The MT-07 Forum

CRF230F - Conversion?

20vavant

Hi all,
A few years ago I got an itch for a 2 wheeled vehicle. Since I lived at home still, it was not acceptable to get an on the road bike. (Mom would never have that)
I picked up a 'wrecked' 2005 CRF230F off a buddy of mine for 1,100$ I fixed the bent handle bars, broken shift lever, and straightened out the forks. Like new, minus a few little scuffs here and there.
It had forks rebuilt soon before I bought it, so the thing is in great shape.I added handguards, a jet kit, new levers, and really cleaned the bike up. It looks new.
A few years go by and I never ride the thing...It sits in my parents basement collecting dust. A few local places to ride closed down and I recently just traded in my truck for a car so it's a little hard to ride and get it there now.
I've done a little bit of research on converting it. They sell kits and since it's an electric start to begin with it doesn't sound too difficult.
Kits from BajaDesign run $450-500 and I find this quite ridiculous, considering it's probably $200 in parts.
I want to piece together a DOT rated kit for it and get it registered and ride it on the road, I might as well get some use out of it.Kentucky is friendly in almost all aspects of DMV so I assume it won't be too much of a hassle. I tracked down the MCO from my friend and have all the papers ready.
Does anyone have any advice on doing a conversion?

2015 Yamaha FZ07 - Woodcraft clip-ons w/ bar end sliders, Yoshimura Exhaust, Graves Fender Eliminator, Cyclops LED Headlight, Motodynamic integrated tail light, Carbon Fiber Heel Guards, Bridgestone Battlax BT003 tires, Forks by Matt, PSR shorty levers, OES Frame & Axle sliders.

2014 Lexus IS350

• Premium Member

I don't.. but I'm interested in the process. Definitely think it's a great idea!

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

Just curious but are you going to use knobbies, street & trail tires on those same rims or are you going to super moto it out?

[attachment id=1704" thumbnail="1]This I like a lot!

Beemer

Just curious but are you going to use knobbies, street & trail tires on those same rims or are you going to super moto it out? 
This I like a lot!

My buddy has a KTM dual sport and saved his last set of tires from his for me. They are knobbies. I plan on using these to get the bike inspected. If that all goes smoothly I love the super moto style look, and since 90% of my riding would be on pavement I might go this route. Swap them out to my brand new off road tires that it has now... :-S

2015 Yamaha FZ07 - Woodcraft clip-ons w/ bar end sliders, Yoshimura Exhaust, Graves Fender Eliminator, Cyclops LED Headlight, Motodynamic integrated tail light, Carbon Fiber Heel Guards, Bridgestone Battlax BT003 tires, Forks by Matt, PSR shorty levers, OES Frame & Axle sliders.

2014 Lexus IS350

twowheeladdict

Your doing your homework, so here's a question. What is required to make it street legal in KY?

Many trail bikes already have minimal head and tail lights. Add one mirror, and your good to go.

How much you spend is based on what your fab skills and imagination can dream up. Bike salvage parts, or turn key conversion kits.

Have fun!

2015 FZ-07

• 2 weeks later...
Some small updates:Bike has a full Baja Designs kit on it.I got bit in the bum on this, I found a local guy on craigslist who said it was for a CRF230F like my bike. Should've done a little more research as I found out it was for a kickstart bike and not an electric. Dumb way to waste $250, but it's life...Re-Ordered an actual new kit from Motorcycle Super Store. $420 on sale. Doesn't come with a hydraulic brake switch, so that's on the way. Last thing needed to meet DOT regulations.Has Kenda K270 DOT rated front and rear tires.Has a speedometer on it that utilized a magnetic front rotor bolt and sensor.New gear ratio, (14T front and a 48T rear) hopefully make 70mph tops with more reasonable rev ranges for my 7 miles commute to work.Overall the kit has been very easy (and fun 8-) ) to install.Issue now lies with the DMV. I bought the bike off a friend 6 years ago. It was off-road, so I didn't care to have the MSO/Title.I got in touch with him back at the end of last year, got the MSO. It's still in the name of the guy they bought it off of. (Family friend)It has been notarized now to him and then from him to me. To add to this, the MSO still has a lien. Friend called the original owner and had them fax me a lien release from Honda.DMV isn't fond of it not being the original, so I'm going to try and sneak it by one more time before I have to start making a bunch of calls....The other kicker is the rebuilt department at KY DMV said since the MSO lists the bike as "Off-Road Only" I'm going to have to get another MSO issued without that, but it's nearly impossible to do that.I'm glad I have another bike to ride while I relax and take my time with this or I would go tired from all these hoops I'm jumping through...

2014 Lexus IS350

It's too bad you didn't research first. I have it on good authority it's much cheaper, less hassle to just buy a factory street & trail bike vs trying to make a dirt bike street legal. My friend in Liberty, Indiana has his Honda (I think an 83') XR650 with around 4k miles for sale. He's not too far from you actually, a few hours. 

Beemer

It's too bad you didn't research first. I have it on good authority it's much cheaper, less hassle to just buy a factory street & trail bike vs trying to make a dirt bike street legal. My friend in Liberty, Indiana has his Honda (I think an 83') XR650 with around 4k miles for sale. He's not too far from you actually, a few hours. 
Its all very convoluted...multiple forums say its possible.The local DMV didn't seem too concerned with the "Not manufactured for highway use" as much as the lady in Frankfort said. As long as it passes a sheriffs inspection for on road use and has enough cc for KY it *should* be good. Will update when I am able to get up there next.
I only did this because I've owned the bike for a while, know its history, and I recently sold my project car and needed something to tinker with. It'd be nice to get more use out of it as well. Not a big deal if I can't get it plated either way - was just a fun project!
This keeps me from dealing with Bozos from craigslist anyways... >:D

2014 Lexus IS350

Its all very convoluted...multiple forums say its possible.The local DMV didn't seem too concerned with the "Not manufactured for highway use" as much as the lady in Frankfort said. As long as it passes a sheriffs inspection for on road use and has enough cc for KY it *should* be good. Will update when I am able to get up there next.
I only did this because I've owned the bike for a while, know its history, and I recently sold my project car and needed something to tinker with. It'd be nice to get more use out of it as well. Not a big deal if I can't get it plated either way - was just a fun project!
This keeps me from dealing with Bozos from craigslist anyways... >:D

lol! Bozo low ballers.

Beemer

• 5 months later...

So....It's been awhile

Kinda gave up on this thing after the lady at the courthouse told me if the MSO said "Offroad use only" that she wouldn't be able to issue me a road title.

Sat around with it for awhile, with 600$ worth of Dual Sport conversion gear, before I started googling other states laws and talking to some friends.

It's now KY plated and street legal!

Long story made long....

Gave my friend the bike, along with a notarized MSO and Bill of Sale.
He gave me $1,200 collateral for the time being.

He takes the MSO to the courthouse in the great state of OH, 20 minutes later walks out with a license plate.
OH still allows the affadavit of body change. They didn't give a s*it about the copied lien release, nor the "Offroad use only" on the MSO.

As payment he rode the bike for a month and put over 500 miles on it.

'Sold' it back and KY had no problem accepting the OH title.

So after all the frustration I finally have my long time dirtbike street legal! YAY loopholes..

o6Exett.jpg

2014 Lexus IS350

Pics or it didn't happen
Pic updated!

2014 Lexus IS350

Archived