The MT-07 Forum

Hopes and dreams have been shattered

ccam7374

Well I have written before that I sold my Harley and have the money to purchase the FZ-07. I waited and finally found a good deal but the dealer that is going to work with me and give me the good deal has to order the color I want which is the armor grey with the neon yellow wheels. The last I talked to them they said when they get an estimated delivery time they would call and let me know, that was 2 days ago. In the mean time my truck starts acting up really bad (it's 10 years old). So my hopes of getting the bike are crushed because all the money I have to buy the bike I will either have to put down on a new truck or invest almost all of it to fix a ten year old truck. I don't want to put $3500-$5000 into a 10 year old vehicle. So I am looking at taking the "bike" money and going out to buy a new truck. Or I thought maybe I could meet in the middle and just finance half the bike and put the rest on a new truck and then have 2 notes to pay one on a new truck and another on a new bike which I really want the bike but really need a truck. I can't haul a family around on the back of a bike. So any input from you all would be nice.

• Premium Member

Running automobile is the priority with a family...if you was single with no kids, go for the bike and save for a newer automobile

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

bmwpowere36m3
Running automobile is the priority with a family...if you was single with no kids, go for the bike and save for a newer automobile
+1

Only you can decide… who cares what people say on the forum.  You'll have to live with the choice/consequences.  I would assume/hope (for your sake), you'd run this by your spouse/partner as well (if I understand correctly, you have a family)…. and I assume you know the answer ;)  A lot of assuming…  Does your spouse/partner have a vehicle?

On a side note, do you know for sure the truck needs $3-5k in work?  What's the truck worth in good running condition?  That's a lot of work to need all of a sudden.

+1 
Only you can decide… who cares what people say on the forum.  You'll have to live with the choice/consequences.  I would assume/hope (for your sake), you'd run this by your spouse/partner as well (if I understand correctly, you have a family)…. and I assume you know the answer ;)  A lot of assuming…  Does your spouse/partner have a vehicle?

On a side note, do you know for sure the truck needs $3-5k in work?  What's the truck worth in good running condition?  That's a lot of work to need all of a

My spouse does have a vehicle, her car is only about 4 months old. My truck on the other hand, the rack and pinion is busted up bad and needs changing. I am loosing power steering fluid bad and having to ad about every 4 days. The water pump is leaking so that needs a changing and I already changed it once. Just the other day I started it and it made a bad whining noise and it makes the noise now every time I start it. Also I am almost positive that the rings are bad cause it smoke's a blue smoke going down the road and the smoking just started doing that and I checked the oil and it was low so I think it is burning oil. I was unaware it was smoking till my neighbor told me he watched me the other day go by and it was smoking real bad. So it is a combination of things. Yes I have a family and it is the need of my family over the want of myself. Maybe I can get the bike or one equivalent in a year or two.

Oh and my truck in good working condition is worth maybe 3-4k. 5k at best. As I said before I will need the $7500 I have for the bike to put down on a new one plus whatever they give me on a trade for my truck.

• Global Moderator

Unfortunately it sounds like you are buying a new truck and waiting a while on the bike. That is what I would be doing anyway, although with a heavy heart. You can live the FZ-07 lifestyle vicariously through us for a while.

• Global Moderator

In a way you are lucky. The bike is just a toy. And if you spent your hard earned cash on a toy just to discover that you need the money for something essential , you would be s.o.l.
Now you can solve your problem by buying a new truck (get a Toyota haha). Then hang around on this forum, save up some money and get a 2017 or 2018 FZ07. You will be the envy of everyone here.

Sorry to hear man. As others have said, maybe a blessing in disguise happening before you purchased the bike.

Any reason either of the purchases (bike/truck) have to be brand new? I swore off new car purchases a few years ago; the depeciation as soon as the vehicle leaves the lot was more the enough to sway me (forget the rediculous price of new trrucks these days). It takes some patience but great used vehicles do exist.

Best of luck and hope to see you around.

Sorry about your misfortune, that does suck when you're that close. It seems to me no matter what you do in regards to the truck, whether it being the same truck and you choose to fix it up or get a different used one, you should have at least 2k set aside for emergency repairs to major components in case it breaks down in the future so that you don't find yourself in another fix like this again. I suggest (if you absolutely have to have a bike of some kind) either fix the truck or get a used one that's running well (but remember, you may be buying someone else's troubles if you don't spot them and you already know what yours are with the truck you have) and keeping 2k in the bank and then get a used bike with what's left. If it's the thrill of biking you want badly you can get it from a good, used bike. Good luck!

