The MT-07 Forum

Chain Too Tight!!!

douchebaggabbana

douchebaggabbana

Okay hi all! I have tried to find an answer on the web and have yet to find it so I am coming to you!
The other day my brother came to me and said that my chain was too loose and I needed to tighten it. So he gave me the tools, and the correct measurement to what the chain needed to be at and I went into the garage the next day and went to fix it. Now long story short I tightened the chain way too much  .20 -.40, So How does one loosen the chain on the Fz07?? Thank you!!!

Guest Ralph

Exactly the opposite to what you did to tighten it but you will have to
push the wheel forward you only have to move it a tiny amount to make
quite a difference.

Loosen up the axle nut, back off of the chain adjusters, then to get the rear axle to move forward and take the slack out of the adjusters, roll the bike backwards then press the rear brake to stop. Tighten the axle nut

I usually just put a boot to it from behind.
lol! We must be cave men cause that's how I do it! 

Beemer

• Global Moderator
I usually just put a boot to it from behind.
That is the 'technicians' way to do things is it not?

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

That is the 'technicians' way to do things is it not?
I can't say I've heard that but since it would seem to be the quickest way I would have to agree.

Beemer

Just don't kick it so hard it goes rolling off the stand, lol.

My Aprilia's single sided swinger has the most complicated eccentric hub you'll never want to take apart, but it sure does make adjusting a chain or removing the wheel easy - as for putting the wheel back on, it should be just the reverse, but can't tell you how many wheels have been ruined by "technicians" with opposed thumbs but boots for brains. 

• Global Moderator
My Aprilia's single sided swinger has the most complicated eccentric hub you'll never want to take apart, but it sure does make adjusting a chain or removing the wheel easy - as for putting the wheel back on, it should be just the reverse, but can't tell you how many wheels have been ruined by "technicians" with opposed thumbs but boots for brains. 

Technicians and mechanics are two different breeds

Mechanics are brute force and no common sense
technicians are finesse and the occasional dumbfounded expression

They wrongly label mechanics as "tecnicians" far too often

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

Technicians and mechanics are two different breeds 
Mechanics are brute force and no common sense
technicians are finesse and the occasional dumbfounded expression

They wrongly label mechanics as "tecnicians" far too often
I stand corrected. My apologies. 
The mechanics at the dealerships that can't seem to get the axle's big drive pins mated with the wheel's 3 big holes are brutes alright. At over 600 bucks for that back wheel, it turns into an expensive mistake 

Loosen the axle so it is JUST loose enough to allow the adjuster assembly to slide forward.
Loosen the adjuster evenly both sides ( a ring spanner and do it in quarter turns using the spanner shaft as a gauge. ie 90 deg turn then the other side).
Get a couple of rags and push the top and bottom row of the chain towards each other. That puts more load on the axle than anything you can do from behind and won't knock the bike over. You gotta love the cosine of the included angle...It also moves BOTH side of the axle forward if you have loosened it so it moves under the load but won't just slide back.
Check the tension ( deflection)
Adjust as necessary in even increments both sides.
Tighten axle and RECHECK.
READJUST if necessary ( after reloosening axle. Not being funny it is a major cause of stripping adjusters)
Overtight chains can cause, at worst, destroyed countershaftand or sprocket carrier bearings and seals and consequent internals. A little looser is better than tighter.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

bmwpowere36m3

Prior to tightening the axle nut, insert a screwdriver or wrench in between the chain the rear sprocket, rotate the wheel to "grab" it... it'll pull the wheel forward tight against the chain adjuster.
24239-achtung-noobs-your-new-pitbike-you-set-up-tips15.jpg

markstertt

I decided to check my chain tension at the swing arms tightest position with the axle, swing arm pivot and C/S sprocket centers all aligned, to do this I had to raise the rear wheel off the ground and remove the shock and then place pieces of wood under the rear tire to align all 3 centers. After doing this, I found that the chain was very tight in this position so I backed off the adjusters until I was comfortable with the chain having a little slack, not much but not tight. I then installed the shock and with the wheel off the ground still, I checked the chain slack tension per the shop manual and was right in the middle of the range (2.01"-2.2") at 2.1" and yes, the chain definitely feels loose at this setting but I now know that it won't be to tight when loaded.

I also turned up some small pointy nosed inserts to push into the swing arm pivot and rear axle to measure between and it would appear, that on my bike at least, the factory swing arm index marks are darn close and useable, at least on this bike.

I hope this helps, maybe your chain was ok to start with...Mark

bmwpowere36m3

If you push up on the chain near the back of the chain slider it should barely touch... on side stand and properly adjusted.

markstertt
If you push up on the chain near the back of the chain slider it should barely touch... on side stand and properly adjusted.
Yep, that's what I found with swing arm in full droop, but be aware that if you install a longer shock or raise the rear with a link then the chain will be even looser at full swing arm droop so the factory recommended specs would leave you with to tight of a chain when loaded. A little experimentation would give you a new unloaded chain slack spec to go by. 

Archived