The MT-07 Forum

Considering a FZ-07

dann003

Hi guys,

I am new here and looking to buy a bike, narrowed it down to 2 bikes, the FZ-07 and Triumph Street Triple. I am a beginning rider and wanted your opinions if that's cool. I really like FZ-07, the weight, looks, controls, etc, but I also want the ABS. Do you think yamaha will release the FZ-07 with ABS in 2017? If not, should I go for the Street triple? Thanks guys,

-Dan

The FZ was and still is my first bike. I think it's perfect, not crazy over powered, and not slow. If Yamaha wants to keep the selling point of it being under 7k I doubt they will add ABS in the US version.

You aren't going to find more than praise here for the FZ-07 on these forums, but I'd recommend plopping your butt on each bike to see how they feel and if you can get a test ride for both, do it.

• Premium Member

The FZ-07 is a great bike for a beginner.
The street triple has more power and is comparable to the FZ-09:
http://www.cycleworld.com/2013/10/10/yamaha-fz-09-vs-triumph-street-triple-r-vs-mv-agusta-brutale-800-comparison-test-review-specs-photos

If you want something with power like the FZ-07 but with ABS then you should also consider the NINJA 650's.

I personally don't think ABS is that necessary. If you practice quick stops with proper lever pressures and have good tires, then you should be fine; assuming you're within speed limit. I suppose if you're plannning on going way above speed limit, then you'd appreciate ABS. I've had my shares of emergency quick stops (lane splitting in la and cager decides to change lane without checking or signaling) and it wasn't that big of a deal... it mostly would depend on how fast you were going. Don't lock up that front tire and try your best not to lock up the rear and you'd be good.

• Premium Member

ABS is NOT required for beginners any more than for experienced riders. Many (if not most) of us here learned to ride and drive without ABS... or any of the other combination of letters. There is evidence that the more such "passive" safety features a vehicle has the more the rider/driver comes to rely upon on them and attends to potential risks less themselves--NEVER a good thing.

Bottom-line get the bike you like best and learn to ride it responsibly!!! THAT will put you ahead of the game and keep you the safest in the long-run... and, ENJOY!

• Global Moderator

Fz07 is a better beginner bike than the triumph
its got torque galore and is a bit forgiving if you try starting off in 3rd, or take a sharp turn in 4th...
The striple is an awesome machine... there are a few scattered around the board as stablemates/replacements to the fz... but they are completely different bikes
other than them sharing the naked styling and 670-690 cc displacement theres not alot in common
the striple is a torquey and powerful supersport naked while the fz is more a torquey smile generator with the occasional whiplash

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

yamahazaki

Man, I grew up with rotary phones. Left and right. Up and down. Rotary, rotary. But you friggin kids these days and your "smart phones". Bleh. Guess what? You with your smart phones? Vs. Me and my rotary phones? Guess who's going to win? Me! That's right. I have analog skills that makes me use my phone much better than your technology reliant phone. Especially now that we are moving into the phase where ALL phones are smart phones (wait, are we there yet)? Hah! I will have to hunt down really hard in the flea markets until I find one rotary phone so I can kick your asses with my rotary phone, technology be damned! Me and my hipster buddies who spend inordinate amounts of money restoring old rotary phones, we have a club see. And we will outphone all you technology newbies any day of the week! And just think, 10 years from now in the year two ought twenty six, where all phones are required to have technology to make you phone better... when we are both lost in the desert and we both stumble across a rotary phone, I'll laugh at you when you cry and break down proclaiming you can't use a rotary phone while I still have all the ancient core mechanics to use one properly! Rest assured!

Wait, what are we talking about?

• Global Moderator
Man, I grew up with rotary phones. Left and right. Up and down. Rotary, rotary. But you friggin kids these days and your "smart phones". Bleh. Guess what? You with your smart phones? Vs. Me and my rotary phones? Guess who's going to win? Me! That's right. I have analog skills that makes me use my phone much better than your technology reliant phone. Especially now that we are moving into the phase where ALL phones are smart phones (wait, are we there yet)? Hah! I will have to hunt down really hard in the flea markets until I find one rotary phone so I can kick your asses with my rotary phone, technology be damned! Me and my hipster buddies who spend inordinate amounts of money restoring old rotary phones, we have a club see. And we will outphone all you technology newbies any day of the week! And just think, 10 years from now in the year two ought twenty six, where all phones are required to have technology to make you phone better... when we are both lost in the desert and we both stumble across a rotary phone, I'll laugh at you when you cry and break down proclaiming you can't use a rotary phone while I still have all the ancient core mechanics to use one properly! Rest assured! 
Wait, what are we talking about?
Something about being old :P

Kids? Im 26 and sure..i can use an android reasonably well...
a rotary phone is what i grew up with.. just because my dad thought they were cool.. so bring it on gramps(if you are infact a gradfather).. lets do this... me on rotary you on a s7 edge
lets see whos fastet

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

I'm a smaller guy 5' 7" 160 lbs, and the FZ-07 fit me A LOT better. It's all about fit feel and comfort! Do what feels best to you. I would recommend test driving both to see how they feel. Purely being subjective though, the FZ-07 would be a much better beginner bike.