Just curious, why so much in repairs all at once? Transmission go out? Engine? Both? 

Beemer

+1 

On a side note, do you know for sure the truck needs $3-5k in work?  What's the truck worth in good running condition?  That's a lot of work to need all of a

My spouse does have a vehicle, her car is only about 4 months old. My truck on the other hand, the rack and pinion is busted up bad and needs changing. I am loosing power steering fluid bad and having to ad about every 4 days. The water pump is leaking so that needs a changing and I already changed it once. Just the other day I started it and it made a bad whining noise and it makes the noise now every time I start it. Also I am almost positive that the rings are bad cause it smoke's a blue smoke going down the road and the smoking just started doing that and I checked the oil and it was low so I think it is burning oil. I was unaware it was smoking till my neighbor told me he watched me the other day go by and it was smoking real bad. So it is a combination of things. Yes I have a family and it is the need of my family over the want of myself. Maybe I can get the bike or one equivalent in a year or two.
The highlighted stuff is easy enough to do yourself with generic tools and would only cost a couple-few hundred bucks for parts. Search google and the forums for your make and model, also youtube has some fantastic how to guides to walk you through almost any repair. As for your engine I would suggest have a shop you trust look at it, the engine is what will be the big money eater here. Depending on what the shop says you may be able to fix it for considerably less then you think, though engine work does not tend to be cheap and a real pain in the ass to do yourself. 

BTW- I am not a certified mechanic. Just a DIY mechanic when I can. I enjoy wrenching, and have self taught how to do many repair jobs with manuals, forum, youtube, and friends. Not all projects are difficult, but the intimidation of having never done it before can be quite stressful, especially when you hit a hiccup along the way(there is always at least 1, even on the easy projects). 

If you are somewhat comfortable wrenching on your own I would start there to save some $$, otherwise what @bmwpowere36m3 said is all that matters. You and your significant other need to decide which route to go and how best to go about it.

Good Luck!

Sorry about your misfortune, that does suck when you're that close. It seems to me no matter what you do in regards to the truck, whether it being the same truck and you choose to fix it up or get a different used one, you should have at least 2k set aside for emergency repairs to major components in case it breaks down in the future so that you don't find yourself in another fix like this again. I suggest (if you absolutely have to have a bike of some kind) either fix the truck or get a used one that's running well (but remember, you may be buying someone else's troubles if you don't spot them and you already know what yours are with the truck you have) and keeping 2k in the bank and then get a used bike with what's left. If it's the thrill of biking you want badly you can get it from a good, used bike. Good luck! 
Just curious, why so much in repairs all at once? Transmission go out? Engine? Both? 

Not sure if it will cost a lot to fix it but with all that is going on with it, I don't feel the need to dump money into a 10 year old vehicle. Like I said before it is smoking blue smoke so to me it is burning oil and I checked the oil yesterday and had to ad oil. The next thing I will need is tires. I have said before I don't think I want to dump money into a vehicle I have had for 10 years. I am thankful it has lasted and done so good this long.

Oh, I must've missed the blue smoke thingy. Blue smoke is usually a good indication you have a cracked head and water is getting into the oil. I wouldn't want to muck with it either. Good luck whatever you choose to do.

Beemer

Who knows it might work out for the best. A few years ago I was all set to buy a KTM 690 smc but a few random things popped up costing me my bike money for a bit. Ended up with a few other bikes instead, and happy I didn't end up with the KTM.

Maybe it'll be the same for you.

• Global Moderator
Oh, I must've missed the blue smoke thingy. Blue smoke is usually a good indication you have a cracked head and water is getting into the oil. I wouldn't want to muck with it either. Good luck whatever you choose to do.
Blue smoke is excess fuel in the combustion chamber
water would be white smoke
water getting in the oil would cause the engine to increase/richen mixture but not enough to cause smoke... thats usually taken care of by the cat

Does the truck only blow smoke under heavy accel?
If so... rings or valve stem seals are the most likely of culprits

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

bmwpowere36m3

Blue smoke is excess fuel in the combustion chamber water would be white smoke
water getting in the oil would cause the engine to increase/richen mixture but not enough to cause smoke... thats usually taken care of by the cat

???
Blue smoke is usually burnt oil, white smoke is either condensation or coolant, black smoke is unburt fuel (i.e., RICH).  Blue smoke can be as simple as overfilled oil, bad PVC or more significant as rings and valve stem seals.
How does coolant getting into oil cause the engine to run richer?
The OP has a few issues and it seems from a lack of periodic maintenance.

bmwpowere36m3

OP,

Are you capable of any of the repair you mentioned... such as P/S rack and pump, water pump, etc...? Or do you have to pay someone to do it?

