The MT-07 Forum

From an FZ-07 to an XSR900

raceblue

Hello All. After a year and a half of owning the FZ-07 (raceblue @ FZ-07.org), I traded it in for the XRS900 60th Anniversary edition. I rode the bike home earlier this week on a rainy day and I couldn't be happier. The XRS900 (X9) rides so smoothly! I had no complaints about the FZ-07 except for the cheap plastic parts, but the X9 is on a totally different level. 
For my first ride, I was advised by the dealer to ride in "B" mode at first, but after scrolling through the modes, I was as comfortable in "A" mode. What made me trade my FZ-07 in for this the X9 was sitting on one at the dealership. The bike just felt like it wanted to go home with me. This was last Wednesday, and by Monday I picked up my very own Anniversary edition.

After riding the bike home, I noticed that plastic center tank cover was starting to scratch already. This sent me on the hunt for a quick solution. I stopped by a vinyl wrap shop and they quoted me $50 to wrap the center tank cover. I also looked online and I considered the Techspec tank pads on Revzilla, but the size I wanted was sold out. My next plan was to visit a local motorcycle shop.

I ended up at Union Garage in Brooklyn (Union Garage NYC | Quality Motorcycle Gear) and was blown away by all the nice gear that they carried. It was the best motorcycle gear shop I've been in and the people were really nice. Union Garage focuses on cafe racer style gear, so they didn't have a tank pad. I ended up picking up a pair of Biltwell goggles to match my Bell Rogue helmet. Even though I saw the goggles for $25 on eBay, I ended up paying $35 plus tax because I like supporting local businesses.

Upon leaving Union Garage, I ran into a new Raven FZ-07 owner and shared some advice about the bike. The next day, today, I went to local motorcycle dealer and looked for a tank pad. They only had a few that were designed for sport bikes and the guy at the shop told me that they will leave sticky residue on the tank. The next stop was Auto Zone. I didn't know exact what I was looking for, plastidip, racing stripes,??? I ended up buying a sheet of flat black 3M vinyl wrap and a sticker remover kit.

I went home and use a heat gun and the sticker remover on the warning sticker and then the "60th Anniversary" sticker and I wrapped the plastic middle tank cover.
I liked the way that the matte black looked on the bike because it flowed with the matte look of the seat. I've never used vinyl wrap before so the job didn't come out perfect.
897b59a688a585f2524fb6bc0f3b57bd.jpg

I wanted to try something else, so I cut the sides of the vinyl wrap off and reattached the "60th anniversary" sticker in a different location with 3M tape.

50e4f0a7c3e8bda317733a7bd7668645.jpg

That's it for today, but I want to finish the tank with some sort of pin stipe on the edges of the vinyl wrap to tighten it up. Maybe a white line, maybe black, maybe checkered, maybe reflective???

After finishing reinstalling the tank covers, I went for a ride. Wow the XSR900 is an amazing bike. I wouldn't be surprised if it wins Bike of the Year in some of the magazines. My journey with this bike is just beginning.

.... To be continued

44da21027cd64d73085ec84fd5ebbaa6.jpg

P.S.
The only thing that bothers me about the 60th anniversary yellow is that it attracts little flying insects. I first noticed it outside the dealership and now whenever the bike is uncovered. I might have to get the brushed aluminum side panels and use the yellow ones in the fall and winter, or just wait until the blue or another color becomes available later this year or next year....

The FZ-07 will leave lasting memories! I'll still recommend the FZ-07 as the best bike for the $$$ around. .... Also, this forum is one of the best forums that I have read/enjoyed.

Simbadc650

post more pictures!!! always welcome, who cares what bike more input is better than dead input!

Congrats @raceblue! I'm jealous at you tall(er) people. Last April I was supposed to come home with an XSR900 as well. But alas, it turned out the seat height was way too high for my 28" inseam. Although I bought a different bike (in a more sportier direction), I still have a hankering for a retro styled bike but one that I can fit. I think I will eventually end up with (in about 2 years- because I don't think my wife will appreciate me buying another new bike until at least 2 year passes) an R Nine T to fill that void in me. But everytime I see the XSR900, I can't help but feel a little sadness in what should've been a bike in my stable. *sigh*

I visit here at least once a week.  Got any questions, ask and I will answer!

