The MT-07 Forum

First Yamaha in 15 years....not the FZ-10 but I'm happy =]

n3ren

Picked up a 2016 FZ-07 from a local dealer with 1 mile on it about two and a half weeks ago. I was lurking on this site for a few weeks prior to purchase and had most of the mods in mind. I've owned faster bikes but this one seems to be just right....I must be getting old =P I really had my eye on the MT/FZ-10 but couldn't stomach the insurance quotes I was getting.

I'll see if I can't snap some pics here when the rain stops (Member of many other forums....I know this thread is worthless without pics). The stable is a little cluttered with Suzuki Enduros and misc parts at the moment though.

Still a few parts awaiting arrival. Got a big 'ol box of OEM parts should I ever decide to sell her....including a starship enterprise replica with built-in license plate bracket.

Here's a list of what I got done so far.
7/16/16 - 102 miles

Maintenance--
K&N Air Filter -just because =P
Tightened Chain -asked dealer if it should be that loose, he said it was fine.....my micrometer said otherwise
Removed Snorkel from Air Cleaner Lid -I love intake sounds and there's no proven dyno difference

Mods--
R6 Throttle Tube -Agreed with vids complaining of throttle lag
Sliders - Frame, Front Axle, Rear Axle, Bar Ends -JIC...
LED Headlight -cheap, $12 from Amazon and really make a difference on all my bikes....also re-aimed after install
Green Parking/Acc Light -just because =P
Battery Tender to Battery -don't have a heated garage in winter
TST Industries Flush Mount Smoked Front LED Signals (Factory Harness Adaptor) -hated those big tangerine signals
Yoshimura Fender Eliminator -never was a star trek fan
Lockhart-Phillips Smoked Rear LED Signals (Factory Harness Adaptor) -see front signal explanation

7/27/16 - 201 miles

Maintenance--
Yamalube 10w40 oil change 2.5 qts -manual says 600 miles....yeah right
Hiflofiltro HF204 Oil Filter -oem filter maker
Greddy Neodymium M14x1.5 Magnetic Oil Drain Plug -better safe than sorry
5x Neodymium 4x10x40mm magnets on Oil Filter -I have a touch of OCD

Mods--
Shorty/Adjustable Clutch + Brake Levers (awesome cheap amazon find) -hated that the factory clutch lever wasn't adjustable
Black Mirror Extenders (functional but not visually awesome cheap ebay find) -I'm 6'2"/230 lbs, I get tired of looking at my shoulders.

Got a radiator guard and coolant reservoir guard on order. Would like to get some case covers or engine guards but haven't found ones I like yet that I don't need to take out a loan to buy =O

pineappleunderthesea

I was about to congratulate you on the bike and mods, but then you dropped the words "never was a star trek fan". So to you, sir (or ma'am), I say: Pffft!

• Premium Member

To continue with the insults...
Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries!!!

Anyways, you keep talking about the mods but how are you enjoying the bike?

I was about to congratulate you on the bike and mods, but then you dropped the words "never was a star trek fan". So to you, sir (or ma'am), I say: Pffft!
Whoooa there! He is a fellow biker so set your phazer to stun, lol!  ;)

Beemer

Welcome and congrats! I think you'll find the bike to be satisfying overall. It may not be the most comfortable or fastest but it is very quick in traffic, is very flickable and pulls like a Kentucky mule. I'm not familiar with those Neodymium magnets, do they help to make a red light change over to green if no one else is around. Reason I ask is there's one light where I live that ignores my bike and stays red until a car comes along. 

Beemer

• Premium Member

Welcome!

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

Picked up a 2016 FZ-07 from a local dealer with 1 mile on it about two and a half weeks ago. I was lurking on this site for a few weeks prior to purchase and had most of the mods in mind. I've owned faster bikes but this one seems to be just right....I must be getting old =P I really had my eye on the MT/FZ-10 but couldn't stomach the insurance quotes I was getting. 
I'll see if I can't snap some pics here when the rain stops (Member of many other forums....I know this thread is worthless without pics). The stable is a little cluttered with Suzuki Enduros and misc parts at the moment though.

Still a few parts awaiting arrival. Got a big 'ol box of OEM parts should I ever decide to sell her....including a starship enterprise replica with built-in license plate bracket.

Here's a list of what I got done so far.
7/16/16 - 102 miles

Maintenance--
K&N Air Filter -just because =P
Tightened Chain -asked dealer if it should be that loose, he said it was fine.....my micrometer said otherwise
Removed Snorkel from Air Cleaner Lid -I love intake sounds and there's no proven dyno difference

Mods--
R6 Throttle Tube -Agreed with vids complaining of throttle lag
Sliders - Frame, Front Axle, Rear Axle, Bar Ends -JIC...
LED Headlight -cheap, $12 from Amazon and really make a difference on all my bikes....also re-aimed after install
Green Parking/Acc Light -just because =P
Battery Tender to Battery -don't have a heated garage in winter
TST Industries Flush Mount Smoked Front LED Signals (Factory Harness Adaptor) -hated those big tangerine signals
Yoshimura Fender Eliminator -never was a star trek fan
Lockhart-Phillips Smoked Rear LED Signals (Factory Harness Adaptor) -see front signal explanation

7/27/16 - 201 miles

Maintenance--
Yamalube 10w40 oil change 2.5 qts -manual says 600 miles....yeah right
Hiflofiltro HF204 Oil Filter -oem filter maker
Greddy Neodymium M14x1.5 Magnetic Oil Drain Plug -better safe than sorry
5x Neodymium 4x10x40mm magnets on Oil Filter -I have a touch of OCD

Mods--
Shorty/Adjustable Clutch + Brake Levers (awesome cheap amazon find) -hated that the factory clutch lever wasn't adjustable
Black Mirror Extenders (functional but not visually awesome cheap ebay find) -I'm 6'2"/230 lbs, I get tired of looking at my shoulders.

