The MT-07 Forum

Will it run too lean?

dony

• Premium Member

I have a stock bike and was wondering if removing the air box snorkel would have any adverse effects? Will it run leaner or too lean? I have heard the snorkel is only there to quiet it down for noise regulations? Could someone in the know please enlighten me? Thanks guys.

I'm sure someone who's removed their FZ07 snorkel will be along shortly to answer this. I have not but I did remove the snorkel on my ZRX1200.
  By itself removing the snorkel was not a good mod. The bike would start out strong and then stumble for a second before taking off hard again. The sudden loss of power followed by a surge always produced a wheelie, wanted or not. I replaced the snorkel immediately.
 I was told that removing the snorkel in addition to other changes like re-jetting produced more desirable effects. :D

• Global Moderator

Its a possibility for it to run lean, but the ecu will adapt eventually

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

On the dyno snorkel/no snorkel had no measureable effect, including AFR. Aircleaner change has way more effect. and even then that is to HP but NOT to the AFR's. The O2 sensor is there for a reason. The ECU will just adjust the fuel mix . It has a much wider range of injector flow than any mods seem to need from what I have seen.
It needs the AFR's moded ( reflash or fuel management system), but that is to change the AFR the engine actually gets ( The ECU tables run too lean for most of the range).

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

• Premium Member
On the dyno snorkel/no snorkel had no measureable effect, including AFR. Aircleaner change has way more effect. and even then that is to HP but NOT to the AFR's. The O2 sensor is there for a reason. The ECU will just adjust the fuel mix . It has a much wider range of injector flow than any mods seem to need from what I have seen. It needs the AFR's moded ( reflash or fuel management system), but that is to change the AFR the engine actually gets ( The ECU tables run too lean for most of the range).
Thanks for the info. So you are saying that even if I changed the air filter to a KN that the ecu would adapt and not run too lean?? Thanks

Archived