And on the ABS note, I believe I was reading somewhere in the next year all bikes bigger than 125cc have to have mandatory ABS? Might have just been in Europe though, might be worth looking up

Guest ChicagoAJ

ABS will really only help in the rain or on gravel/loose surfaces. I had ABS on my last CBR and I never got it to kick in using the front brake, only the rear in panic stop situations. ABS doesn't make you stop quicker, it just makes the wheels not lock. It almost always makes your braking distance longer than without ABS.

I haven't ridden a Street Triple, but like others have said - it's got a bit more power and is less forgiving. Test ride both, then make up your mind.

Ive had mine since may 2016. First time rider as well. It took me two months of research to finally settle. And i came in set on buying xsr900 as my budget. When i rode away with the fz i knew it was the right ride. The price point allows customization which im truly enjoying, even as a first timer. The guys here help out a lot.
I suggest to continue your search and as many have mentioned, sit on those bikes to really tell if it suits you.
As for abs, i ride in washington, rain or shine. I havent had any trouble. Ive skidded from learning how to rev match but thats it. Good luck bud.

I've been riding since 1978. I've raced. i've done adventure rides. I've got a custom Harley cafe bike I built, I have a trackbike I also built. I've had every Japanese brand, a BMW, a Ducati and an Aprilia. Get the FZ-07. It's awesome. It'll do whatever you want, get you in as much trouble as there is to get into, and get you out of it too. It's cheap, there's a ton of parts for it, so you can turn it into a BoTT racebike or a mid-range touring bike. The only thing it's no good for is two-up rides.

I was in the same boat you are, debating on the 07 or the triple. I got the 07. You don't need ABS. Maybe it's my experience or age but I rode many years without ABS and had no problems. The triple is a nicer looking bike and if you get the non R version the weight difference is only 10lbs? Also the seat height would be about the same (31.?"). Street triple also has a little more aggressive seating position but still upright. Street triple cost more and the parts will be more expensive. I don't think you could go wrong with either bike. Get the one you want and just ride. You can always switch later.

Also what about the new 2017 SV650 that has a ABS option?

Greatness

• Global Moderator

I agree the SV650 looks like a good option if you have to have ABS. It has been getting pretty good reviews too. I think the FZ-07 is debatable as being a good first bike (and we have had that debate in another thread). I have not heard anyone recommend a Street Triple as a good first bike though. It is a great bike, but it is a lot of bike for a new rider.

Hi guys, 

I am new here and looking to buy a bike, narrowed it down to 2 bikes, the FZ-07 and Triumph Street Triple. I am a beginning rider and wanted your opinions if that's cool. I really like FZ-07, the weight, looks, controls, etc, but I also want the ABS. Do you think yamaha will release the FZ-07 with ABS in 2017? If not, should I go for the Street triple? Thanks guys,

-Dan

I also regard myself as a beginner rider and 1 months ago went for yamaha. I was thinking like you to get street triple. If money had not been an issue probably I would've done that.
+ I was scared too that the speed triple might be too much for me. It was more logical choice to get the yamaha. Everybody is telling me etc. Unfortunately, I've never driven speed triple but I know it's in a different league. You can't really compare it to yamaha fz07.
I'm coming from a 125cc scooter. So I thought yamaha will do it for me.
But to be honest with you power wise it was exciting for a couple of weeks. Now I'm looking for more....
So, did I regret it. No and yes. I mean...I love my bike. I love the way its look actually that's way I bought it. Much better looking than speed triple. But I miss the power.
Maybe it's just me. My friend has an R1. To stay on that bike is phisiclly painful....I love it.

Guest ChicagoAJ
Hi guys, 

-Dan

I also regard myself as a beginner rider and 1 months ago went for yamaha. I was thinking like you to get street triple. If money had not been an issue probably I would've done that.
+ I was scared too that the speed triple might be too much for me. It was more logical choice to get the yamaha. Everybody is telling me etc. Unfortunately, I've never driven speed triple but I know it's in a different league. You can't really compare it to yamaha fz07.
But to be honest with you power wise it was exciting for a couple of weeks. Now I'm looking for more....
So, did I regret it. No and yes. I mean...I love my bike. I love the way its look actually that's way I bought it. Much better looking than speed triple. But I miss the power.
Maybe it's just me. My friend has an R1. To stay on that bike is phisiclly painful....I love it.

