The MT-07 Forum

Total Noob Moment but was Fun

Talon

The local area Yamaha dealership is hosting the Yamaha Demo trailer and I finally got to ride the FZ-07. I signed my life away and then listened to the rules given by the ride leader. In the spirit of full disclosure, I had told the ride leader that it has been 15 years since I have been on a motorcycle. She then asked me to do a lap around the parking lot. So I get on the bike, start it up just fine and go to pull out of the demo area. What do I do... stall the bike. Didn't give the bike enough gas and released the clutch too quick when I started feeling it hit the friction zone. Take two. Got it back into neutral quick and tried again. Success. Take one lap around the parking lot and pull back into the staging area. I grab the front brakes going pretty slow and they really grab, much more than I was anticipating. The woman leading the demo says well, I don't think you are quite ready for what we are going to be doing today but at least you got to ride around the parking lot. Oh well. A bit discouraging but it has been a long time since I've ridden and I wouldn't want to be responsible for me on a motorcycle either. Guess I'll just have to buy my own.

Guest MXRider

I recommend taking the MSF basic riders course, they supply the bike. Just to get you acclimated back on 2 wheels in a safe environment.

• Premium Member
I recommend taking the MSF basic riders course, they supply the bike. Just to get you acclimated back on 2 wheels in a safe environment.
Agreed. If you got an FZ07 before, you can even take that to the class.   

Yeah talon, those brakes did the same to me. I was used to my 6yr old cruiser with single rotar brake up front required me to really pull on it to stop....the FZ07 was like, "DID YOU SAY STOP?" :)

• Global Moderator

I second the basic MSF course idea. I had my FZ-07 a week before I took the MSF course and it was worth it. I had not riden much for over twenty years and felt a lot more confident after the course. It also corrected some bad habits and taught me stuff I had forgotten (or perhaps never learned). It was also fairly inexpensive, especially as they supplied the bike.

I gotta say the Harley Davidson dealership near my place is where i took the MSF course and boy was it fun! The most fun i've had in my life probably! Also i was in the first class to do the course on the brand new HD Street 500's, must say it was a fun little bike! learn-rotation3.jpgSame exact one i rode on. Really fun. Hell i'd probably take it just for giggles again if i didn't have to pay like 350$

"Shoot? I'm a hippie. The only thing I've shot is acid. I heard of a dude snorted it once. Thought his nose was a kangaroo and the moon was a dog! WOOH!" - The Truth (GTA San Andreas)

Guest montana07

New rider here, would absolutely recommend the MSF course. Great for gaining familiarity with the mechanics and gaining confidence.

I've taken the MSF course before. That's how I got my license. I plan on taking it at the start of the motorcycle season next year right before I purchase my new FZ-07 not only for a refresher but for the insurance break.

Archived