The MT-07 Forum

Is the beginner track day worth it?

SkH

Or should I go with Intermediate?  Have my first one coming in Aug.  I just don't want to be in the kind of situation where I sign up for beginner, and a whole bunch of people tell me why did I do beginner?

Also what tire pressure would you guys recommend for the FZ07 @120lb rider weight? 

I visit here at least once a week.  Got any questions, ask and I will answer!

• Premium Member

After I went to the track I wish I had done a beginner day FYI 
They called in novice up here then you move to B and on to A and you have to test to move on. So I don't think you have a choice. And once you get to the track you will understand lol. Class A was the first ones out on the track the day I went and about pooped my pants at how fast those guys were ripping around the track.

start out at 30 psi front and rear is a good starting point ( that's what I was told to do any way) had no issue.

2015 FZ-07 2003 2014 GSXR 1000

Start in novice and if you're fast and good enough for intermediate one of the track instructor should let you know. There's a huge difference between hitting the fearlessly the twisties and actually going at it with 20 wingnuts like you at the same time! LOL

As you get up categories... some of those wingnuts have been doing this for years or are former racers. Nothing worse than being out of place as a newby.

If this is your first time at a said track... not a bad thing to learn the line at a slower pace.

Alright, thanks guys. Beginner/novice it is. Can't wait.

Going to rent a little hitch trailer for my 4runner, have a pop canopy tent, cooler going to be stocked with water, drinks and snacks plus sandwiches, gas canister of gas, all my tools. I still need to buy my racing leathers and boots. I might cheap it out a bit and just buy leather race pants and boots and use my dianese leather top. Dropping off the kids at their grandparents and the mrs is coming along in case I am unable to drive at the end of the day (haha). Probably drop in some beer in the cooler as well if that's the case.

Still unsure whether to bring the R3 or FZ07. I heard the R3's Bias Ply tires suck ass for the track and I'm not changing out tires for my first track day so maybe it will have to be the FZ.  The z1000 has the worst ground clearance of the 3, so no go for the z1k.

I visit here at least once a week.  Got any questions, ask and I will answer!

bmwpowere36m3

Most organizations require you start in beginner/novice or request proof of prior experience... depends on the club/organization. When I did track days with my M3 usually I was in intermediate, but when I ran with a new group I started back in novice. Go out for a single session with an instructor and he'll sign you off to a higher class as appropriate.

Trust me... I thought I was decent, till I did my first track day and did a session in my instructors car... humbling to say the least.

• Premium Member

Be good to make sure that your top and leather pants will work. Some places require two-piece suits to zip together.

And have fun!

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

You may need to do a shot or two after your last session ... best throw in a bottle of the Beam, too.  ;)

Beemer

Archived