I understand the want/need for more power. But to say the FZ-07 isn't exciting is wrong - in my opinion. If we're talking speed, 0-60 on this bike with a few upgrades is almost dead on with most supersports and other bikes out of its class, even 0-80 will destroy just about every single vehicle on the road (even exotics if the driver is slow to react or not experienced with launching). I've made a fool of an older guy in a 575 Ferrari Maranello that always cruises around in my area when leaving him behind from a light.  
With an experienced rider I'm sure with a tune/exhaust this thing would do a sub 3 second 0-60 and high 11's in the quarter mile which is right there with most 600cc supersports with an average rider (most R6's run a low 11 second quarter mile, and that's with a pro rider). Unless you're pretty experienced with riding in general, even on a 1000cc+ bike you'd be lucky to get a 0-60 time that good without flipping it over or wrecking it. 

• Global Moderator

The Street Triple and Speed Triple are two different bikes. The Street is 675 cc and the Speed is 1050. The Street could maybe be a beginner bike but I cannot imagine anyone would say the Speed is.

I also regard myself as a beginner rider and 1 months ago went for yamaha. I was thinking like you to get street triple. If money had not been an issue probably I would've done that. + I was scared too that the speed triple might be too much for me. It was more logical choice to get the yamaha. Everybody is telling me etc. Unfortunately, I've never driven speed triple but I know it's in a different league. You can't really compare it to yamaha fz07.

I understand the want/need for more power. But to say the FZ-07 isn't exciting is wrong - in my opinion. If we're talking speed, 0-60 on this bike with a few upgrades is almost dead on with most supersports and other bikes out of its class, even 0-80 will destroy just about every single vehicle on the road (even exotics if the driver is slow to react or not experienced with launching). I've made a fool of an older guy in a 575 Ferrari Maranello that always cruises around in my area when leaving him behind from a light.  
With an experienced rider I'm sure with a tune/exhaust this thing would do a sub 3 second 0-60 and high 11's in the quarter mile which is right there with most 600cc supersports with an average rider (most R6's run a low 11 second quarter mile, and that's with a pro rider). Unless you're pretty experienced with riding in general, even on a 1000cc+ bike you'd be lucky to get a 0-60 time that good without flipping it over or wrecking it. 

Reading back my comment you're right. I was a bit harsh.
I love my bike. Riding it every day and no regret. When I buy a new bike I will definitely keep this one.
But definitely i will buy an other one.

Guest ChicagoAJ

Reading back my comment you're right. I was a bit harsh.
I love my bike. Riding it every day and no regret. When I buy a new bike I will definitely keep this one.
But definitely i will buy an other one.
Bingo. I'm in the exact same boat. This bike is an all around absolutely amazing bike. Power when you need it, handles awesome, looks great, it's decently comfortable for long trips, fantastic gas mileage, etc.  
But my next bike is going to be something that's impractical all around and obscenely quick. But I'll most likely end up keeping the FZ as its stable mate. 

I was in the same boat as @zoltan, but truly, it is dependent on the individuals on a case by case basis. For some people, the FZ07 is way too much bike. For others, it still feels like a beginner bike. But alas for the latter, it usually means you've already been on a 1000cc 150hp machine. Don't get me wrong, the FZ07 is more than enough for anybody, but relative to stronger machines, it is just too easy and too relaxing a bike. Its balanced, and light and that is its laurel.

If the fz07 is your only bike, it is definitely in your best interest to appreciate the **** out of what you have. But for some, its just not enough. So we end up with multiple bikes. My fz07 is the nice, relaxing bike. I take it out when I don't want to deal with anything. Like speed or cops or people trying to race me. Just a nice relaxing, no-thinking ride with just enough power.

Guest ChicagoAJ
I was in the same boat as @zoltan , but truly, it is dependent on the individuals on a case by case basis. For some people, the FZ07 is way too much bike. For others, it still feels like a beginner bike. But alas for the latter, it usually means you've already been on a 1000cc 150hp machine. Don't get me wrong, the FZ07 is more than enough for anybody, but relative to stronger machines, it is just too easy and too relaxing a bike. Its balanced, and light and that is its laurel. 
If the fz07 is your only bike, it is definitely in your best interest to appreciate the **** out of what you have. But for some, its just not enough. So we end up with multiple bikes. My fz07 is the nice, relaxing bike. I take it out when I don't want to deal with anything. Like speed or cops or people trying to race me. Just a nice relaxing, no-thinking ride with just enough power.
I get people trying to race me literally almost every time I'm out when I'm just cruising along on my FZ. 

Archived