The MT-07 Forum

Cycle World Comparison...

rowdy

• Premium Member

I just found this article online:
CycleWorld Comparison: Ducati Scrambler Icon vs. Triumph Street Twin vs. Yamaha FZ-07
I'm not sure I agree with their conclusions, especially about styling, but having only ridden the FZ, I can't really comment on some of the other stuff. Still, it's interesting.

Why can't left turners see us?

Guest 2wheeler

OK, so I'm convinced - this reviewer is an a..hole!!!

When you say "the FZ-07’s liquid-cooled, eight-valve, 689cc parallel-twin engine is the least charismatic of this group", and then follows it up with "Wind it out, however, and there’s no mistaking it comes from the same factory as the crossplane YZF-R1. Low-end and midrange torque are excellent, making for smooth takeoffs. Power falls flat at higher revs, but even so the “little” Yamaha made the most ponies in this group (67.8 hp), outgunning the bigger Ducati (67.1 hp) by a few decimal points. But what really makes the FZ-07 feel sporty is its slick-shifting close-ratio six-speed transmission, which begs to be rowed and gives the ride a sense of urgency", you are an IDIOT!!!

Don't even get me started on his dissing the looks of the FZ-07...

..and then he says, "Our silver testbike also had a gag-inducing purple frame and wheels" Well, I think my wheels and frame freaking look AWESOME!!!

Nuf said!

• Premium Member

The burple wheels and frame do look awesome! It's one of the reasons I bought my bike. :)

Interesting how we turn to professionals for a good, solid review at times and in the process we unexpectedly hear things we don't like hearing and figuratively get sand kicked in our faces. The blurple remark was unnecessary and some of his comparisons off. Not the best review. My question now is what's the reason for the longest stopping times of the bunch? I'm looking at the tires and their compound since this was also the lightest bike. I'm betting that softer, grippier tires would help. You would think he could've said something like better tires or this or that would help but he didn't. I hope he doesn't get any for a month.

Beemer

My FZ's front brake pretty much sucked until I'd given it a good bleed that required lifting one of the calipers up high enough to get rid of that loop of hose between the 2 calipers.

Maybe their example was also spongy.

It's OK, 2 years ago, our FZ was winning comparo after comparo. They seem to favor new stuff over old - even if old is just year 2. Let someone else have the spotlight

I read this the other week, thought the author was a moron as well. Talks about how good and practical the 07 is and then cuts it down in the conclusion.

I get it, the bike can't win all the time but the way this article was presented I wasn't a fan of.

Coincidentally, that was my last issue of Cycle World - literally. Decided to let my subscription lapse a few issues ago.

• Premium Member

My take... It is weird that he says "To Yamaha’s credit, however, the FZ-07 still got a pair of four-piston front brake calipers, giving it the most stopping power of this bunch" and then goes on to say "even if it somehow posted the longest stopping distances". MOST STOPPING POWER <> LONGEST STOPPING DISTANCE" Maybe they did the stop tests before the riding and the brakes had become firmer?
The FZ was the fastest by far 0-60, 40-60, and only lost by 0.1 sec 60-80 to the Scrambler. The Triumph is just a slow pig.
Also, he says of the FZ: "What “retro” will look like in the future", maybe that's a compliment? Because retro from the time when Triumph Bonnies were cool is cool now? He says of the Triumph "More “vintage Triumph” in spirit, yet a better modern bike than the last-gen Bonnie". I say too little too late. It's still a poser bike for the hipsters. The Ducati is very nice, but I'll still take FZ for price(better)/performance(better) reliability(better), parts availability(better), and serviceability(better). I agree it was a pretty lame comparo, and I'm still loving my FZ-07!

bmwpowere36m3

I'm not impressed with the FZ-07 front brakes (especially considering the twin rotor/four-pot design)... my old '86 Kawasaki 454 with single, non-floating rotor has better feel and power.

They feel "dead" initially and require a lot of lever force to generate stopping power. I'm thinking a set of HH pads maybe will do the trick.

I'm not impressed with the FZ-07 front brakes (especially considering the twin rotor/four-pot design)... my old '86 Kawasaki 454 with single, non-floating rotor has better feel and power. 
They feel "dead" initially and require a lot of lever force to generate stopping power. I'm thinking a set of HH pads maybe will do the trick.

I agree about the brakes being so so. But I always assumed they maybe felt worse by the sloppy soft front suspension tossing about under braking.

Put HH pads on my Aprilia for the 1st time last fall and considering taking them off. They're terrible in slop/go traffic as they tend to judder as you come to a stop. They're also hard on the rotors - those are also brand new EBCs as are the braided lines. As for feel or stopping distance, not felt much of a change from the old stuff - maybe a bit stronger and lever feel is better, but that's from replacing 13 year old hoses and rotors. These are HH pads meant for fast street riding as opposed to track.  
That loop of hose that goes from one caliper up and over to the other is a perfect place for an air bubble to hide. Bleeding w/o removing one caliper and holding it up high might not get a bubble out of that loop. My FZ's front brake now feels much, much better.  

Oh, the Andreani cartridge does take every mm of that sloppy dive out of the front suspension under hard braking. 

bmwpowere36m3
Put HH pads on my Aprilia for the 1st time last fall and considering taking them off. They're terrible in slop/go traffic as they tend to judder as you come to a stop. They're also hard on the rotors - those are also brand new EBCs as are the braided lines. As for feel or stopping distance, not felt much of a change from the old stuff - maybe a bit stronger and lever feel is better, but that's from replacing 13 year old hoses and rotors. These are HH pads meant for fast street riding as opposed to track.  
That loop of hose that goes from one caliper up and over to the other is a perfect place for an air bubble to hide. Bleeding w/o removing one caliper and holding it up high might not get a bubble out of that loop. My FZ's front brake now feels much, much better.  

Oh, the Andreani cartridge does take every mm of that sloppy dive out of the front suspension under hard braking. 

You didn't care for the EBC HH pads? I just ordered a set for the FZ-07, was hoping to improve initial bite and feel. I'll probably bleed the brakes, but they don't feel spongy. Just kind of dead initially and a higher level of lever force.

Maybe it's the size of the MC, but already there's a good amount of lever travel.

Fork upgrade is in the works...

bigdaddybane

This goes beyond biased review. I guess outsold brands in this category like Ducati and Triumph might be greasing up few wallets for a favorable review ... nothing new, it happens all the time.

• Premium Member

Given how positive all the reviews for the 07 were when it arrived, I thought the comments in this article pretty tepid, surprisingly so.

• Global Moderator

You didn't care for the EBC HH pads? I just ordered a set for the FZ-07, was hoping to improve initial bite and feel. I'll probably bleed the brakes, but they don't feel spongy. Just kind of dead initially and a higher level of lever force.

Maybe it's the size of the MC, but already there's a good amount of lever travel.

Fork upgrade is in the works...
The ebc.hh pads for the 07 arent that bad
even with stock lines and shorty levers the feel is much better than stock pads

I plan on upgrading the lines to braided shortly

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

An even goofier review is MotorCyclist's recent comparo between the new Street Triple, Victory Octane, Yamaha Bolt and some Harley - (can't remember which as there's no place in my brain for it)

So, a std versus 3 feet-forward, reach for the bars, cruisers. Guess which won, lol.

Archived