The MT-07 Forum

Safety Glasses

Beemer

The subject of bugs/debris getting into the eyes while riding at slower speeds with the visor up came up in another thread so if you know of a particular brand/type that has a lot to offer or you simply like alot for whatever reason post it here.

Right now I'm looking for some that work well at keeping wind and debris out of the eyes but don't take away from your peripheral vision. I can't stand glasses that block my peripheral vision. I found these and want to know if anyone has used them and how well they performed for them. It appears they would work well but looks can be deceiving and their comfort or ease of putting on under a helmet can be terrible depending on the design. Thanks for any input. 

https://www.amazon.com/Global-Vision-Outfitter-Motorcycle-Glasses/dp/B000NOKNKA/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1469193315&sr=8-16&keywords=motorcycle+safety+glasses

Just found this style. They look a little better I think.

https://www.amazon.com/Tinted-Motorcycle-Glasses-Polycarbonate-Cushion/dp/B008BWE2HQ/ref=sr_1_123?ie=UTF8&qid=1469198988&sr=8-123&keywords=motorcycle+safety+glasses

I just ordered one pair of each. After I've tried them I'll give them a review.

Beemer

bmwpowere36m3

That's what the visor is for... ;)
I generally only open the visor a fraction of an inch if I need to clear my visor or get a little air when moving slowly.  At a stop, sometimes I'll fully open it... but that not too often.  Usually is fully closed.
I think anything with a "seal" around them would work nicely.

Try a shop that might be in your area called "AirGas" in my area they have a big wall with nothing but safety eye wear.

I've gotten a few pairs for $1.20ish they also have magnification glasses and sunglasses, all Z87 approved.

https://www.airgas.com/

Rapid Red

• Premium Member

Just make sure to get something that is impact resistant. There's also two standards to impact resistance (the ANSI Z87 and then the ballistic grade MIL-PRF-31013 which is much better). You'll see it on the box.
http://blog.safetyglassesusa.com/how-to-identify-ballistic-rated-eyewear/
If you're every at Walmart, check the firearms section, they sell the military ballistic grade clear safety glasses for less than $10 and that's what I use at the range. They're usually big enough to not interfere with your peripheral vision and cover more of your eyes than most sunglasses.

Guest ChicagoAJ

I went to a pool party at a friend's house a few weeks back. Ended up losing my foam lined riding glasses - the party was only about 15 minutes away so I didn't wear my helmet. Had to use a pair of swimming goggles for the ride home. They. Worked. Great. Got some funny looks though, people were probably mad they didn't think of that themselves.

• Premium Member
howworkclutch

home depot has 3m safety classes in mirror and dark. they're cheap as dirt (catch em on sale for $3) and don't get all up in your periphs

best damned riding glasses for the money

-HowWorkClutch

Smith & Wesson Phantom Safety Glasses

I love these. Nothing beats these in how easy it is to slide them into a full face helmet. And nothing blocks peripheral vision. Very good protection for eyes from wind too. The larger lens area gives good coverage for intended purpose.

[div align=center]safetyglassesusa_2268_89736967__63682.1448995641.1280.1280.jpg?c=2
[/div]

Of other peoples choices, I like those the best so far. They look great and seal up around the eyes. If no one had a problem with their peripheral vision being blocked these would be a 5 star pair for them, I think. 

Beemer

All these suggestions for standard safety glasses took me by surprise and I wondered if everyone is riding with them at speed while their visor is up. I don't want to make a big deal about but I'm a little concerned now because standard safety glasses that aren't sealed do not stop wind and bugs or small debris from going around the frames and into the eyes at low speed or any speed. Sorry, I wasn't sure if everyone knew that so my concern forced me to say that. I just hope people switch to at least something with foam that seals around the eyes if they ride with their visors up. Knowing that this is a very safety minded bunch I figured most would want the best protection for their sensitive eyes and appreciate the heads up but the choice is yours.

