The MT-07 Forum

Would you guys trust this?

Guest ChicagoAJ

Guest ChicagoAJ

I really don't want to spend $30+ bucks on something that realistically costs a fraction of that to make. So I'm thinking about picking up this magnetic drain bolt from CheBay. Any thoughts?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Magnetic-Oil-Drain-Plug-Bolt-for-YAMAHA-YZF-R1-R6-R6S-FZ1-FZ6-FZ8-MT01-07-09-CNC-/172011631529?fits=Model%3AFZ07&var=&hash=item280cb133a9:m:m1QwqyoISqWgllYGwRDYXbQ&vxp=mtr

603nytroxtx

I did quite a bit of research on this a while back. I almost pulled the trigger on a "Dimple" magnetic drainplug because of the test videos and reviews they have compared to stock magnetic plugs. They are quite a bit more expensive than what you found but they are also available on eBay. If I was going to get one I would go for the one with the best magnet possible which is Dimple.

2015 FZ-07 Graphite
*Yoshimura R-77 Carbon Works Finish
*2WDW ECU Flash
*OES Sliders
*GearBrake Flashing Smart Brake Light
*Creese Tail Tidy with LED
*TST Industries Flushmount front LED
*Motionpro R6 throttle tube
*Yamaha Fly Screen
*X-Grip with Bruudt mount

I did quite a bit of research on this a while back. I almost pulled the trigger on a "Dimple" magnetic drainplug because of the test videos and reviews they have compared to stock magnetic plugs. They are quite a bit more expensive than what you found but they are also available on eBay. If I was going to get one I would go for the one with the best magnet possible which is Dimple.
During your research did you find anything that proved an oil filter isn't good enough at catching debris?

Beemer

• Premium Member

Slap a powerful rare earth magnet on the bottom of the oil pan?

I grabbed one from work and that thing is dangerous. Fooling around I gave myself a blister getting pinched. Had to use a crowbar to pry it off since I couldn't slide it to an edge to pry off.

Everything went braap.

Guest ChicagoAJ
I grabbed one from work and that thing is dangerous. Fooling around I gave myself a blister getting pinched. Had to use a crowbar to pry it off since I couldn't slide it to an edge to pry off.
I've played with a few of these and they're absolutely violent. 

603nytroxtx
During your research did you find anything that proved an oil filter isn't good enough at catching debris?
I think I would explain that as my reasoning why my bike doesn't have one in it right now. I'm the kind of guy that would buy it for $35 if I found evidence it worked beyond what the filter could do. It's very hard to get accurate tests on real world applications. The only way to see real results would be for a lab test of known amount of contaminants passing through a filter then through the magnet and seeing if there was a "significant" difference. I really like the idea behind them but have yet to see conclusive evidence.

2015 FZ-07 Graphite
*Yoshimura R-77 Carbon Works Finish
*2WDW ECU Flash
*OES Sliders
*GearBrake Flashing Smart Brake Light
*Creese Tail Tidy with LED
*TST Industries Flushmount front LED
*Motionpro R6 throttle tube
*Yamaha Fly Screen
*X-Grip with Bruudt mount

A good magnetic plug will remove iron, nickle and cobalt debris that are too fine to be removed by the filter. That is the stuff that can cause wear in places that they are small enough to get into, particularly in places where there isn't things with sleeve bearings that have a reasonable amount of embedability ( ie cam/slipper faces, gears, internal chains etc have steel to steel contact)). Probably not a big thing in the short term, but over a long term probably significant.
However there may be a downside ( never seen this proven but it may have been ) in that the free ultrafine iron may react with any acids formed in the oil as a byproduct of combustion blowby to produce both a soft iron oxide and carbonate( which actually can act as a lubricant) AND help neutralize the pH of the oil.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

Another theory about a magnetized plug is that if by chance a clump of shavings somehow came off the magnet (maybe not the best magnet or the right circumstances) the clump of metal could do more damage than if all the debris had been left to circulate separately. All in theory. One thing I always try to keep in mind is an engine is mechanical, not eternal, so no matter what you do ....  x_x  eventually.

Beemer

• Global Moderator
Got any more sitting around you can part with?

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

I'm with @beemer on this one.

Engaging with people that have personality disorders on a message board is like arguing with a rock.

A magnetic plug is more to see how much metal the engine is producing than to catch the stuff floating in the engine oil. Your filter is designed to catch the stuff large enough to cause actual damage to the engine. That's why you change them. They are not pointless, but unless you really want one than there isn't really a whole lot of a point to them.

If a lump came off the magnet. Possible, but if you have a rare earth magnet, VERY unlikely to happen. In any case it is in the sump. That clump is now big enough to be stopped by the filter after it is picked up from the sump and through the oil pump. The fact that the particles are likely be have become magnetic themselves means they will stick together and be less likely to get through the filter anyway.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

dentalprodigy

OP I'd trust that ebay magnet. I actually had the same webpage bookmarked on my computer but didn't feel like waiting for shipping, so I went to Autozone & bought one from there.

http://imgur.com/uggiNuU

• Premium Member

I picked up the "dimple" plug and also threw a few N-52s on the filter itself, just to be needlessly OCD.

https://www.kjmagnetics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=BX084BR-N52&cat=168

http://www.motorcycleinnovations.ca/product_p/yamahadimple.htm

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

If a lump came off the magnet. Possible, but if you have a rare earth magnet, VERY unlikely to happen. In any case it is in the sump. That clump is now big enough to be stopped by the filter after it is picked up from the sump and through the oil pump. The fact that the particles are likely be have become magnetic themselves means they will stick together and be less likely to get through the filter anyway.
Good observation. All I want is the truth or anything that brings us closer to it and what you said might explain why I haven't heard of any instances where a magnet caused damage to any engine. After more serious thought I believe they're safe enough to use. A clump of shavings should get caught before causing any damage. How effective any magnet is is another matter but as they say, "If it doesn't hurt anything, why not?" I'm done thinking on this.

Beemer

Guest Ralph

I have a similar one on mine and one look at it at oil changes convinces me of it's worth
not very scientific but it works for me, Suzuki's come with them from new, a strong magnet would
stick to the oil filter and likely trap the metal till you change the filter, the sump is alloy
so it would not stick without help and would leave any bits still in the sump.
My Morini on the other hand as a strainer rather than a filter it may catch half a house brick
on a good day but that doesn't seem to bother the engine, I must get round to drilling the sump
plug and fixing a magnet into that.

Of course this will start those that fit them worrying about how much metal on the magnet is
to much, so those of a worrying nature may be better closing there eyes when they remove
it and giving it a good wipe before opening them again.

• Premium Member

A good magnetic drain-plug cannot possibly hurt... as long as the magnet doesn't come loose in your engine (that's why a good one).

Archived