The MT-07 Forum

Wheel Rust

tbfzsage

Hello all, 
I've had my FZ-07 for about a year now, it's my first bike of my own. Since about the second week though, I've had rust keep popping up on my wheels. I live in Florida so it's always raining and there's a lot of humidity and moisture in the air. I don't have a garage but I keep it covered as much as I can but can't keep the rust off. What's a good way to get the rust off the wheels without messing up the paint? 

Also looking for suggestions for a good chain lube to use. I've been taking my bike to the dealer for maintenance up until now but I want to start doing it myself as that's getting pretty costly. Any other suggestions for things I should look out for as far as maintaining the bike is welcome; like I said this is my first bike so I'm pretty new to all this. I've fiddled through the owner's manual a bit but they don't always cover everything! Thanks

• Premium Member

Not sure what to say about the rust on the wheels, but for your chain any chain specific lube should do. I have been using
DuPont Teflon Chain-Saver Dry Self-Cleaning Lubricant, 11-Ounce https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001B0VDC2/ref=cm_sw_r_apa_mO0yxbE1X0659

Get the rear wheel lifted up on a rear stand, spray the chain with degreaser (name brand like Dupont is fine or you can just use kerosene). Let it sit for a minute. Wipe it down good to get the dirt and grime off, sprocket too. And then lube up the chain.

I really like MC Garage vids. Usually pretty helpful.
MC Garage:

Not sure what to say about the rust on the wheels, but for your chain any chain specific lube should do. I have been using DuPont Teflon Chain-Saver Dry Self-Cleaning Lubricant, 11-Ounce https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001B0VDC2/ref=cm_sw_r_apa_mO0yxbE1X0659

Get the rear wheel lifted up on a rear stand, spray the chain with degreaser (name brand like Dupont is fine or you can just use kerosene). Let it sit for a minute. Wipe it down good to get the dirt and grime off, sprocket too. And then lube up the chain.

I really like MC Garage vids. Usually pretty helpful.
MC Garage:
Cool, thanks! I'll be sure to check out the vids. P.S. Nice helmet, I've got the same one! lol. Very comfortable and its looks just fit the personality of the of the FZ-07 lol. Just sucks when it rains and you have all the water coming in from the sides of the mask =p

Guest Ralph

Wheels are alloy so dont really rust but it does corrode but I've never seen it on such a new bike
do you mean on the brake discs?

Wheels are alloy so dont really rust but it does corrode but I've never seen it on such a new bike do you mean on the brake discs?
No, I mean wheels. Although there has been just a little bit on the discs but I was able to get that off relatively easy. On the wheels most of it just seems to be on the surface and it comes off with a little bit of elbow grease and cleaner/degreaser but the bottom layer of it won't come off. I don't want to ruin the paint, I don't know if wire brushes or steel wool and such is okay for the wheels. I'll try and get a picture of it when I get off work

Here are two things you can use that work well. Naval jelly to remove rust and RPM (Rust Prevention Magic) to keep the rust from developing in the first place.

https://www.amazon.com/Locktite-1381191-Bottle-Dissolver-6784185/dp/B01D8UDFWS/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1466167894&sr=8-6&keywords=naval+jelly+rust

https://www.amazon.com/RPM-Rust-Prevention-Magic-oz/dp/B00ITVG8IK

[video src=https://youtu.be/l4QEBHIX6H8]

Beemer

bmwpowere36m3

The wheels are cast aluminum... so if anything they'll oxidize when the surface finish is compromised and not rust. Second, are you located by the coast? The quality of finishes on the FZ-07 leaves a little to be desired...

Anything abrasive you use can damage the finish on the wheels (so I'd avoid wire wool, scuff pads, scotch-brite, etc...). Third, use of cleaning degreasers can damage surfaces if used too much or left on too long.

The wheels are cast aluminum... so if anything they'll oxidize when the surface finish is compromised and not rust. Second, are you located by the coast? The quality of finishes on the FZ-07 leaves a little to be desired... 
Anything abrasive you use can damage the finish on the wheels (so I'd avoid wire wool, scuff pads, scotch-brite, etc...). Third, use of cleaning degreasers can damage surfaces if used too much or left on too long.
Yeah, I'm in the Tampa Bay area so coast is not very far. Always very moist out. I haven't used any rough surfaces as I figured that'd damage the finish, I've only been using microfiber towels to try and rub it out but it doesn't get all of it. Even the slightest bit left on there makes it look so bad. It must be a really bad surface finish because like I said, I noticed it only a couple weeks in after having the bike.

Archived