The whining your hearing might be a bad P/S pump, since you mention the rack leaking... it might have run low or dry and damaged the pump. Water pump, its it dripping coolant thru the weep hole? A truck worth 5k in good shape, is not worth putting 5k to get it their.

As far as blue smoke, is it under acceleration, deceleration, when you first start the engine, etc..? I'd start with basics, engine oil level, replace the PCV if it has one (cheap). Open the oil filler cap while the engine is running, do you feel a lot of blow-by? Next steps would be compression and/or leak-down tests.

???
Blue smoke is usually burnt oil, white smoke is either condensation or coolant, black smoke is unburt fuel (i.e., RICH).  Blue smoke can be as simple as overfilled oil, bad PVC or more significant as rings and valve stem seals.

Thank you! I stand corrected, it's been awhile and in a rush I confused the two. It's white smoke for coolant in the oil and the oil may look milky. I accidentally put too much oil in a car once and it did blow blue smoke.

Beemer

bmwpowere36m3

???

Thank you! I stand corrected, it's been awhile and in a rush I confused the two. It's white smoke for coolant in the oil and the oil may look milky. I accidentally put too much oil in a car once and it did blow blue smoke.
Coolant doesn't necessarily have to be in the oil for it to be burnt... could be a bad HG or cracked head/block (coolant directly burnt thru combustion chamber).  Coolant in oil (or oil in coolant) is usually a sign of a bad HG (nearby oil and coolant passages thru gasket compromised).  However it depends... for example Mercedes combines the transmission cooler in the radiator (its separated), however if it fails you'll get reddish oil in your coolant.

I skimmed through and did not really see this mentioned but is your truck a work vehicle or is there a major need for a truck specifically? I ask because if your spouse has a car that's 4 months old that takes care of family outings and such unless you have 6+ people for one vehicle. Meaning logically there is no need for another truck unless it's for work or you need one to get home in snow or something similar. You could get the bike and save for another truck later on but as many have mentioned talk to your SO about it first that will determine the next steps.

The issues mentioned for a 10 year old car seem to be the start of more compounding issues so it's a tricky situation. However if you did go the bike route you could save money over time and fix your truck it might take a few months but the bike would get you around while you work on the truck or look for another vehicle.

Coolant doesn't necessarily have to be in the oil for it to be burnt... could be a bad HG or cracked head/block (coolant directly burnt thru combustion chamber).  Coolant in oil (or oil in coolant) is usually a sign of a bad HG (nearby oil and coolant passages thru gasket compromised).  However it depends... for example Mercedes combines the transmission cooler in the radiator (its separated), however if it fails you'll get reddish oil in your coolant.

^ He's right, coolant in the oil is more often due to a bad gasket. My brother had a real bad cracked head in a van once and it was blowing clouds of white smoke but it's rare for that to be the cause of white smoke.

Beemer

Well the truck is my truck for me and my family, not a work truck. My wife has a new car (4 months old). My truck on the other hand smoke's when I start it and smoke's when I give it gas, but also smoke's when I let off the gas as well. Yes the rack and pinion underneath is busted so I am loosing fluid on both sides. Yes I have to add power steering fluid and it will quit whining. I drove it today and the engine was very rough at idle and it hesitated at take off. Now I am getting real worried. I think it is going to die on me.

• 3 months later...

Well I am bring up an old subject. To make a long story short got my truck fixed and picked up my brand new FZ-07 today. I am so happy.

• Global Moderator

???

Realized i never responded to this....
Water/coolant and oil mixture creates increased oil level causing increased drag on rotating components(oil pump and crank mainly) and increased wear from lack of peoper lubrication
Hence engine controller tries to compensate by richenining fuel mixture

Well I am bring up an old subject. To make a long story short got my truck fixed and picked up my brand new FZ-07 today. I am so happy.

Gratz to the OP
As has been stated many many times
Pics or it didnt happen

On a side note... what ended up being the issue with the truck?

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

Archived