The MT-07 Forum

Perforated or non-perforated leather jacket???

danfz07

Wanting to upgrade some of my textile gear to leather and can't decide between a regular leather jacket or perforated.  It gets pretty warm here in New Mexico but mornings can be pretty cool as I live in the mountains at 7000ft elevation.  Will the perforated flow too much air in the mornings?  Although I like having the flexibility to open and close of vents, they never seem to flow enough air when it is 90 degrees.  Just wanting some first had experience with from fellow riders.  Thanks in advance for any advice.
Dan

Also, looking at Alpinestars Jaws and Joe Rocket Hyperdrive.

twowheeladdict

I have perforated leather jackets. Whether you feel cool or not is a personal comfort thing. Most come with a vest liner. Personally, I am comfortable from around 75 to 95 in the humid southeast. When I am in the arid southwest, I am comfortable from around 60 to 100.

What I like about perforated over zipper vents is that you can wear a snug fitting jacket and feel the breeze where the vented jackets need some room for the wind to flow.

2015 FZ-07

• Premium Member

I've been using my Fox creek "drifter" jacket exclusively for about 16 months. So, it has seen temps from 30 degrees (with the liner and layers) up to the mid to high 90's in the humid South East.

I love the thing, with the vents open and just a t-shirt on it keeps me cool in the summer. The caveat however is that you -have- to be moving, or it gets hot quick. Once you get moving again though, it almost feels like you have A.C.

I've made it work through all manner of traffic and congestion, but there have been times where I thought it was too much. No leather jacket would be suitable in a 30 mile backup in August though.

Everything went braap.

I've been using my Fox creek "drifter" jacket exclusively for about 16 months. So, it has seen temps from 30 degrees (with the liner and layers) up to the mid to high 90's in the humid South East.  
I love the thing, with the vents open and just a t-shirt on it keeps me cool in the summer. The caveat however is that you -have- to be moving, or it gets hot quick. Once you get moving again though, it almost feels like you have A.C.

I've made it work through all manner of traffic and congestion, but there have been times where I thought it was too much. No leather jacket would be suitable in a 30 mile backup in August though.
Agreed! I rode to Anna Maria Island one time last year before all the snow birds had left and had problems with my jacket. It was a Saturday in early May so the temps were up around 90. I got stuck in traffic that lasted about an hour and a half and I was miserable from the heat and I really hated biking that day. That was while wearing a nice textile mesh jacket with a sewn in, perforated liner. You have to keep moving in any mesh or perforated jacket when the temperature and humidity combined make it muggy/hot. It can be 80 degrees and too humid for a jacket. Even just stopping at those long lights can tend you make you hot and if there are a lot of them the jacket can be rendered useless for keeping cool in. 

Beemer

• Premium Member

I can only come from the experience of a non-perf leather jacket. Living in SoCal has limited me in using it since the weather here is usually too hot or too cold for its use during the year. It was the first jacket I bought and doesn't come with a liner or space for a back protector. It is an "urban" lifestyle model...

This works comfortably between 65-75F. Anything out of that range is you'll need layers or wish you had a textile.

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

• Global Moderator

I love my perforated Alpinestars Jaws. I have had it since Christmas and have riden in temps from about 50° to 70° I have yet to take the liner out as it only briefly hit 70 one day. I cannot yet speak to warm weather but I think with the liner out it should be good, at least to the temperatures we get here (in the 80's and maybe the occasional 90°day)

I have both and prefer my perforated coat. I can add one of these puffy coats and be comfortable in temps in the low 40's - and the puffy coat is small enough i can throw it in my bag and it doesn't take up much space.

Thanks for all the help, I am leaning toward the Perforated jacket. I really think that would suit me best and kind of fit the whole reason I want leather, to have a snug fitting jacket.

I have a perforated dianese and it works for me here in north Florida just great. Early mornings in the winter get down to about 40 regularly and with the liner in im comfortable. During the summer the perforations make it bearable in the 100 degree heat with 90% humidity. You have to remember too, at those temps its going to be hot even if you go without a jacket.

87' Honda VFR 700 F2 (sold)
03' Honda CBR F4I (donated)
05' Yamaha R1 (sold)
15' FZ-o7

• 1 month later...

I just got the astars brerra. Riding in PNW. So morning are cold here in the summer. I just wear a hoodie underneath. Im loving the jacket. Its up there in the range tho

• Premium Member

Perforated AGV Breeze jacket. It works well and doesn't break the bank. As stated before, works best while in motion.

• Global Moderator

Astars Gp PlusR perf jacket...
Az heat + leather jacket this was a must for me

I could easily see tossing a hoodie.or something underneath if i absolutely need to at the end of the year

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

Astars Gp PlusR perf jacket... Az heat + leather jacket this was a must for me

I could easily see tossing a hoodie.or something underneath if i absolutely need to at the end of the year
How is the fit on that jacket? Think it would be too snug with a hoodie?

• Premium Member

If you're feeling ritzy, check out Motoport gear. They have various kevlar weaves they say are much lighter and breathable and 10 times stronger than leather. Machine washable and their black dye stays (apparently) 15 deg. cooler than other black fabrics. Fully customizable with colours and pockets etc and made to your measurements. 7 year warranty and if it gets thrashed they will replace it. My next "go-to". Reviews are tops.
Not much more $$ than a good leather if you keep things simple.

http://www.motoport.com/

I currently wear a Dainese (nonperf) AvroC2 jacket and man it gets hot when at a stand still as would any leather, perf or not. My perf leather pants might as well be black garbage bags on a hot day. I picked up a CoolMax undersuit and some socks from motodracing and it definitely helps.

http://www.motodracing.com/coolmax-motorcycle-undersuit
http://www.motodracing.com/coolmax-motorcycle-socks-3-pairs

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

Archived