The MT-07 Forum

New Member from Louisville

inkedinspector

inkedinspector

Hey y'all,

My name is Travis, and as the title states, I am in Louisville, KY. Mainly here for research right now, I am a prospective FZ-07 owner, novice rider. Attending MSF courses soon, and looking for something that is easy enough for a novice, but that I won't rapidly outgrow. I had considered a 250-300, but I am a bigger guy, 250ish, and most of my friends that are riders have steered me away from that saying that I'll be bored within a month. Every review and bit of research I have had points me back to the FZ. Plenty of usable torque down low, fast enough that most people won't ever need more bike, decently comfortable but still a fun package, plus great price. I have no intentions of being a speed demon on this thing, just a little spirited riding here and there. Just doing all the reading I can before I decide to pull the trigger. 

Little background on myself, I am a moderator on Mazdaspeedforums, and my daily is a 2013 Speed3. For those into speed of the 4 wheel variety, it has a BNR S3 Turbo, HTP 3.5" Intake, CP-e Exhaust Manifold, Catless Downpipe, CP-e 3" exhaust, CP-e Intercooler, running on a Cobb V3 Accessport and Hypnotic Tuned. Not a show car, plenty of rock chips and scars on her, go to the tail of the dragon 2-3 times each year, always looking for an excuse to drive. 

That's about all I can think to say at the moment, have fun out there! 

The first rule of FZ-07 Club is

[HASH]1. Pics or it didn't happen.

[HASH]2. Pics or it didn't happen.  ;)  The Mazda does sound nice though.

Beemer

inkedinspector

Here are a few pictures from our "Epic Nator Meet" this year, we had it at the Tail of the Dragon once again. Pretty excellent turn out, donated about 5k to the local food bank, had a great time. Will these pictures suffice? Sorry if they come out huge, didn't want to mess with attaching so just linked images. 

Also, if you want proof of how much of my life has been wasted on a forum, lol. 

http://www.mazdaspeedforums.org/forum/member.php?u=34857

Nator%20group_zpsfnvbtzkq.jpeg
nator%20pix_zpsyzarjugo.jpeg
IMAG1364_zpspvpfsrvv.jpg
IMAG1356_zpszg1dok8x.jpg
IMAG1319_zpsess7nnbs.jpg

And one from last year while I'm at it!

ENM15_zpss4gqs5p4.png

• Global Moderator

Hey @inkedinspector , thanks for joining. I am sure you are going to love the FZ07, they are great bikes, nice and light, not too intimidating and will grow with you.
I would try out a the bikes to see if you like it. Even just sitting on one in a showroom will give you an idea on ergonomics. 
I am a big car guy and I can't get over how different and fun a bike is. The thrill of the instant acceleration, the feeling of freedom!

You might want to take a look at your link and picture urls, they only work when you are logged in and I don't think too many people here are member in your forum. lol

Welcome!

I'm from Kentucky as well!

The FZ is my first road bike. I had always wanted a sport bike but most of that was due to appearance.
When I saw the FZ I knew I had to have it.
I'm 6'4 and was 210 when I bought it. (I'm down to 185 now, MOAR FASTER!) I have had no complaints with speed/acceleration. If you ride highway, a 600cc sportbike *may* be a better option because they are considerably quicker in the 60-100 range.
For me, I feel that the limited ~130mph speed of the FZ keeps me from doing anything really stupid. You won't be doing wheelies at 120mph down I-71 on one, but really who needs to do that?

You mentioned going to the Tail of the Dragon. That was actually the first trip I took with the bike when I got it. This bike will do everything you need there, it is a perfect twisty carving bike, the low end torque will keep you up with most sportbikes as there is no *safe* reason to be going into 70+ on twisty roads.

I admittedly sometimes want more power, but in the back of my head I know this is all I need. Some people have higher speed thrill needs though.

The comfort of riding is what sold me. I have ridden my bike 3-4+ hrs at a time and have no real soreness/discomfort. A friend of mine rode sportbikes for a while and recently switched to a cruiser and suggested I buy something more comfortable if I planned on taking trips with it.

I personally would recommend a FZ07.

2015 Yamaha FZ07 - Woodcraft clip-ons w/ bar end sliders, Yoshimura Exhaust, Graves Fender Eliminator, Cyclops LED Headlight, Motodynamic integrated tail light, Carbon Fiber Heel Guards, Bridgestone Battlax BT003 tires, Forks by Matt, PSR shorty levers, OES Frame & Axle sliders.

2014 Lexus IS350

inkedinspector

Thanks for the feedback guys, that is exactly the kind of stuff I am needing to read. You hit the nail of the head @20vavant with what I'm after, I have no intentions of going that fast on two wheels, and a ergonomics of a sport bike are not appealing to me, I think the FZ will have plenty for what I'm after. @guru I did go to a dealership and sit on it to at least make sure this whole idea was viable, everything feels pretty comfortable for me. I'm 5'11" 250, but I was 290 at the beginning of the year, moar faster indeed! haha Honestly, I am likely a couple months away from this purchase, I intend to get through the msf courses and get at least a couple more grand to put down on it, I'd like to only finance about half, middle of a house purchase at the moment. Have also given consideration to trying to just buy one this winter in the hopes of getting a better deal and possibly just paying cash outright, but we'll see.