Congrats @raceblue! I'm jealous at you tall(er) people. Last April I was supposed to come home with an XSR900 as well. But alas, it turned out the seat height was way too high for my 28" inseam. Although I bought a different bike (in a more sportier direction), I still have a hankering for a retro styled bike but one that I can fit. I think I will eventually end up with (in about 2 years- because I don't think my wife will appreciate me buying another new bike until at least 2 year passes) an R Nine T to fill that void in me. But everytime I see the XSR900, I can't help but feel a little sadness in what should've been a bike in my stable. *sigh*

The R Nine T is beautiful bike... I was leaning towards a Ducati Scrambler last year, but I was still enjoying the FZ-07 too much to trade it.

• Premium Member

Beautiful bike! I love the retro yammie colors. I had that color scheme on a DT400 I owned back in the early 80s that I loved it.

Why can't left turners see us?

The retro yellow is amazing! Congratulations!

Beautiful bike! I love the retro yammie colors. I had that color scheme on a DT400 I owned back in the early 80s that I loved it.

Thanks! I love the colors too. I'm an 80's baby so I love retro 80's / late 70's style.

• 2 weeks later...

So now that you switched do you ever find yourself missing your FZ-07? Also that is a beautiful bike, wish that was a style available when I got my FZ-07, on second thought it probably good it wasn't, it probably would've been too much bike for me.

• Premium Member
panchobullet

That yellow edition is so dang sexy!... How is she treating you thus far? Are you missing the 07 at all? Congrats for your new ride!

- Pancho

You've never seen me cause I'm too damn fast!

So now that you switched do you ever find yourself missing your FZ-07? Also that is a beautiful bike, wish that was a style available when I got my FZ-07, on second thought it probably good it wasn't, it probably would've been too much bike for me.

I honestly wish I had the extra cash to not have to sell the FZ-07 to buy the XSR900. I treated my FZ-07 really well, and was planning on keeping her forever. I've been enjoying the XSR900 so much that I haven't had time to miss the FZ-07.

I did a comparison of the XSR900 vs. FZ-07 on my blog.

That yellow edition is so dang sexy!... How is she treating you thus far? Are you missing the 07 at all? Congrats for your new ride! 
- Pancho

Thanks @panchobullet. One of my neighbors said the same exact thing to me the other day. He said, "That bike is sexy!" She's been treating me great and doesn't like it if a day goes by and I don't ride her. As much as I loved my FZ-07, haven't had time to miss her because the XSR900 has been so much fun.

I just did a detailed comparison of the XSR900 vs. FZ-07 on my blog.

I've been eyeing the XSR900 since they announced it, looks amazing. Had it been available when I bought my FZ-07, I might be riding one

I've been eyeing the XSR900 since they announced it, looks amazing. Had it been available when I bought my FZ-07, I might be riding one

I've been eyeing it since Rossi rode it out on stage too. It was a tough decision to get rid of my FZ-07 because I was just getting started on that bike. My interest rate and insurance was half as much with the XSR900, so I just went with it. I have no regrets.

Wow congrats op! I'm curious about how the trade went? I've had my red 07 for about a year and half..still love it too. But that triple sound is awsome along with abs and tc is pretty cool.

Wow congrats op! I'm curious about how the trade went? I've had my red 07 for about a year and half..still love it too. But that triple sound is awsome along with abs and tc is pretty cool.

With my trade I ended up paying $10800 OTD, so I didn't do bad. I would have done better selling it myself, but I would have to payoff the loan first. The only good thing about the trade is that the cost of the trade is deducted from the new bike, and the difference is taxed. That cut the tax by about half ($400). If you can, sell it yourself, then negotiate the price of a new bike without the trade in.

Archived