The MT-07 Forum

Old man new bike?

billgordon

billgordon

Hi, I'm new to this forum so Hello and best wishes to everyone!
you may think I'm mad but at 68years old I am considering buying a new motorcycle and have narrowed it down to an FZ 07 or an FZ 09. Many years ago I owned an R1 and later a GSXR 1000K2, so I have some experience in driving larger bikes albeit 12 years ago.
I can't make my mind up between the 09 and 07, I don't need and cannot use the power of a litre bike, I am attracted to the 07 but am unsure if 75hp would be enough for occasional motorway use, I would mainly be driving the twisties.
Here in the UK the difference in price between the two bikes is much larger than it is in the US about £1700 and insurance is 65% more, however I would hate to buy the wrong bike as I intend this to be a final purchase and a keeper. Is 75hp enough or would I be better with 115hp to be on the safe side. I am 160lbs without gear and 5'8'' in height, I do not intend to go down the route of having to change the suspension.
Your thoughts and advice are most welcome.

• Premium Member

Welcome to the club! Well soon we hope! :-) I personally think you will be absolutely fine with the 07. I would think your final decision would be sitting on both and seeing how light the 07 is for the type of riding you are describing. I have no issues on the highway and have 30 lbs on you!

Guest Ralph

I am 67 200lb and live in the UK the bike is like a 250 but with double the power,
it pulls well from low revs and is more than capable of M way travel I've been
up Scotland twice on mine no problems I have the tall PowerBronze Screen, you
are in the UK so you wont have a problem finding a test ride, try both.

Tyler Jane

The 70hp from the 700cc twin is more than enough to ride safely on the highway. If you drop a gear and open the throttle, you'll be flying past whatever obstacles you need to, especially if you're only 160lbs. And at 5'8", the 07 should fit you really well.

That being said, if speed is truly your priority, you'll probably regret not getting the 09 while you have the chance.

billgordon

Thanks for your quick replies, Ralph, did you try out the 09, if so what made you choose the 07.

designslucid
The 70hp from the 700cc twin is more than enough to ride safely on the highway. If you drop a gear and open the throttle, you'll be flying past whatever obstacles you need to, especially if you're only 160lbs. And at 5'8", the 07 should fit you really well. 
That being said, if speed is truly your priority, you'll probably regret not getting the 09 while you have the chance.

Most likely won't even need to drop a gear at highway/interstate pace. 6th pulls just fine for me. Went from 60 to 75 without thinking about it. Been from 85 to 97 without batting an eye.

Guest Ralph

No never had any interest in the 09 the 07 does everything I need
and uses a lot less fuel, when I was buying everyone was moaning
about the 09's jerky fueling so that put me off as well, best
thing is to try them both as you may think differently, only
thing that I don't like on the 07 is the seat otherwise it's
the best value cost to performance you are likely to get.
The bike feels like a V twin it has that lazy feel not seeming
to rev hard even when it's well above legal limits mines now
at 9000 miles well pleased with it.
It's lighter at 169 ish KG than most bikes so 70 bhp goes a
long way, I'm near Fleetwood if your anywhere near Raceways
there as demo bike both 09 and 07.

billgordon

Thanks Ralph, I'm in Scotland, the dealers are non existent in the Glasgow area, so will try further afield.

You have nothing to worry about on the motorway with the MT07. If you frequently would stay around 130kmh, you'll be ok. If its normal to go 160kmh out there, maybe then you can look towards an MT09. I have no problem pulling quickly from 100 to 130 on 6th gear.

Engaging with people that have personality disorders on a message board is like arguing with a rock.

billgordon

THANKS AGAIN for your thoughts, I really want roll on power (mid range torque). The top end acceleration and top speed of litre bikes was too much for me and not necessary, basically, I am looking for plenty of power and torque up to at least 100mph, I am looking for a little extra in the envelope, ie acceleration at the top end should I need it, I really want enough power to get me out of trouble if need be and give ample passing power when needed. Does the FZ 07 have much drive above 100mph or does it run out of puff around 100+ mph?
I had a 1998 Fazer, 95hp @45 ft lbs torque, I felt this lacked passing power and the suspension and handling was poor, is the FZ 07 a big improvement on this bike?

Guest 2wheeler

My $0.02 worth of thought is this.... OMG, ALL OF YOUR REQUIREMENTS ARE ANSWERED!

I am 58, and have been mostly riding 2-stroke dirt bikes for the last 15 years (mid-life crisis), and I can say that the FZ-07 has more than enough grunt to get you out of any situation! Your bigger problem will be accidentally wheelieing it in the first two gears. 4th gear is the do everything gear as its good from the 30s through the 80s. 5th has a ton of punch if you crack it at 70, and even 6th has decent pull at highway speeds.

Regarding 100MPH, what the hell.... I heard it best said on this forum that the 07 is a 0-100MPH bike, and if you want anything faster, go full sport bike - I concur! The FZ-07 will do anything you want, be it sport riding, cruising, commuting, and even touring. We have a lady biker on the forum that took hers from California to Key West.

Like everyone else said, get a test ride if you can. I bought mine based on the reviews and youtube. With all my research done, I went into my dealership, sat on the bike, and said, I'll take it

Nuf said

billgordon

Thanks 2wheeler, your input is pushing me towards the FZ07, at my age 100mph is more than enough, but torque is only 5ft lbs more than my previous 1998 Fazer 600 that I thought lacked torque for overtaking, it's suspension was soft and felt like a pogo between the back and front ends. Have things improved? How do you assess the suspension as I don't want to upgrade if possible. The light weight price and fuel consumption are very attractive to me as an old man.

Up a 6% grade at 75 MPH I was bothered a lot more by the wind than by any need to downshift from 6th gear, even for passing.

