The MT-07 Forum

Don't forget about your disk lock.

V8titanpwr

• Premium Member

Picked up a reminder cable today but not before forgetting about the lock, twice, could have been much much worse but still a dumb mistake. Also, my phone has a mind of its own in my pocket, just ignore that, haha.

Keep the rubber side down and the shiny side up.

• Premium Member

Never used disk locks on my bikes before so it's a new thing for me to remember.

LOL, never thought to carry mine with me, great idea

Always attached mine to the front with the orange cable so I could see it

Also like the hat holder...gonna have to start using that

• Premium Member
I'm confused is it disk lock like the post says or a dick lock like the video says? Haha
HAHA, never noticed the spelling mistake, i'll fix it now.

You should've got that awesome XENA disc lock alarm from Revzilla dude, it beeps when you move the bike so you'll never forget about your disc lock when 120DB is ripping through your eardrums, for a solid like 70 bucks i think.

0000-Xena-XX-6-Disc-Lock-Yellow_detail.jpg

"Shoot? I'm a hippie. The only thing I've shot is acid. I heard of a dude snorted it once. Thought his nose was a kangaroo and the moon was a dog! WOOH!" - The Truth (GTA San Andreas)

The same crap happened to me 15 years ago after leaving the movie theater. I forgot I had my disk lock and my Ninja zx900 fell on my leg. My knee was in pain for about a month after that. I never forgot my disk lock again.

• Premium Member
You should've got that awesome XENA disc lock alarm from Revzilla dude, it beeps when you move the bike so you'll never forget about your disc lock when 120DB is ripping through your eardrums, for a solid like 70 bucks i think. 
0000-Xena-XX-6-Disc-Lock-Yellow_detail.jpg

I wanted to stay clear of alarmed disc locks as I have heard so many times about them randomly going off etc. It's mainly there as a deterrent anyway, a disc lock to a good thief is nothing, that's why I have good insurance.

• 8 months later...

i'm looking into getting a Xena as a visual deterrent to go along with my spot trace and gorilla 9000. Can't seems to find which model to use on the rear disc using their template finder thingy... anyone can help?

Don't feel like the Lone Ranger. >>>(FZ 07 kicks thief's arse!) >My contribution. Everyone has made a mistake a time or two and if anyone says they haven't they are probably a "know it all" that can never, ever, admit it.

Beemer

• 11 months later...
I am confused as to what size disc lock fits the FZ-07?

For the front it depends on if you want the lock pin to go through the vent holes in the disc or go through the larger ones beside the mounting points. I have a xena x15 has a large pin and can get it on the front at any if the holes next to the mounting points, for the rear I think you have to get one that fits the vent holes with will be smaller.

You can get away with a x14 on the front and possibly a 13, when in doubt they will have a size chart with measurements so you can make sure the depth of the pin will go far enough over the disc.

If you want to be safe, 5mm for sure fits (lol). Guessing 10mm pin would be the biggest to use. But I just got a 5mm pin.

Engaging with people that have personality disorders on a message board is like arguing with a rock.

I never used reminder cables. I thought setting the stop switch to off was enough of a reminder. That was fine till I decided to work on a bike without starting. Moved it ahead and bam: bent the rotor and broke a chunk out of the fender/fairing. You can be sure I use the reminder cable now.
I bought one of those LockAlarm disk locks last fall. Have not really used it yet but it works well in testing for a cheapie. Also bought one of their cable alarms so I can secure two bikes together. Pretty good units and loud.

• Premium Member
phicurious86
Picked up a reminder cable today but not before forgetting about the lock, twice, could have been much much worse but still a dumb mistake. Also, my phone has a mind of its own in my pocket, just ignore that, haha. 

Did the exact same thing on my first bike. Dumped it pretty hard, but luckily was mostly cosmetic damage to the bar end slider. Always use that minder cable now.

Guest 2wheeler

I bought a reminder cable when I bought my Xena lock mostly just to make the cute sale lady happy. My personal thoughts WERE that you had to be an idiot to pull out with a disc lock on your bike. Obviously that was until I did it. I was fortunate in that the lock was positioned very near the caliber and I was in a parking lot and started out very slowly. Nothing happened other than a light clunk sound and me not going anywhere. I was lucky from what you guys are saying!

Yeah, I put my orange cable on all the time now. What works for me is to run it with each end over the handlebar grips. Very easy to do, easy to see, and with the Kryptonite reminder cable, the loops are plenty big enough.

Just a thought about the Xena disc lock with the alarm... mine sucked! The lock part is great, but that alarm would randomly go off for no reason whatsoever. It did not matter where it was on the disc, and there was no consistency to when it would go of at all. I got a super deal on it so I just took the battery out and use it as a lock only. If you read the reviews on them, a lot of people have that problem. I could have taken it back probably - it was a special order, but I got such a good deal on it, I just kept it.

Just a thought about the Xena disc lock with the alarm... mine sucked! The lock part is great, but that alarm would randomly go off for no reason whatsoever. It did not matter where it was on the disc, and there was no consistency to when it would go of at all. 
Read more: http://fz07.org/thread/571/forget-disk-lock#ixzz46E47tZZF

I've heard that about Xena for years. I keep hoping they will get better.

I had a Talon alarm that was totally unreliable. Went off in the middle of the night and woke up neighbours who, instead of knocking on my door, called the police who were not happy about telling me to shut off my motorcycle alarm.

Can be inducted into the "idiot who forgot their disc lock" club?

I opened the trunk to put my disc lock in as usual. I have a reminder cable. It reminded me to unlock my front disc lock and take it off. BUT. I got distracted and left it dangling by the reminder cable off the brake lever for a 30 mile commute. Halfway through my commute I noticed my rear seat wasn't locked in. I thought it was odd, but just locked the seat in place and continued riding. When I arrived I finally noticed the dangling reminder cable, then proceeded to call myself an idiot for the next 30 minutes.

I dun goofed.

I can just go through the large vent hole cant I? I dont have to go through those little ones?

I looked and looked but couldn't find the video. An older couple on a Harley, starts to take off, bam disc lock, everyone falls off in the parking lot, in front of all the other bikers.

• Premium Member
fe0c122faf3bb22edaa39e2bfbb76a5b.jpg

I use a 6' piece of rope with a carabiner on the end.

The carabiner hooks onto my clutch lever after having crossed my bike from the rear disc.

Archived