The MT-07 Forum

ticking noise against barricades?

trueman09

I got my fz roughly a month ago and I have noticed since day one a ticking noise almost sounds like a lifter tick when I'm riding beside a barricade or a solid wall. It's most noticeable around 3k rpm. Anyone else had this or noticed this?

Akra titanium no db killer, Vagabond rear fender eliminator, Cyclone LED headlight

• Premium Member

The stock exhaust is so quite you hear a lot more little noises... the ticking noises is more than likely valves or injectors ecohing in airbox....completely normal...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

twowheeladdict

You sure it is not chain noise? I would clean and lube up the chain real good and make sure it is adjusted and aligned. Then go ride the same route.

2015 FZ-07

Alright thanks everyone, I'll clean and lube up the chain and see if it makes and difference

Akra titanium no db killer, Vagabond rear fender eliminator, Cyclone LED headlight

Alright thanks everyone, I'll clean and lube up the chain and see if it makes and difference
It could be either. Can you here it idling at a stop light. or standing next to the bike? The chain does make some noise next to barricades, but the valves and/or injectors will too. They are noisy as f***. I hear ticking idling at a stop. I haven't take the time to check if it's valves or injectors. I suspect valves, but I have heard some really noisy injectors before.

I got my fz roughly a month ago and I have noticed since day one a ticking noise almost sounds like a lifter tick when I'm riding beside a barricade or a solid wall. It's most noticeable around 3k rpm. Anyone else had this or noticed this?
Sorry for the double post. Kinda lazy today :P If it's 3k, it's injector/valve, not chain. Chain will be dependent on vehicle speed and gear, not RPM. Valves/injectors are dependent on engine speed. So if you always hear it in the same RPM range, it's coming from the engine, not the chain.

That's kinda what i thought it sounded like. I was at the dealer and had one of their techs listen to it and he said it was nothing abnormal for this bike. Maybe its just me nit picking lol

• 5 weeks later...

I have the same ticking. I don't hear it at idle, and it also is loudest sounding around 3k rpm. I rode it down the street without a helmet and it was clearly coming from my rear axle area. My guess is it's the chain. I adjusted and cleaned it but the noise is still kinda there which makes me think it's a normal noise for the bike considering I had <200 miles when I first noticed it.

well, at least you don't have to worry about it being lifters - as there are none in a motor like this.

This motor is silly quiet compared to my Rotax. You'd be worried sick.

• Global Moderator

I have the same ticking. I don't hear it at idle, and it also is loudest sounding around 3k rpm. I rode it down the street without a helmet and it was clearly coming from my rear axle area. My guess is it's the chain. I adjusted and cleaned it but the noise is still kinda there which makes me think it's a normal noise for the bike considering I had <200 miles when I first noticed it.

The stock chain is rather noisy in and of.itself.... but coupled with the hollow swingarm and near silent stock exhaust... the chain noise almost doubles in volume

The injectors on my bike seem to be the main source of 'ticking'
its normal... quieted down a bit after the 15k mark... but not much

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

• 2 weeks later...

Same issue with mine, like said above, there is always a little bit of valvetrain noise, but that being said there is a bit of chain noise as well... I acidentally overtightened my chain being a little over zealous before a long trip, and it seems to have almost gone entirely. so there's that lol

Archived