The MT-07 Forum

Anyone have a non-standard mounted license plate?

AlbatrossCafe

AlbatrossCafe

And by "non-standard", I mean not on the traditional fender or on a fender-eliminator kit.

I am looking to move my plate. I am wondering if any of you have mounted it further under the seat or maybe behind the swingarm or something. I haven't seen it much on this bike. If you have, can you post a pic & give a little detail on how you mounted it?

Something like this:
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d110/rjuan23/better_view.jpg http://www.ducati.ms/forums/attachments/superbikes/104043d1327100308-rear-plate-relocator-plate.jpg

Or this:
http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/images/BADLANDS-NFSM-05-C-1.jpg

• Premium Member

I'm sure, where I live, the yellow bike set-up would get me stopped and it doesn't appear to have much tire clearance, at least not in the first pic.

I've seen vertical mounts to the side like on the red Hog pic, but again it might be a question of legality if placed in the upright position instead of like on the Hog, which sticks out in the wind. I too explored this issue a bit since I fabricate all sorts of things and just wasn't comfortable with any I came up with--the above issues repeatedly raised their noggins.

If you find something acceptable do let us know.

AlbatrossCafe
I've been looking and have found few fzs with similar mounts
Pics? I mainly want to see how they fabbed the mount. Could you literally just use zip ties the frame? I don't want it to be super janky though. 
The FZ has pretty good rear tire clearance... Some people seem to rotate the bottom of the plate inward towards the front to allow for more clearance, although that makes it harder to see from the back.

@avanti I have friends who have been stopped for plates like this before, and none of them have ever been ticketed (yet) as long as they aren't doing anything else stupid lol. They usually just say something like "oh this was on the bike when I bought it". When you think about it, a lot of things on our bikes are technically "illegal" (turn signals, exhaust, certain headlights, etc.) so I am not too concerned.

This is part of a greater customization project where having the plate there gets in the way.

Guest ChicagoAJ
I bought this one its pretty nice. link
Don't tease us like that bro. We need pics! Many angles!
Seriously, that one is awesome. No way you'd ever get a red light ticket with that set up. Ever since I bought the Yoshi tail tidy I've regretted it from about a week after install. However, I doubt I'll ever get pulled over for it. 

AlbatrossCafe
Im trying 

That is exactly what I am looking for. 
So is one of the plastic trim pieces under the tail no longer there? Can you maybe take a closer pick of the mount where it attaches to the bike? Thanks.

No it's there. These pictures are right after I bolted it in, before I put it back together. It's "plug and play' really. I would recommend the female end for the light though.

AlbatrossCafe
No it's there. These pictures are right after I bolted it in, before I put it back together. It's "plug and play' really. I would recommend the female end for the light though.
Very nice... now if I can only find a way to use my existing LED rear turn signals then I'm golden with this thing. It doesn't look like they sell a version with turn signal stalk mounts. Not sure if there would even be room/clearance for that anyway.

I went a completely different route to reduce splash and crap getting over the bag and inside of the cases when I tour. Actually use the stock mount cot and modd a bit with a carbon sub fender.
picview20save2.jpg

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

Archived