The MT-07 Forum

Valves loud

liami

Does anyone else notice their valves being quite loud? I can adjust the valves on my own if need be, I was just wondering if anybody knew about the loud valves being normal for the FZ specs or if mine are quite tight. I have 240 miles on my bike so far. Should I go ahead and adjust the valves when I do my 600 mile service?

Guest Ralph

Mine sounded a bit noisy when new but have settled down as the miles mount, now at 9000 miles,
the valves are not booked for service till 24000 miles maybe they set them a little towards
the loose end when new as they know they will tighten up a touch as miles mount. personally
I would not touch them slightly loose is better than slightly tight, and they are likely
to settle like mine did after a few thousand miles.

bmwpowere36m3

Noisy valves are good valves :) Its all relative, but what do you consider loud? The FZ-07 is relatively quiet bike, so valve noise is more apparent. However every motorcycle I've owned, has had valve tick (some louder than others). Usually noisy valves are good, it's when they get quiet its a problem (need adjustment, too tight, no clearance).

Mine made a little noise within the first thousand miles and it seems they've quieted down a hair but I still hear them. As others have said, it's normal (and good) to hear that. Now if we were talking about a Harley, a Suzi, Kawi or Honda I would say take it to the junk yard.  ;)

Beemer

• Global Moderator

It could also be the fuel injectors that you're hearing

Due to the location of valves and injectors and the the hollow spaces between the rank and the plastic panels... the 'ticking' is amplified slightly and more notable over the stock exhaust

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

• Premium Member

There was an audible clacking for the first few thousand miles on my bike.

20k miles later and it has since chilled out. I can hear them still, but I have to really tune in to separate it from all the other road noise. Whereas before it was easily identifiable.

I'll be checking the valve clearances in a few days when my plugs come in the post since I'm coming up on that service interval soon.

Personally, I think you're hearing typical valve chatter, but you can check the clearance for peace of mind.

Everything went braap.

Yea, I know louder, clicking valves are better than quieter, melting valves, I just wanted to check with you guys and make sure mine wasn't excessive. I thought maybe it was probably cuz of the quiet exhaust and everything that makes the little things seem louder, so that seems solved. As for changing the exhaust, I wanted to keep everything stock. It's probably all I'd do on new bikes. At least for maybe 10,000 miles. I took off the front fork reflectors because they got in the way of me servicing brakes and those weren't good looking but I kept those for resale much much later. I clear plastidipped the blue fender accents and the silver of my fairings just to keep them from getting scratched, chipped, or excessively messy. The only other thing I'm doing is adding frame sliders and fork sliders, front and rear. I won't change turn signals, switch to fender eliminator, or replace the exhaust. I like everything as is

Archived