Links above should be working, I uploaded the images to photobucket and linked from there.

• Global Moderator

Sweet, I can see the pictures now. Are you on one of the pictures? Which Speed3 is yours?

inkedinspector

Mine would be the one hatch up at the Shell station lol, and on the right in the picture of us all at the fire hall for dinner. Well, the back half of it is on the right of the picture.

Nice pics and I've always been a fan of Mazda's, being my 2nd car ever was a 74' Mazda 808 that I purchased in 77' for a mere $1750. It wasn't the Wankle /rotary, it was an 1586 cc four cylinder with overhead cam. Sucker ran! I miss that little car. Should've never let it go.

[attachment id=1699" thumbnail="1]Someone else's 808 .... I want it bad .....

Beemer

inkedinspector
Nice pics and I've always been a fan of Mazda's, being my 2nd car ever was a 74' Mazda 808 that I purchased in 77' for a mere $1750. It wasn't the Wankle /rotary, it was an 1586 cc four cylinder with overhead cam. Sucker ran! I miss that little car. Should've never let it go. 

Someone else's 808 .... I want it bad .....

Man, I bet you do regret selling that! Mazda's early designs don't get enough credit, they had some really good looking cars back in the 70s. I'd love to own an RX-3. In general I am a Mazda fan, I am hoping to build a speed6 at some point, plus I dream of owning a clean and original FD (93-94 RX-7). I will admit I like the RX-8 as well, you just have to go into it understanding that apex seals are a consumable, and given that you can buy an RX-8 with a blown motor for 2-3k these days, and rebuild it for about 2, it's becoming a more and more attractive option by the day. But I digress, I could fill a whole warehouse with cars I'd love to own, or even hope to own in my life, for now my next purchase is aiming squarely at this FZ. I do really wish they still offered the Pearl White though, I haven't decided what color I will go with since they do not

Cats or Cards? Just kidding. I live just east of Lexington so I had to ask.

You'll love the FZ-07. I have two other bikes and ride the FZ almost exclusively. The power is good especially compared to the weight of the bike.

• Premium Member
Eastern Kayaker

Welcome Travis! Just to let you know, if you want a white bike you could purchase the white tank panels for $150 and change for example a 2016 Raven colored bike into a white bike. It would have a black frame instead of the silver frame, but I think it looks better that way. If you also want the white front fender pieces, I think both pieces can be purchased for an additional $60. I purchased a 2015 red FZ-07 and purchased the white tank panels. It is now a white bike, see pictures below. I know a member on this forum purchased a 2016 Raven FZ-07 and purchased the 2015 White tank panels and front fender pieces to change their bike to white.
[attachment id=1700" thumbnail="1][attachment id=1701" thumbnail="1]

@inkedinspector Welcome! i was in a similar situation as you. novice rider. first bike. bigger guy. i love this bike! Its lightweight and easy to handle. comfortable riding position and fun fun fun! it gets even better when you are bit by the mod bug. lol

Looks like an older Alpha Romeo. 

Hello and welcome Travis! Good to hear you're doing the MSF course (derby city?) it's a blast. Go see Steve over at Yamaha of Louisville and buy an fz today!

Hey y'all, 
My name is Travis, and as the title states, I am in Louisville, KY. Mainly here for research right now, I am a prospective FZ-07 owner, novice rider. Attending MSF courses soon, and looking for something that is easy enough for a novice, but that I won't rapidly outgrow. I had considered a 250-300, but I am a bigger guy, 250ish, and most of my friends that are riders have steered me away from that saying that I'll be bored within a month. Every review and bit of research I have had points me back to the FZ. Plenty of usable torque down low, fast enough that most people won't ever need more bike, decently comfortable but still a fun package, plus great price. I have no intentions of being a speed demon on this thing, just a little spirited riding here and there. Just doing all the reading I can before I decide to pull the trigger. 

Little background on myself, I am a moderator on Mazdaspeedforums, and my daily is a 2013 Speed3. For those into speed of the 4 wheel variety, it has a BNR S3 Turbo, HTP 3.5" Intake, CP-e Exhaust Manifold, Catless Downpipe, CP-e 3" exhaust, CP-e Intercooler, running on a Cobb V3 Accessport and Hypnotic Tuned. Not a show car, plenty of rock chips and scars on her, go to the tail of the dragon 2-3 times each year, always looking for an excuse to drive. 

