The MT-07 Forum

Brand New FZ-07. No Power

antimatter

Hey guys, first post here.

Just bought a 2016 FZ-07 a week ago. Put 160 miles on it between then and now. Rode yesterday to work and back, no issues at all. It rained this morning so I didn't ride to work, but when I went to start it this afternoon I got nothing.

When I turn the key nothing happens at all. No noise. Nothing.

I tried jumping it with my car on the on position, but not running, and it started, but as soon as I took the battery connections off it died right away. Tried again letting the bike idle longer and same outcome.

What could be wrong with my new bike??

Thanks everyone.

Do you have any power, lights etc.? I'd first check the batter with a voltage meter. Any error codes? This is very unusual!

A very bad battery. I'd take the whole bike in to the dealer and get them to look at it and get a new battery under warranty.

Absolutely no power at all. Literally nothing happens when I turn the key. First thought was the battery as well, but wouldn't think so with a new bike.

Do you have a multimeter or something?  Are the battery connections good?  Should be easy to determine; it's stone dead so have to be battery related, especially since it will jump start.

Absolutely no power at all. Literally nothing happens when I turn the key. First thought was the battery as well, but wouldn't think so with a new bike.

• Global Moderator
Could it be the alternator?
Stator/generator
there isnt technically an alternator on our motorcycles

But yea..
thats what it sounds like.. or the battery is internally shorted

Hook up a multimeter or volt meter to it... anything less than 10.5v and the battery is hosed

I second bringing the bike in for warranty service... if its the stator... thats a whole mess to delve into

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

• Premium Member

YES, back to the dealer... that's what the warranty is for!!!

I agree take it back to the dealer. Sounds like a problem with the stator or voltage regulator and your battery is probably gone because of it. Should be replaced under warranty but you'll be without a bike to ride until it's fixed.

Charging system? Sounds to me like it's not charging and trying to run off a dead battery. 

Beemer

antimatter

Hey guys, just to update this thread.

I stole the battery out of my friend's ATV and it fired right up. Had the original battery on a charger for 3 days before it said it was charged, but I have yet to try it.

Been running my friend's battery for a few days now with no issues.

Thanks for all of your help.

Guest Ralph

When you turn the key to lock you can go one click further passed that
point this allows some circuits to remain live with the bike locked I
don't know if this drains the battery or not if things like the indicators
are not on but if it does and you have turned it to far that could be
why it flattened the battery, if it's charging ok with lights on and bike on tickover
just a slight rev should see the lights brighten just a touch if they don't it
may not be charging.

Dead battery. Whether dead from leaving something on or just a bad battery, it's really dead. You'll need to have it externally charged and load tested to know for sure. Once the bike's running, like mentioned, charge voltage should be checked.

And as it produces AC - as in Alternating Current - it really is an alternator. Generator is sorta generic as it can be used to describe an AC or DC power. But when talking vehicles, saying generator will take you back to the 40s( or earlier when cars had DC generators)

The output is likely 50-60 volts AC on all 3 pairs of wires and that must be rectified to DC before regulated down to 14V DC. What's not used is bled off as heat - hence the fins on the MOSFET type rectifier/regulator.

That it's got a permanent magnet rotor (instead of one with slip rings/brushes and a big coil of wire) to create the spinning magnetic field, only changes how the AC output is regulated .

Archived