The MT-07 Forum

On the Natchez Trace in search of "Heavenly Fried Chicken"

twowheeladdict

twowheeladdict

Not on the FZ-07, but thought others might be interested in the ride report.
Last Friday I was organizing some maps and flyers from places I have visited and came across a flyer I had picked up a few years ago when a buddy and I rode the Natchez Trace from south to north.

The flyer was for "Heavenly Fried Chicken" prepared by Arthur Davis at "The Old Country Store Restaurant" in Lorman, Mississippi. When you look at all the food and restaurant reviews, Arthur Davis has almost full stars. He has also been featured on the Food Network on one of Alton Brown's shows.

I decided to pack up the bike and leave a day early for a work trip to the Gulf Coast. Ride the Natchez Trace from north to south and stop in for some heavenly fried chicken.

For those of you who don't know what the Natchez Trace is, it is a national roadway connecting Natchez, MS to Nashville, TN. The roadway is 444 miles of smooth pavement with limited access, no commercial traffic, and no stops during the entire length. You can find more information here. Natchez Trace Bed and Breakfast Reservation Service | NatchezTraceTravel.com

More information about "The Old Country Store Restaurant".
The Old Country Store Restaurant - Lorman, Mississippi | NatchezTraceTravel.com

I only had my smartphone with me, and was on a mission, but managed to capture a few photos during the ride.

412542244.jpg

There is very little traffic on the Trace with the exception of passing by Jackson and Tupelo, MS. Locals use the road as a shortcut to other roads, but still, no commercial traffic.

One section passes by a large reservoir, and there are a lot of stretches where the trees almost form a roof above the roadway.

412542245.jpg

412542246.jpg

412542253.jpg

The southern starting point of the Natchez Trace is in Natchez, MS.

412542252.jpg

The flyer I had for "The Old Country Store Restaurant" said that they were open to 9:00PM on Saturdays. My route and plan had me arriving at 7:00 PM after riding about 500 miles.

When I arrived I saw that the neon 'open' sign was on, but there was only one vehicle in the parking lot.

412542254.jpg

I parked my bike, too a photo and was ready to enjoy a nice meal. Got to the door and it was locked. :eek: There were new hours posted, and they now are open from 10:00AM-6:00PM on Friday and Saturday.

I rode on into Natchez to get a room and had to settle for a subway sandwich next door to the hotel. :sucks:

Now I had to decide if I was going to hang around town and ride back to Lorman for "heavenly fried chicken", or ride the 400 miles to my work location in Florida before the heat of the day.

After consulting with some locals, and researching the internet reviews, I decided that I came this far for some "heavenly fried chicken", I might as well follow it through. :)

2015 FZ-07

twowheeladdict

Sunday morning I killed some time by riding through the historic area of Natchez, riding down to the Mississippi River, and visiting the "Old South Trading Post" to see what souvenirs I might want to purchase.

412542247.jpg

The bridge to Louisiana in the background.

412542248.jpg

The "Old South Trading Post"

412542249.jpg

and the T-shirt to commemorate the ride.

412542250.jpg

412542251.jpg

Then I headed back to Lorman, MS for some "heavenly fried chicken". I got there right at 10:00AM hoping to leave by 11:00 and suffer 400 miles along the coast with a very full belly.

I walk in and true relaxed southern way, the young lady told me the buffet would be ready around 11:00. I am generally not a good waiter and debated on just heading on. Fortunately, I had my smartphone and there was a comfortable rocking chair in the lobby. I researched some routes while waiting, and around 10:30 she said the food was ready.

I gave the buffet a look over and snapped a couple photos before they brought everything out.

412542255.jpg

412542256.jpg

We are talking some fine southern cooking here. I came for chicken so this is what my first plate of food looked like.

412542257.jpg

Was it worth the wait? You bet it was! This was definitely "heavenly fried chicken"! I did mange to sample everything else on the buffet and washed it down with a large tumbler of sweet tea.

This was some of the best southern cooking I have experienced, and the turnip greens were by far the best I have ever eaten.

If you get a chance to tour the Natchez Trace, you need to make "The Old Country Store Restaurant" in Lorman, MS a must stop on the trip.

Also, if you make it to the northern end the Natchez Trace, the "Loveless Café" is a must stop as well. The Loveless Cafe, Real Southern Food

2015 FZ-07

• Global Moderator

Damn dude

Gratz on the 'hole in the wall' find
after 444miles i dont think i could eat such heavy food... but i am a foodie
i'll have to make this a stop on my next cross country trip

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

Archived