That's about all I can think to say at the moment, have fun out there! 
Welcome fellow Hillbilly :D Mazda are also perfect to pull bikes with:

6_zps4hhfyztq.jpg

• Global Moderator

It's Alfa Romeo. A.L.F.A. is actually an acronym for "Anonima Lombarda Fabbrica Automobili"  idea-007.gif 

I like Mazda's too and owned a couple of them. A Mazda 3, a 5 and a Miata.

Here's a picture of me getting a ticket haha:

miata02.jpg

Yeah, even a little like an old Datson B210, shape wise & size.

Beemer

inkedinspector
Hello and welcome Travis! Good to hear you're doing the MSF course (derby city?) it's a blast. Go see Steve over at Yamaha of Louisville and buy an fz today!
I am planning to take the course at Derby City, and I would love to go see him and buy one, but I am middle of the house financing thing so sadly no go for me at the moment. I'm actually trying to kill two birds with one stone and sell off a bunch of my old car stuff to make less clutter to move and get some extra cash for the bike. I don't mind being patient to get the things I want the right/responsible way. At the end of the day, while the bike can provide daily transportation and is very fuel efficient, it falls heavily under the want and not so much into the need column. Some days I wish I had just stuck my mod money into a bike and left the car stock, lol. 
@tomh definitely Cards mi amigo, sorry. But honestly, not that hardcore into college sports anymore. 

@easternKayaker That is a great point, didn't think about that, honestly I had considered a vinyl wrap just because it would be cheap for as little as there is to cover. Probably leaning toward the matte silver for now. 

@12ival I am glad to hear someone else was in the same shoes and is pleased going this direction. 

@cassecou Love seeing that 3 pulling a bike, sadly there isn't a hitch in the speeds future, for right now if I am taking a long trip with plans of driving fast where I am going, then the speed will be taking me there and doing the driving duties once I'm there. Half the fun of the speeds is the fact that I can haul everything I need for camping/etc. and road trip it, then have an absolute blast once I get there. 72k on my 2013, I'll drive it till the wheels fall off, put new wheels on it then drive those off too. 

• Premium Member

Welcome!!

I had a 2013 mazda 3 hatch in graphite until I gave it back. That thing made me fall in love with hatchbacks...

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

inkedinspector
Welcome!! 
I had a 2013 mazda 3 hatch in graphite until I gave it back. That thing made me fall in love with hatchbacks...
Hatchbacks are great, awesome utility, pretty economical. Pretty much why I fell in love with the hot hatch, it's a do everything machine. 
Sadly guys the next available Basic Rider Course is close to the end of July. I have signed up, only $150 bucks! But the down side is, I don't know that it'll make a ton of sense for me to finance a bike that late in the riding season just to have to park the damn thing and have a payment for nothing. But to my earlier point, and I won't claim to knows this so perhaps y'all can help, do you get better deals later in the season/fall/winter when they are fewer bikes? 

• Premium Member
Sadly guys the next available Basic Rider Course is close to the end of July. I have signed up, only $150 bucks! But the down side is, I don't know that it'll make a ton of sense for me to finance a bike that late in the riding season just to have to park the damn thing and have a payment for nothing. But to my earlier point, and I won't claim to knows this so perhaps y'all can help, do you get better deals later in the season/fall/winter when they are fewer bikes? 

Check your local dealers to see if they have any events in regards to deals... I typically have one that does an annual tent event where they knock down prices just for that one day. Other than that, it can be typically cheaper to purchase a bike when the next year's models come out (so that would be getting a 2015 right now) or when it's the dead of winter.

Also - Not sure how the weather is in KY, but July isn't late in the season for me... but then again... I get to ride year round in SoCal.

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

Is that your bike?  Second bike or old bike?  Just curious what it is.  From the look of the frame and engine case, looks like a Kawasaki but can't say for sure. 

Engaging with people that have personality disorders on a message board is like arguing with a rock.

[/url]

Is that your bike?  Second bike or old bike?  Just curious what it is.  From the look of the frame and engine case, looks like a Kawasaki but can't say for sure.
You are right, it is a Kawasaki, the Kawasaki Z750S. kawasaki-z750s-6_zpswxadaria.jpg

It's the bike I had between 2006 and 2008, and the only picture I have showing the Mazda3 pulling a bike.
Here is the FZ07, but you can barely see the Mazda 3.
 3_zpskw8gwajn.jpg

Yeah that course books up fast. You're definitely doing things the smart way though. F.Y.I. I bought my first bike in July of last year (used Honda cbr250) and didn't winterize 'til the day after Christmas. Managed aboout 2,500 miles my first season.

I bought my FZ in Feb., I couldn't find any 2015 models closer than Chicago. After reading threads about OTD pricing I was fine paying the sticker price of $6,990 because the only fees were 6% sales tax and $99 setup. Even in Feb with snow on the ground they didn't seem too willing to wheel & deal on that bike because the sticker price is already so low. I suppose if I had played hardball I could've gotten a bit off or had them find me a 2015 but I was already in love with the fizzer and knew it was THE bike for me.

Archived