The MT-07 Forum

NEED HELP WITH BUYING!!!

wgrimsley144743

wgrimsley144743

First off I come with a heavy heart to report that I am getting rid of m FZ... but I am trading a 2015 FZ straight up for a 2013 zx6r. Both have 6500 miles on them. So my question is... they guy I am trading with currently holds the physical title in his hand. The name on the title is the repo agency he bought the bike from a week ago. They signed the back of the title as well as he did. He has not however had the tittle put in his name since he was decided he did not like the bike and wanted to trade. So can he legally sale me his bike since he is not the name on the tittle but the title has been signed over to him?

I'm speaking form VA DMV experience. You're state may be different. Call your DMV for concrete info. I'm just a guy on the internet after all.

To properly hold on to a bike without titling and registering it, he should have a power of attorney (PoA) form in that case. The repo agency signs the following:
1. The PoA form saying that the zx6r guy has the rights to that motorcycle and can do what he wishes to it.
2. The seller signature portion on on the title in the name of the repo agency. Sell date, mileage, and buyer name and signature should be left blank.

Since he didn't, the zx6r guy has legal possession/ownership of the bike, but he cant legally operate it on public roads. He would have to get it titled in his name, and then sign the new title over to you. DMV should have an option to title without registering so you can have a smooth transaction. Anything other than that is asking for more hassle/trouble than its worth and can leave you as the one getting screwed. If you're presenting a clean, no hassle transaction to him, he should do the same to you.

Title = ownership rights
Registration = operating rights

bmwpowere36m3

In CT, the title allows for multiple "owners" to transfer ownership... typically it's only used by dealers who might transfer a car once or twice before final sale without retitling.

There is a risk, when there's multiple transfers on a single title... If there is a lien, then it needs to be released.

Assuming no shady business, as long as it's signed by the repo company, the person you bought it from, no liens and you have a bill of sale... you should be alright.

Best to contact local DMV.

bigdaddybane
The name on the title is the repo agency he bought the bike from a week ago. They signed the back of the title as well as he did. He has not however had the tittle put in his name since he was decided he did not like the bike and wanted to trade. So can he legally sale me his bike since he is not the name on the tittle but the title has been signed over to him?
I've been in similar situation twice in the past ... my advice walk away.  

• Global Moderator

This may be legit but it sounds like a recipe for disaster. Personally I would walk away until he can show you a title in his name.

I'd be very hesitant, this seller wants to even trade bikes at theoretical loss. It's a red flag, especially if he comes off in a hurry to do the deal...be very cautious.

2016 Raven (White) ~ Akrapovic Carbon Exhaust / 2WDW ECU Flash / CRG LS Mirrors / Seat Concepts Seat / Givi Windscreen / OES Sliders / R6 Throttle Tube / Ohlins YA419 & NIX22

• Global Moderator
This may be legit but it sounds like a recipe for disaster. Personally I would walk away until he can show you a title in his name.
^ This ^

Unless the title is physically in his name, I personally would walk. How are you going to register the bike if the repo agency claims their bike was stolen or does not belong to the man?

How do you know there is not an existing lien on the motorcycle without a clean title?

Check the VIN History for more information:
https://www.vehiclehistory.com/

wgrimsley144743

UPDATE: The title has in fact been signed with the repo agency as sell and his signature as buyer. He has a bill of sale also for the buy from the dealership for the bike signed by him and the dealer ship. I also have run the vin number and it is clean. He got this bike at a steal from the loan agency.... same price i paid for my fz so its not a loss per say. Still rather hesitant but i guess we will know tomorrow morning. Any thoughts on the new found details? He also was not hesitant he actually backed out at first but then went and sat on a FZ at the dealer and fell in love and I showed him how the FZ has ultimate low end power and sounds like hell is being cracked open with thors hammer. Also there is no lein. He paid outright for the bike. 

• Premium Member

Depends on your individual state laws. Even if it's okay, as it is where I live (or, once was; guess how I know), you may be responsible for extra fees and penalties, though. Check it out first with your DMV!!!

Any thoughts on the new found details?  

My personal opinion hasn't changed. If you provide an easy transaction, he should as well. Contact your DMV to see what needs to be done in this specific case. I could be doing business with the blessed Virgin Mary, but I'd still want a title with her name on it.

I could be doing business with the blessed Virgin Mary, but I'd still want a title with her name on it.
But then you'd never ride the bike because that title paper would be too priceless to turn in to the DMV.

RUUUUUUN FORRRREST, RUUUUN! 

I kid, sounds about 95% legit to me. If it were I, I would talk to my bank for total assurance.

Beemer

bmwpowere36m3

Obviously having the title in the seller's name will be the least-risky. Not that time should be a driving factor, but if the seller is going to re-title it… it might take a few weeks or month to receive the new title (at least that's my experience in CT, YMMV).

Another option is to contact the owner on the title, so the Repo company… ask them about the sale and maybe get something in writing from them (notarized would be great). Finally contact your DMV on specifics. In the end, only you can decide what level of risk you're willing to accept.

wgrimsley144743

I went through with the deal. Drove from south Alabama to Pensecola in the rain on... 500 mile round trip. The zx6r was perfect minus a small crack on the bell pan. I gave him $200 to help with the $600 title fee (I won $100 on a scratch off on the way there) so the deal could be done that day. The title was legit and all that needed to be done for the title to be sold to me and put in my name was he had to register the vehicle and pay taxes on it. So for future reference in Florida the title has to be in the sellers name. They can process all of that at the DMV. Thank you all for your help, this is what makes the Bike community so special!

• Global Moderator

You have to post a picture of your ZX6R, you just have too !

• 2 weeks later...
BGA4PEUBHiK 
you need to upload the pic to a hosting site, then post a link to the pic. 
Go to something such as:

http://imgur.com/

Click on the blue upload images button on the upper left, either browse or drag and drop the image, then choose "start upload" in green.

Afterwards on the right, look for "share this image" and copy and paste the "direct link" if you want to post the picture directly. 

IF you are on the phone, after going to the imgur site, touch the cloud/arrow symbol and disregard the 'get app' (X it) and just hit upload from device.  Click on documents and the pic (might be different on whatever phone you have... just find the option that allows you to ch oose your pics from the phone), select UPLOAD.  When done, select the drop down "link" menu and choose "direct link".  Copy the direct link address.  And just paste it on the post reply.

Engaging with people that have personality disorders on a message board is like arguing with a rock.

Archived