The MT-07 Forum

Brake light issue

jbird

3a29eb68f683c377e327bb7ed1249ce5.jpg

My rear brAke light won't come on even when the ignition is on bike is not running, now when the rear or front levers are pressed, I believe it's the front and rear brake lever switches, any ideas ?

As seen on picture this got damaged in a crash, I crimped the cable on the stop switch assembly, and contacted it with the other lead, and still no brake light?

I ordered both parts I need and waiting to install, but like to know if you guys think there could be another aspect to the issue

• Premium Member

I accidentally disconnected my brake light instead of the O2 sensor when I mistraced the wire.
I had just finished a crap ton of wiring etc and I just couldn't figure it out. Swearing ensued. One of my finer moments. Heh.

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

Have you checked fuse? I believe the brake light is on the same fuse as the turn signals. Do they work?

With the harness pinched, if the hot wire shorted to ground by getting pinched to the frame, that's where I'd look 1st. If it was just the front switch's harness that was, say, cut w/o shorting, the rear brake pedal should still operate the light. With both not working and the brake pedal's switch unharmed you need to look at what's common to both.

I will check the turn light fuze today, I looked at fuze box, there is no fuze for brake alone...good to know...ill update later

The turn lights do work, as well as both beams for headlight, but the aux light, the 5w bulb is not on when the ignition is on

• Global Moderator

Did you check both fuse boxes? It sounds like a fuse to me. It seems unlikely to have multiple unrelated problems at the same time.

Excellent! - The turn signal fuse was only a guess a guess on my part. it's not even clear from the service manual which fuse operates that brake light.

So yeah, when that wire bundle got pinched the hot and ground touched, shorted and the fuse popped - just like it's suppose to. If you are not replacing that section of harness, tidy up those bare bits.

Yes indeed, for a note to all. The bottom fuze labeled signal is for horn brake and aux light, and the other on top is for headlight and turn lights

Yes indeed, for a note to all. The bottom fuze labeled signal is for horn brake and aux light, and the other on top is for headlight and turn lights
Now I feel a bit daff - I read "signal" and translated that to turn signal. Never occurred to me that meant the horn. Maybe they should have just called it "semaphore" as that's how loud the horn is, lol.  
good to know, thanks. 

Archived