The MT-07 Forum

Oil Filter Socket Size?

blackout

• Premium Member

Sorry guys, my search function works terrible on my work computer.  What size is the socket for the Yamaha oil filter?  I want to pick one up today at the auto parts store.  Thanks!

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

The oil filters I get from my Yamaha dealership don't have nuts on them so I use an oil filter wrench. I prefer the type that act like pliers.

Beemer

• Premium Member
The oil filters I get from my Yamaha dealership don't have nuts on them so I use an oil filter wrench. I prefer the type that act like pliers. 

I know.  But there are large sockets that will fit the large hex on the filter.  Many sizes are available from a good auto parts store.  I was wondering if anyone knows the size.  This way I can get a ratchet on it and snug it down with a better feel.  Thanks. 
In hind sight I would have brought the filter to work so that I could size it up at the store, but I forgot..... 

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

• Premium Member

It would be better to tighten it by hand, IMO. 1/2-3/4 turn after the gasket touches has been the standard for decades.
I do have a few of those sockets for the cars due to space, but honestly, they don't fit that well and I dread the day I go to remove one and it just slips. It's like putting a 17mm wrench on a 16mm head.

- Andy

bmwpowere36m3

I would only use the oil filter socket to remove the filter... to install, thread till the gasket just touches and a half-turn more (done by hand easily). I use a strap wrench to remove or do it by hand with gloves on.

dentalprodigy

Hey OP. Don't know the size but I'd consider one of those pliar type tools that can grip the oil filter to help remove it. As others have mentioned, I wouldn't use anything to tighten other than hand tightening it.

Like this tool http://imgur.com/kNEIu6M I bought it for ~$8 bucks with 20% off coupon at Harbor Freight.
Rest of the album for context http://imgur.com/a/XFYvV

I thought you were talking about loosening it. Tighten it by hand like others said. BTW, there is no hex on the filter I just bought but I have seen them.

For future reference, this is my fav wrench for when things get tough. If anything happens to get oily this grips the best.

[attachment id=1705" thumbnail="1]

Beemer

• Premium Member

Tightening by hand is for auto oil filters with the rubber washer. The FZ-07 filter uses an O-ring and the body of the filter is designed to bottom onto the block with o-ring seals. Two different animals. There is a reason why Yamaha gives a torque setting.

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

bmwpowere36m3
Tightening by hand is for auto oil filters with the rubber washer. The FZ-07 filter uses an O-ring and the body of the filter is designed to bottom onto the block with o-ring seals. Two different animals. There is a reason why Yamaha gives a torque setting.
Its a p-seal and some automotive filters have it as well.  In reality it's no different and first-hand experience shows this.

bmwpowere36m3
I thought you were talking about loosening it. Tighten it by hand like others said. BTW, there is no hex on the filter I just bought but I have seen them. 
For future reference, this is my fav wrench for when things get tough. If anything happens to get oily this grips the best.

There's no hex, but the top or front (however you look at it) of the can has a scalloped-edge and there are specialty sockets for that (few inches in diameter).

41qWHhvLdzL._SY300_.jpg

Their useful when you can't get a tool (strap wrench, filter wrench, hands, punched screwdriver thru it, etc…), 90* to the can due to clearance

The factory installed oil filter was pretty much stuck on mine, had to use a channellock with considerable force to get it off, new filter went on hand tight.

There's no hex, but the top or front (however you look at it) of the can has a scalloped-edge and there are specialty sockets for that (few inches in diameter). 
      41qWHhvLdzL._SY300_.jpg

Their useful when you can't get a tool (strap wrench, filter wrench, hands, punched screwdriver thru it, etc…), 90* to the can due to clearance

Damn, I hate to jump into this fray, but the socket shown above is pretty handy for tight automotive quarters.  I did purchase the same type for the bike's filter.  Take the filter to Advance Auto, or Autozone, and they'll match it up.  Only a few bucks.  With the mega vibration of these engines, I don't know if I'd trust hand tightening, but with this socket, it doesn't need a lot of effort to snug sufficiently either. 

“The real cycle you're working on is a cycle called yourself.”
— Robert M. Pirsig (Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values)

• Premium Member

65mm is the size I found. Mine came off fine and went on easy with the socket tool.

While hand tight might get the proper torque. Make sure you have a good grip on the filter or the actual torque could be miss leading.

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

Hand tight and 1/2 a turn dude. Anything else is being overly pedantic. It is a motorcycle, not a turbine engine strapped to an aircraft.

• Premium Member
Hand tight and 1/2 a turn dude. Anything else is being overly pedantic. It is a motorcycle, not a turbine engine strapped to an aircraft.
Don't call me dude, LOL! 
Just saying this filter is designed to bottom on the block unlike most auto filters.  If a half turn bottoms on the block then fine, but the o-ring alone is not designed to hold the filter in place like the auto filters with the flat rubber washer.  It needs to bottom on the block.

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

41qWHhvLdzL._SY300_.jpg

Don't know the size, but I have one of these for my 2012 Rav4 oil filter canister and it's a perfect fit on the fz-07. And of course I realized this out after my band oil wrenches didn't fit on the first oil change and I ended up using the ol screwdriver through the side method haha.

• Premium Member

Just a note, all the "sockets," as you call them, are NOT created equally. Some fit and work well--I've used many for years with complete satisfaction... BUT, there are cheapos available that are crap and DO tend to slip. The latter are essentially worthless, of course. I suggest that you actually take a filter and check the fit before buying.

Btw, there are MANY variations of these things (number, size, and depth of flutes) and I've found even the "same" filters for the same application by the same manufacturer do NOT always take the same "wrench."  All the best!!!

• 2 weeks later...
crustyxpunk

If the filter is really stuck on there I typically just use a large set of pliers to pinch the filter. If you dab a little oil on the new filter seal and tighten by hand you should be fine when it comes time for removal.

Archived