Beemer

martyinaustin
All these suggestions for standard safety glasses took me by surprise and I wondered if everyone is riding with them at speed while their visor is up. I don't want to make a big deal about but I'm a little concerned now because standard safety glasses that aren't sealed do not stop wind and bugs or small debris from going around the frames and into the eyes at low speed or any speed. Sorry, I wasn't sure if everyone knew that so my concern forced me to say that. I just hope people switch to at least something with foam that seals around the eyes if they ride with their visors up. Knowing that this is a very safety minded bunch I figured most would want the best protection for their sensitive eyes and appreciate the heads up but the choice is yours.
when i go on a highway or back farm road, i drop the visor...glasses or not.  but when i'm dicking around town or at low speeds in general, i love having the visor open if only for air-flow.  i live in >95 degree Texas so it goes
up and down a lot.  therefore, i can agree that the cheaper ones i like don't protect from dust...but frankly
either do the foamed "real" sunglasses i have if it's particularly bad out.  fwiw.

Jackson Smoke Safety Glasses, Scratch-Resistant, Wraparound
JACKSON SAFETY |Zoro #: G1797336|Mfr #: 25714 | $6.05 /ea

Z-GN2wfo5oy.JPG

I have a "Photochromatic" visor, so no need for shades (and, I don't ride with it up).  But, I purchased a few of these for cutting the lawn, and keep an extra pair in each vehicle, in case I forget my prescription sun glasses. 

“The real cycle you're working on is a cycle called yourself.”
— Robert M. Pirsig (Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values)

Jackson Smoke Safety Glasses, Scratch-Resistant, Wraparound JACKSON SAFETY |Zoro #: G1797336|Mfr #: 25714 | $6.05 /ea

Z-GN2wfo5oy.JPG

I have a "Photochromatic" visor, so no need for shades (and, I don't ride with it up).  But, I purchased a few of these for cutting the lawn, and keep an extra pair in each vehicle, in case I forget my prescription sun glasses. 

It seems you're the exception, most like to put their visor up some just to get fresh air no matter what visor or sunglasses they're wearing. Nice looking shades, though! 

martyinaustin I hear ya man! I lived in Austin for 17 years and nothing much stops that fine dust you see from time to time there. Some good goggles would be about the only truly good thing for dust but since most people seem to wear full face helmets they don't wear goggles so all you can really do when you see dust ahead of you or first feel dust in the eyes is to immediately close your eyes and the visor at the same time. The foam glasses we're talking about should keep most bugs out of your eyes.

Beemer

• Premium Member

Man I hear you on the grit/fluff/pollen?...might as well be damned pepperspray eye irritants.  I usually ride at slower speeds with my visor up and my internal pilot shades always down. Ive had plenty of crap blasted into my eyes over the years but never anything like this.  Whatever it is, its unbearably most sh*tty and dangerous.  With many years as a stone mason I found all basic safety glasses no matter how near to ones face they might be, still let stuff through.

So Im going to try out a few cheapie goggles under my modular that have foam to actually seal things up a bit more.

https://www.canadasmotorcycle.ca/bobster-cruiser-goggles.html
https://www.canadasmotorcycle.ca/bobster-wrap-around-goggles.html
https://www.canadasmotorcycle.ca/kds-tortoise-goggles.html

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

Man I hear you on the grit/fluff/pollen?...might as well be damned pepperspray eye irritants.  I usually ride at slower speeds with my visor up and my internal pilot shades always down. Ive had plenty of crap blasted into my eyes over the years but never anything like this.  Whatever it is, its unbearably most sh*tty and dangerous.  With many years as a stone mason I found all basic safety glasses no matter how near to ones face they might be, still let stuff through.  
So Im going to try out a few cheapie goggles under my modular that have foam to actually seal things up a bit more.

