The MT-07 Forum

Sticky rear brake light switch

i28

• Premium Member

Adjusted the rear brake light switch and now it's a little sticky.
At first I checked that it wasn't too tight but and loosened it a bit but it was still getting stuck and would take the brake light a few seconds to turn off.
Is this something I need to replace or can I use dry lube without causing any damage? [span]    [/span]

• Global Moderator
muchas gracias!

Use the LUUUUUBEEE dude

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

• Premium Member

Just wasn't sure if there was anything electrical that dry lube could potentially damage.
Tried it and it seems to have helped a good amount hasn't fully resolved the issue. I'll put some more in there later and see what happens.

Maybe in it's original setting with some lube it will act right. Have you tried that?

Beemer

The seal on that switch must really be snug to buck that return spring. Considering its location and proximity to spooge, probably a good thing in the long run. I gave mine a spritz of contact cleaner that also has a lubricant in it. Got it at radio shack.

• Premium Member
Just wasn't sure if there was anything electrical that dry lube could potentially damage. Tried it and it seems to have helped a good amount hasn't fully resolved the issue. I'll put some more in there later and see what happens.

In the original setting, the sensitivity want even close to where it needs to be to activate the light. It just needs some more lube and to break in, it seems.

Thanks for the help gents as I am mechanically challenged (rofl) (but learning quickly).

• Premium Member

Mine was sticking when the bike was new. I lubed it and it has been fine for a year.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...

I adjusted my brake pedal travel the way I wanted it and  then the light would not even come on from the rear brake .. It's a mechanical switch not a pressure switch ..

After I adjusted it .. It was not pulling on the lever that pulls the  light switch on .. There are two springs I lost all spring tension with my adjustment ..   You can turn the threaded rod and you can move a nut at the bottom inside a clevis ..

I think on my next attempt I can  get the pedal adjusted where I want it and still have the switch activating .. looks like the plastic switch it'self is also threaded..

Archived