIDPH.jpg
UaEKmnq.jpg

sansnombre

"Is it possible to lose some torque with this change?" 

I really don't think so. Again, this is a very minor tweak and will not have much effect either way.

I dynoed my Aussie MT07 ( slightly smaller capacity than the rest of the world to meet beginner legislation). No noticeable difference ( well less than a HP but that isn't significant statistically) with or without the snorkel. I made a flow smoothing device after to go on top of the inlet plate but dynoed it with other mods so can't tell if that made any difference.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

Archived