The MT-07 Forum

Installed M4 no I have smoke

birish21

I just finished my M4 install and when I went to go run the bike I noticed smoke coming from the right header where it connects to the M4.  Any idea what could be causing this?  It is clamped tightly.

AlbatrossCafe

A brand new exhaust will have a small amount of smoke come off of it at first as whatever coatings get on it during manufacture are burned off. My Akra Carbon gave off a small amount of smoke for the first 5 minutes or so that it ran and I thought I had a leak, but it turned out it was perfectly fine. Run it a bit and see if you still have the same problem after a few miles.

A brand new exhaust will have a small amount of smoke come off of it at first as whatever coatings get on it during manufacture are burned off. My Akra Carbon gave off a small amount of smoke for the first 5 minutes or so that it ran and I thought I had a leak, but it turned out it was perfectly fine. Run it a bit and see if you still have the same problem after a few miles.
Just took it out, all the grease I used on the headers at the cut ends are now burnt white.  I don't see visible smoke like I did before, it sure does smell rich as hell though. 

AlbatrossCafe

Hopefully you can wash that grease off. The rich smell makes sense... you now have a straight-through exhaust which seems to let a lot more "smell" through I have noticed compared to the stock exhausts that I have had. Once the ECU has a chance to recalibrate itself after some miles or you buy a tuner/get an ECU flash some of that smell should fade.

No cat converter will allow all sorts of smells get by that weren't there.

Is there still an O2 sensor in the system or is that gone as well?

Did you use the pipe sealant that was suppose to be provided with the pipe? That would make a difference, perhaps.

Beemer

Archived