Got a radiator guard and coolant reservoir guard on order. Would like to get some case covers or engine guards but haven't found ones I like yet that I don't need to take out a loan to buy =O

welcome and congrats on the FZ! Its not that we're getting older I think Its our tastes are more refined ?

2016 FZ07 - LOVING IT!!
2003 R6 - SOLD
2006 FZ6 - SOLD

Thank you all for the kind welcome. I am very much so enjoying the bike....will be able to enjoy it much more after the break in =P

It is rather noisy though.....A lot of tapping/rpm dependent sounds from valve area. I thought changing the oil would get rid of it but I was wrong. Also, the chain is the noisiest on any bike I've ever owned. Sounds like the chain constantly chatters, even moreso under torque. Rear wheel in line with the front and the chain is set perfect. I'm kind of at a loss for either. Is this a unique thing or quite common?

• Premium Member

The stock fz-07 is so ooooo quiet you hear the fuel Injectors working for example, even the chain noise...your 2 options are either upgrade exhaust or get used to hearing them sounds...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

I'm not familiar with those Neodymium magnets, do they help to make a red light change over to green if no one else is around. Reason I ask is there's one light where I live that ignores my bike and stays red until a car comes along. 
I think it is a bit of a gimmick, the way those buried sensors work is that they sense a change in the EMF(Electromagnetic field) above it and that signals that there is a car above it. So a magnet alone would not get a register, instead to create an EMF with a magnet in the field above the sensor your would need to move it since still magnets don't create an EMF. Essentially you would need to rock your bike back and forth to create this EMF to register activity, not sure how it actually works in practice, but haven't heard encouraging things. 

Just wish these things would get replaced by the camera sensor instead though.

I'm not familiar with those Neodymium magnets, do they help to make a red light change over to green if no one else is around. Reason I ask is there's one light where I live that ignores my bike and stays red until a car comes along. 
I think it is a bit of a gimmick, the way those buried sensors work is that they sense a change in the EMF(Electromagnetic field) above it and that signals that there is a car above it. So a magnet alone would not get a register, instead to create an EMF with a magnet in the field above the sensor your would need to move it since still magnets don't create an EMF. Essentially you would need to rock your bike back and forth to create this EMF to register activity, not sure how it actually works in practice, but haven't heard encouraging things.  

Just wish these things would get replaced by the camera sensor instead though.

In the great communistwealth of Pennsyltucky, a law was just  recently passed that a motorcycle could come to a complete stop at a red light and continue on their way if the light didn't change...provided the intersection was safe to pass through. Some genius decided to amend the bill to include passenger vehicles. Not so thrilled about that....here I come zipping through a green light and someone texting decides the red light is taking too long *wink*wink*....and you know the rest. 
I actually have them on the oil filter to collect metal shavings at the inlet side. Saves the filter media from being shredded and extends the life of it. Some filters (especially very popular ones *fram*) have a very sub par construction. I've cut em open with a band saw just to see if they would make a difference and I'm convinced that it does. Same idea with the Greddy oil drain plug. It's a shame that I had neither installed on the bike before the first oil change. I would've put a couple hundred miles on the bike the first day I had it just to see what all that a fresh motor sheds. lol

AlbatrossCafe
I'm 6'2" ~235lb with pretty broad shoulders from weightlifting, especially when you add a thick jacket on top. I went with CRG Arrow bar-end mirrors. 
I can see more behind me now than I can in the front (well, maybe not, but almost). I have virtually no blind spot, can use either as a rear-view mirror, and can see 2 lanes on either side of me. No vibration either. I would definitely recommend for someone bigger like you if it ends up you can't stand the look of the stock mirrors with extenders.

I'm 6'2" ~235lb with pretty broad shoulders from weightlifting, especially when you add a thick jacket on top. I went with CRG Arrow bar-end mirrors. 
I can see more behind me now than I can in the front (well, maybe not, but almost). I have virtually no blind spot, can use either as a rear-view mirror, and can see 2 lanes on either side of me. No vibration either. I would definitely recommend for someone bigger like you if it ends up you can't stand the look of the stock mirrors with extenders.

I appreciate the input! I'm always welcome to suggestions. I tried bar end mirrors on my F4i for a little over a month and ended up putting the OEM mirrors back on with an extension adaptor. My depth perception isn't perfect and those convex mirrors don't help matters. I was always afraid of knocking them off as well.

AlbatrossCafe
I appreciate the input! I'm always welcome to suggestions. I tried bar end mirrors on my F4i for a little over a month and ended up putting the OEM mirrors back on with an extension adaptor. My depth perception isn't perfect and those convex mirrors don't help matters. I was always afraid of knocking them off as well.
Yeah, if you lane split/filter (especially illegally...) they are kind of a pain. I fold them in when filtering to the front of stoplights sometimes when the spacing is tight. Sometimes when I park near a wall I end up knocking them a bit as well. But 97% of the time they are great. 
And did you say.... F4i? I had a 2005 CBR 600 F4i as my first bike! lol. Are we the same person...?

Pretty sure we're different people...lol. I loved my '03 F4i. Unfortunately, bald tires led to it being low sided and leaving nothing recognizable (or salvageable) from it.

Archived