Put it this way. I ride freeway all the time and rarely even use 6th gear. This little bike is a perfect allarounder. I was between the 09 and the 07 and I do not regret my decision.

Guest 2wheeler
 but torque is only 5ft lbs more than my previous 1998 Fazer 600 that I thought lacked torque for overtaking
World of difference between the torque put out by a two cylinder versus a four cylinder motor, and especially the FZ motor.  
Having owned 2 Yamaha Seca 750s which are air-cooled four cylinder bikes with basically the same power/weight ratio and 1/4 mile times as the FZ-07, I can say that the power deliveries are night and day different. The Seca is all about the upper rpm range with little down low, and the FZ-07 is all low and mid-range - plus being much more linear.

If you can't find a shop that will allow you to test ride the bike, find somebody selling a used one to get a ride. You can read and we can write, but riding is believing!

5th pulls up to 100 very quickly for me. If you got either bike I would recommend having the ecu reflashed. If you do that you will definitely not be disappointed in the torque, even a little past 100.

• Premium Member

If you cruise around at 100 mph often, you're going to feel like a sail on a mast. Some users reported good results from some of the various windscreens.

Everything went braap.

• Premium Member
panchobullet

Welcome to the forum and to the FZ-0X world!... I tried both and nobody can deny the power of the 09 but honestly the 07 wont disappoint you at all. I've put mine @125mph in 5th gear without a problem and the bike dont even complain when you pull her from 100+mph up. It delivers power all the way at any gear & any speed and keep pulling up until you are out of RPM's.

Also, from a totally personal view I like the 07 more than the 09 visually so it wasn't too hard for me to choose between them. Then over that add the 07 was shipper, insurance too and I could use the money difference to get some aftermarket parts for the 07 so it was a win/win deal for me.

But finally it all reduce to your personal feeling/taste... So I'd really encourage you to try them both if you have a chance. Either way, you will be really happy!

- Pancho

You've never seen me cause I'm too damn fast!

• Premium Member
michaelcly

From one old man to another... I'm 68 and just started riding again after 10 years. I got an FT 07 and I can say the torque will surprise you. Up to 80-90 mph, I feel like this bike is just super. It seems like a whole lot of punch from only 678cc. You will be pleased with the weight for moving it (not under power). It's geezer friendly that way. I had a Yamaha 650 maxim once upon a time and I felt the same way as you when it comes to power north of 90mph. Some of the specs look similar, but believe me, they behave very different—the torque is more "Buell" like. 

Your old butt won't like the stock seat. Mine was only good for a couple hours. I got a Yamaha comfy seat on Ebay for $219. It makes a difference, but not as much as I thought it would. You will want to to something there.

You may find the controls a little touchy at first. The torque, engine braking, fueling and clutch took me a couple weeks to get used to. But now, I can ride it smoothly and put around like a 68 yr old or kick it in the tail and get that old thrill. It may be different for me because mine already had a Yoshi exhaust, fuel controller, shorty levers and a fender eliminator.

Unless you have a reason to to be real quiet, you won't like the stock exhaust. I have a Yoshimura with baffle in, and it sounds wicked. 

To your comment on acceleration from 100mph, You may be disappointed. past 100, I could tell it was a smaller CC bike. It felt light and like it was working hard. It will do the high speeds, but not like a bigger heavier bike. Fortunately, I don't care to be north of 100mph.

All said, I would rather have an 07 tricked out with a better sounding exhaust, seat upgrade and a madstad windshield than an 09. (look under windscreens, I reviewed it there). I ride it as naked in town and to work, but with the windshield on the open road. It's a 20 second switch. Keep in mind, I've never been on a FZ 09. 

2015 FZ07; Yoshimura Exhaust; Yoshimura Fender Eliminator; Shorty levers; Bazzaz EFC, frame sliders, LED signals, Yamaha Comfy Seat, Madstad Windshield.

I rode many fast bikes in my time, and enjoyed everyone of them, but now, I am not looking forward for another speeding ticket, and my needs are a bit different. Knowing those, here is what I discovered with the FZ07/MT07 :
Riding at the speed limit, and occasionally a bit over, is what most riders will do, well, this can be done with the 07.
Riding with liter bike torque between your legs is what most of us are looking for, this can be done with the 07.
Being able to pass cars, even easily done at highway speed, this can be done with the 07.
Riding 2 ups (pillion for you guys), with NO lost of power, this can be done with the 07.
Fantastic gas mileage (doable 60mpg (US)), this can be done with the 07.
For those daredevils, wellies on 1st, 2nd and 3rd, this can be done with the 07.
Great price to value to insurance, this can be done with the 07.
For commuting, cruising, canyon carving, city hooliganing, this can be done with the 07.
This bike is SO good for too many occasions ........ BUT its got a couple of issues :
Soft suspensions and wrong horn button location.
If you can live with those little negatives, you will absolutely enjoy the FZ07.

billgordon

Thanks everyone for your studied advice, even withought Riding the FZ09 I have been convinced that the 07 will deliver all that I could wish for and need!
Many thanks for taking the time to help me decide.

One last question, how is the suspension? Do I really need to upgrade it as many of the reviews suggest? Or are they being picky and looking at track riding rather than enthusiastic road riding? How are the brakes?

Guest Ralph

People moan about the suspension to be honest I think the front is fine,
the rear is a bit under sprung and damped, I have mine on the highest but
one setting springwise but in all honesty it likes the slow in acsellerate
round type of riding and if you ride like that it is well up to the task.
It's the first bike I have had for a very long time and a lot of bikes
were I cant think of anything I would want to swap it for.
There is no dubt that it's the best bike for the price you will
find it punches way above it's weight.

Archived