The MT-07 Forum

Nice night time commute. Got the bike impounded

justblade

Went for a nice commute to work. Weather was great here in ontario. About to jump on the 401 I pass a truck real quick and there was a cop in the middle just to see me at full acceleration. Pulled me over clocked me at 140 in an 80 ended up with a stunting charge and my baby in the impound and no license for 7 days :thumbdown:

dentalprodigy

Damn dude/dudette, that stinks. On a positive note, I'm impressed at your high speed of 140 mph. Didn't think the fz07 could go past ~130mph. Take it easy from now on. Easier said than done because it's so easy to be a hooligan on this thing.

I'm no boy scout either; recently got cited for 51 mph in a 25mph zone at night time as well. Hopefully they'll drop it to “0" point violation at the scheduled traffic court date. Nonetheless, lessons I learned were to not be a hooligan in the suburbs when it's dark because you can't spot the cops ;)

Here in Canada we measure in km/h, not MPH.

I assume you got nabbed by the OPP. I have no time or patients for the OPP. All of them think they are in a cop movie and that if you happen to be driving quickly you were a satan worshiping demon who hates civilized society.

Hahaha yea km/h sorry. Also yes it was an opp he wasn't the most forgiving fellow lol. hopefully a traffic lawyer can fight them down a little.

Here in Canada we measure in km/h, not MPH. 
I assume you got nabbed by the OPP. I have no time or patients for the OPP. All of them think they are in a cop movie and that if you happen to be driving quickly you were a satan worshiping demon who hates civilized society.
Thankfully, lawyers like a misanthrope's money just the same. Thank god there are dirty lawyers to combat dirty cops. 
Good luck, justblade!

Beemer

bigdaddybane

That sucks ... you can try to fight it but you went 60 over the limit. With good lawyer you might be able to drop stunting charges but likely will cost you some money. Did you talk to your insurance yet?

AlbatrossCafe

If the cop was stopped, you shoulda just run! Speed up, take the next exit, zig-zag down a few side roads and then eat at a Taco bell or something. Worked for me the first ~25 times... 26th, not so much (I'm half serious on this).

Either way, stupid charges IMHO. "Stunting" is BS, and you definitely don't deserve suspension + impound. Many riders exceed the limit like that for short jaunts every single time they ride. I know I do. For any clear on-ramp on a highway you will find me going from 0-90mph and then back down to 60 after I merge. Should my bike get impounded? Not like you or I spend an 30 minutes straight doubling the speed limit.

If the cop was stopped, you shoulda just run! Speed up, take the next exit, zig-zag down a few side roads and then eat at a Taco bell or something. Worked for me the first ~25 times... 26th, not so much (I'm half serious on this).
LOL! Damn I always thought about doing this and wondering how easy it was to just be gone.

• Premium Member

Patience, grasshopper.... still, it's so easy to reef on that throttle. Definitely thumbs down. Best of luck.

[attachment id=1856" thumbnail="1]

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

• Premium Member
Either way, stupid charges IMHO. "Stunting" is BS, and you definitely don't deserve suspension + impound. Many riders exceed the limit like that for short jaunts every single time they ride. I know I do. For any clear on-ramp on a highway you will find me going from 0-90mph and then back down to 60 after I merge. Should my bike get impounded? Not like you or I spend an 30 minutes straight doubling the speed limit.
HA, you're a madman albatross. Running from the fuzz works up an appetite for tacos? Who knew ;)    But yeah I agree with many of your points here. No MC'r (or cager) I know is glued to the limit. And of course there's a lot of variables in how a po po treats you.

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

That sucks ... you can try to fight it but you went 60 over the limit. With good lawyer you might be able to drop stunting charges but likely will cost you some money. Did you talk to your insurance yet?
Yea it will most likely get knocked down to a speeding ticket. I haven't talked to my insurance yet at all. It's possible I might get suspended for 30 days.

As horrible as it might sound but I'll never stop again it's not worth it.

You may have accelerated for too long but what's very important and key to your defense is 'you were merging' at the time and people often speed up faster than the traffic to merge safely, which you did and no one got hurt. It's not like you were already on the highway and going fast for no reason other than to stunt or show-off like the cop is making it out to be. What I would stress to a judge and jury is you simply merged wrong. That you felt vulnerable merging at those speeds on your bike and that you over reacted out of fear and you sped up too much. Make them feel for you so they don't see you as just being another "Law Breaking Hooligan" like the cop will make you out to be so that he can add you to his list of busts to gain a promotion. If a cop can twist the truth to win then so can citizens. Fuqem!

Beemer

AlbatrossCafe
In my cop-running days (back when I was 18-21, 24 now) I had a 2005 CBR 600 F4i. A little more top end to get away on. I don't really do it anymore now. The FZ makes it a lot easier to stay at reasonable speeds. I have only avoided police once on my FZ, and that was when the officer was on foot and wanted to give me a ticket for filtering at a stoplight (illegal where I live, but it was 87 degrees out, I was in full black gear and I wasn't going to melt in traffic) and I bailed. I won't do anything like that now unless it is a 150% chance I can safely avoid them, which is rare. (:)) 
The one time got caught a few years ago I had to go to jail for a couple weekends and had my license suspended for a year. That was the WORST lol. Much worse than a ticket. So be careful...

• 1 month later...
Bad idea friend. The days aren't like they used to be. With cameras everywhere if even one snaps a photo of your plate your ass is grass. As the owner you're responsible for the proper and legal operation of it and the name of the person it is registered based on the plate is all they need.

twowheeladdict
As horrible as it might sound but I'll never speed again it's not worth it.
Fixed it for you.  Must be nice to have jobs that don't care if you get suspended licenses, or jail time for running.

2015 FZ-07

You got your license suspended for 7 years because you were going 86 mph onto a freeway? Canada must be strick on speeding.

Greatness

• Premium Member
You got your license suspended for 7 years because you were going 86 mph onto a freeway? Canada must be strick on speeding.
No,  up here it would be for 7 days. 

That's real Shit man. Hopefully your insurance doesn't find out. Insurance will rape you with no lube. For those that don't know, here in Ontario, Canada. We pay some of the highest insurance costs in the country.

I accidentally clicked on his name and guess what .... he's a dude so no more mystery there! I also think he felt that insurance sting mentioned because he sounded serious when he said he'll never speed again, it's not worth it. I disagree, it is worth it if you see there are no cops around.   P-)  Heh, heh!

Beemer

Ouch, the suspension and impound is pretty harsh. We had a cop pass us in the oncoming lane while a group of us were going around 100 in a 55mph, he didn't even bother turning around.

Archived