The MT-07 Forum

Do I need to plug this tire?

mardi72

Doing a pre-ride check this afternoon I found what I thought was a nail in my rear tire, instead I found this little booger. It's about 5/16 of an inch in length. http://imgur.com/a/GIONb

Had my tire repair kit all ready to go but after pulling it out I did a 'spit' test and no air is leaking, could use some opinions from other riders on what they would do if this was their tire. About 1600 miles on the rubber so far and can't really afford a new tire at the moment.

If you aren't leaking air already then it likely won't get worse. I wouldn't patch it because at that level of tread you should have plenty of rubber left to protect something like that. Maybe make a note to replace the tires a little earlier than you normally would? I'm pretty cautious with my tires and I wouldn't even ride on a patched tire, but this wouldn't bother me. A patch would be less stable than leaving a small hole, I would assume. Always better to be safe than sorry though, so if you feel it is necessary then go for it. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable on tires can sound off. This is all just my personal opinion, good luck with your tire!

Tires can get little cuts that I routinely ignore. But that thing's closer to 5/8" long than 5/16". I pulled a really long, rusty nail out of a tire once w/o any loss of air. The tire was pretty dang new - I replaced it w/o giving it much thought cause I didn't want to have to think about it.

Did it go straight in or at an angle?

It's not the hole in the rubber tread that you should worry about, but how many cords in the carcass under the rubber that might have been damaged. Hard to predict what will happen if you continue using it - maybe nothing, maybe you'll hit a sharp edge and the tire will all of a sudden fail.

Can't tell you which way to go - but If you decide to ride with it, I would at least clean the hole as best possible and then fill it with something like shoe-goo (household goop, etc) to prevent dirt and water (even ozone) getting into the structure of the tire.

thanks for the replies, @rick the object went straight in. I ended up filling it the best I could with the rubber compound in the tire repair kit, rode about 150 miles today no problems. I'll keep an eye on it for sure and most likely upgrade to some pilot road 4's when finances allow.

I have a buddy who put a StopNGo plug into a "run flat" tire that no one recommends plugging. Worse yet, it was right where the tread meets the sidewall - no shop would repair it, even if it wasn't run flat. It's held just fine.

You could get lucky. I'd have a look at it after every ride - maybe even run your hand over the area - if it starts to look or feel weird - ditch it.

Guest ChicagoAJ

I picked up a nail in my old bike's front tire at 800 miles. Bike wasn't even 2 weeks old yet. No shop would go anywhere near it saying you should never ever patch a bike tire. It makes sense, it's not a car. You only have 2 tires compared to a car's 4. So I bought a new one and never thought twice about it.

I picked up a nail in my old bike's front tire at 800 miles. Bike wasn't even 2 weeks old yet. No shop would go anywhere near it saying you should never ever patch a bike tire. It makes sense, it's not a car. You only have 2 tires compared to a car's 4. So I bought a new one and never thought twice about it.
There'll be dissenting voices on this, but I agree. I'd patch to get home from wherever, but the tire would be done after that. Especially a front, but having a flat at speed is no fun regardless which end. Just not worth the risk, imo.

About 20 years ago I thought I would be smart and save money by buying some retread tires for my car. (derp!) The tread on one of them unraveled and the tire blew one day while doing 85 on the highway. I yelled, "SH*T and the girlfriend screamed BLAH!! I could've easily lost control it was so wobbly. I blew a rear tire on my 550 Vision while doing about 25 mph. The rear end whipped from left to right wildly (like I was doing power slides) and all I could do to keep the bike up was counter steer over and over (no brakes) until the bike came to a stop. How the f*** I kept that bike up was a miracle. It was like a Brahma bull trying to throw me off. I really recommend getting a new tire ASAP.

A good one ... one that won't unravel.  ;)

Beemer

• Premium Member

If there's no leak... you're fine! I've ran over many a' sharp things and can attest to that. Just have to make sure you had enough tread and you should be good!

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

twowheeladdict

I have plugged and finished a 1000 mile ride two up. Checked the air pressure at every stop.

I have patched from the inside and rode the tire until it was time to replace. Of course it all depends where the puncture is and how big.

Discovered a flat on my PR4 rear tire on the Triumph Trophy SE. It only has about 4000 miles on it. I need to replace the front, so I am going to buy a pair, but will patch this tire to put back on when the time comes.  Small nail in the center rain groove.  190/55 tires aren't cheap.

2015 FZ-07

One persons good experience with a puncture doesn't speak for all. Of course it may hold up just fine but who can say that it WILL? Don't take a chance and get a new tire. Punctured tires don't come from the factory for a good reason.

Beemer

• Premium Member
wickedtwister

With any tire you should always do what is called a plug patch. Its a patch on the inside to better seal carcass from internal moisture and hold air and a plug to seal from external moisture. This is the only way to properly seal the carcass from moisture and ensure proper air retention. I would replace motorcycle tires before I would ever patch one. To do it right you have to dismount anyways. Might as well change it.

• Premium Member

If I think it got in deep I would just finish it off and put in a plug. These tires are stiff walled so even on low pressure they will hold there shape well.

It not like the tire is going to explode it will just slowly leak out.

I will gladly take any ones new tire that has one small hole in it. Plugs work and a good vulcanizing plug is better than new IMO.

2015 FZ-07 2003 2014 GSXR 1000

• Global Moderator
With any tire you should always do what is called a plug patch. Its a patch on the inside to better seal carcass from internal moisture and hold air and a plug to seal from external moisture. This is the only way to properly seal the carcass from moisture and ensure proper air retention. I would replace motorcycle tires before I would ever patch one. To do it right you have to dismount anyways. Might as well change it.
Listen to the tire master

all hail polymer king :)

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

Archived