The MT-07 Forum

Brake Relocation

fxdbisam

I've seen several posts about relocating the rear brake reservoir.
I'm eating to do it too but have a question... In moving it to the shock mount, does the excess heat cause any problems? Fluid expansion? Brakes grabbing?

• Global Moderator

Does the shock get hot or are you concerned about it being closer to the exhaust? As long as it is mounted to the chassis and not the swing arm I would be surprised if there was an issue. I am going to have to check my shock temperature after my next ride.

bmwpowere36m3

On my dirt bike the shock/reservior gets HOT... but it also works way harder than a street bike/shock should.

I'm assuming the OP has an aftermarket shock with external reservior... go for a ride and feel it. On my dirt bike I can't put a finger on for more than a sec. I'd imagine it gets in the 300*+ range.

• Premium Member

I moved it to the rear shock mount on the backside of the engine... I have not noticed any ill effects, I know brake fluid starts to boil around 460°f ...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

I really didn't think about shock temps, I was referring to the engine temp affecting the fluid. I mean fluids get hot and they expand. Wouldn't that cause an issue?

Reason to move: I have absolutely no need for passenger pegs. They're just wasted weight.

• Premium Member

The brake fluid in the reservoir will never see the temps the fluid in the caliper sees. It's a non-issue to move it to the shock mount.

- Andy

Who uses the rear brake?!
Anyone who has taken a motorcycle safety course and realizes that you are wasting weight and brake force if you don't use the rear brake... 
Unless sarcasm. Then I'll shut-up.

As for relocation of brake, engine shouldn't get a whole lot hotter than 100*C, and the heat should be fairly low by the time it hits the reservoir. If not a bracket to put a stand-off for the reservoir should keep the heat down. If that doesn't make you happy than you can always build a bracket to put where the pax pegs mount. I plan on doing the last option whenever I get around to it.

howlinhoss

Haha calm down guys. Just messing. The relocation to the shock shouldn't be an issue.

But actually at the track I rarely use the rear brake. On the streets definitely. In traffic it is a must.

bmwpowere36m3

Rear pegs don't weigh much... but their a convienant lift/support point when doing rear suspension work.

Really appreciate the feed back guys. Looks like I'm gonna be relocating it very soon. I don't need the passenger pegs so I wanna clean it up.

Archived