The MT-07 Forum

600 mile self service?

liami

Has anybody ever done the 600 mile self service on their own instead of taking it into the shop? I've checked valve clearances before on other bikes and obviously changed oil, what else might the 600 mile first service consist of? What fixes has anybody had to make during this service? I don't want a shop to rip me for checking valve clearances even if they never even opened it up to check, so if I could do it myself, I might as well. Just want to make sure I don't miss anything.

• Premium Member

Sure, I did... many do. The only issue is the throttle-sync procedure which is well documented here. Good luck!!!

Oil change, chain tightening/clean & lube, check tire pressure, check coolant levels, some do throttle bodies although from what I read it isn't really necessary with so little miles, it is mostly there as a precautionary step.

Guest Ralph

Valve clearances don't need checking till something like 24,000 miles
change oil and filter, check coolant the chain will want adjusting if
you haven't done it by then, brake fluids, check for any leaks, adjust
cables free play, I would check the throttle body sync as it did make
a difference to mine.

So only thing I haven't done previously is basically the brake fluids, which I'm positive are easy, and the throttle sync. Avanti said the throttle sync procedure is in this forum already? And by chain, you mean the drive chain, not cam chain?

Oh is the throttle sync like a carb sync on a carbed bike? I just did a carb sync on my ex500, is it basically the same procedure?

• Premium Member
fz07fanboy

The throttle sync is just like carb sync. It's very easy to do. I just checked mine last week since the 600 mile service. I now have 9400 miles on mine and it was perfect since the minor adjustment I made at 600 miles. It only took me 5 min to do. If you have a pair of long needle nose pliers, you can connect the 2 hoses on the throttle bodies and check them.

Does the tank lift on a pivot so I can keep the tank attached, or do I need to attach a makeshift secondary fuel container? Sorry, I don't have he bike yet, I'm picking it up on froday

• Premium Member
fz07fanboy

The tank doesn't lift on a swivel. You don't even have to remove the tank.

I just noticed that the tank sides are actually fairings from pics I saw online. Does anyone have anymore detailed pics with the fairings on their own?

• Premium Member

If you use the search function here you will find a MASSIVE thread devoted to the throttle sync procedure, with pix, step-by-step instructions, etc.

And, despite some of the griping here about adjusting the chain, I (and others) find it no problem. If you're experienced at this on other bikes you should have no problem, either, with the 07. I simply put my bike on a rear stand (not the through the axle-bolt type), then mark the two adjustment-nuts so that I can be sure to turn both the exact same amount in order to get the chain slack I desire. Btw, I am in agreement with those who say most owners tend to adjust their chains too tightly causing undue and premature wear.  All the best!

Archived