Cool! Try them out and let us know what you discover. Just from the three choices you threw up I would only go with the Bobster wrap around's just because they look like they would be peripheral vision friendly. I still wonder about any unforeseen problems with fit, comfort and ease of use if the strap is worn around the head vs around the helmet. I can see that they are vented to allow some air inside but I wonder if it's enough and will they let dust particles inside still. Maybe the question should be how much do they block compared to foam rimmed safety glasses. From my experience goggles always tended to get stuffy and hot and they're harder to adjust than glasses. Maybe these will perform better than the goggles of yore.  ;)  Let us know what you find, bro!

Beemer

• Premium Member

Cool! Try them out and let us know what you discover. Just from the three choices you threw up I would only go with the Bobster wrap around's just because they look like they would be peripheral vision friendly. I still wonder about any unforeseen problems with fit, comfort and ease of use if the strap is worn around the head vs around the helmet. I can see that they are vented to allow some air inside but I wonder if it's enough and will they let dust particles inside still. Maybe the question should be how much do they block compared to foam rimmed safety glasses. From my experience goggles always tended to get stuffy and hot and they're harder to adjust than glasses. Maybe these will perform better than the goggles of yore.  ;)  Let us know what you find, bro!
Yes sir, will do. I have no idea how well these will work or fit my mug or the quality. I was curious myself about the little air vents.  I figured for the price Id just buy a few at a time to save on multiple shipping costs and if nothing else these will motivate me to get riding. 

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

Guest ChicagoAJ
Anything is better than riding visor up with no glasses in 50-60mph zones like I do. I know how bad it is to do but I love it so much!

Anything is better than riding visor up with no glasses in 50-60mph zones like I do. I know how bad it is to do but I love it so much!
the gods have your back...  ;)

Beemer

I just got back from a ride and what a difference these safety glasses make. At low speeds I had this feeling of confidence like no other eye wear I've ever used before. It felt like my eyes were almost totally protected, like the feeling goggles provide. You can just tell because of the foam they are flush against your face in all the right places to stop any bugs from going underneath and into an eye. I believe the wind, at speed, helps to push them into your face for a better seal. I felt so confident with them I jumped on the highway and kicked it up to 95 and no wind was blasting me in the eyes. You could feel a little from the sides but it was minimal and you want some fresh air there anyways. An educated guess would say only dust would come in from there. It's probably the best $12 I ever spent. I can't say that they provide 100% peripheral vision, it's probably more like around 80% but after I get some good convex mirrors I won't worry about the missing 20% vision at the rear. If anyone is having trouble with watery eyes from wind try these. They ain't purdy but they work.

https://www.amazon.com/Global-Vision-Outfitter-Motorcycle-Glasses/dp/B000NOKNKA/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1469193315&sr=8-16&keywords=motorcycle%20safety%20glasses&tag=vglnk-c2435-20

BTW, I did try to put a full face helmet on over goggles today at my Yamaha dealership but that was a "No-go". The chin part won't slide  over the goggles and they didn't work on the outside of the helmet either. They didn't sit on the face at all.

Beemer

• Premium Member
howworkclutch

just looking at the arms of those things, i'm guessing your full-face helmet doesn't fit properly.

-HowWorkClutch

• Premium Member

I like KD'S for riding sunglasses. Cheap, look good and stay on the face well.

Everything went braap.

just looking at the arms of those things, i'm guessing your full-face helmet doesn't fit properly. 

I can see where someone would think that, the glasses definitely look bulky. My helmet fits fine. You do have to use a little more thought when putting them on though since the ends (behind the ears) are turned inward but I've had plenty of less bulky eye wear like that. Once you've mastered putting them on it's no problem. 

Beemer

• Premium Member

I've realized I wear glasses half the time, so this option wouldn't be ideal for me.

Throwing out another option...A chin curtain.
They're made to minimize a lot of the crap from flying in. The only down side of a chin curtain is that it reduces the airflow AKA it's hotter.

I've tried my wife's Shoei Qwest and it seemed to help. Both my Arai's have what I'd barely qualify as one. I might have to DIY my own... For example.

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

Archived