The MT-07 Forum

New Yammie owner

layli

Just purchased a 2015 FZ-07 (used) and traded in my Suzuki SFV650 (Gladius). Have been riding for about 10 years and have owned everything from Harleys to Japanese naked bikes to Vespa scooters.
I pick up the FZ on Friday as they're having to lower it for me. I haven't ridden it yet, so am nervous if i'll like it after the Gladius. I have been happy with the Gladius, but it is pretty goofy looking. 
I just saw a video of someone complaining about the steering wobble on the FZ-07 and now I'm anxious. Anyone else have this problem. I looked into steering dampers and they're super expensive, plus labor intensive to install -- would cost about $1000 all together.
Let me know what y'all think!

• Premium Member

Welcome and congratulations on the new bike...I personally think a steering damper for the fz-07 is overkill unless one is constantly running laps at the local race track, I wouldn't call it a steering wobble but more of the feeling the front end is feeling light at speeds above 110...I will admit the stock suspension is junk and that may catch a lot of ppl off guard...I have my suspension upgraded and it's awesome, feels very planted...bike does not dance in the freeway wind blast or get pushed by the semi truck wind blasts...for the price of your potential " steering damper and install" you can upgrade your suspension which will be night and day difference...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

• Global Moderator

Great to see you here ! Thanks for joining. Don't forget to pin

Oh, and no wobble for me :)

• Global Moderator

Welcome @layli
gratz on the new fizz
I couldnt agree more in saying the gladius is rather ugly... the shop next door to mine a guy dailys his... not a bad bike... just hideous

The front suspension is very soft on the fz. the steering wobble is as @norcal616 said, more of a feedback feeling frlm the soft suspenion at higher speeds. A cartridge retrofit/upgrade will definitely help. But wait until you get some seat time in. Its not that noticable unless your roads are absolute garbage.

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

Welcome, congrats and pics! (when you get it of course)  ;)  I've experienced the death wobble on other bikes and the little bit of lateral movement in the front end of the FZ-07 that I've experienced at high speed isn't the same thing. The forks may've moved left to right for a fraction of a second but the handlebars stayed in place. It felt to me like the road momentarily caused a little shake but I didn't feel like I was in any danger. Personally, I'm not rushing out to improve my suspension over minor quirks.

Beemer

• Premium Member

Welcome and congratulations on getting one of the most enjoyable bikes.

The only time I have experienced any headshake at all on my FZ07 was when I rode at speed with an overinflated front tyre (to about 35psi). Relaxed my grip until I reached a safe spot beside the road and bled some air to correct the issue.

The roads where I ride are bumpy, pot-holed and tar snaked.

• Premium Member

Welcome! Also, no wobble for me. :)

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

I think it was a mis-described problem that very soft suspensions with too much preload have ( although an under damped std preload can do it if you push it). It is more a weave than a wobble. The 07 has very soft suspension and will reward you with a VERY crisp handling bike if you upgrade the suspension front and rear. Plenty of posts on this forum from some excellent suspension people ( notably Pattonme, but there are others) . Easily fixed and worth the fixing for the final result.
A wobble is more usually found on used bikes from things like badly balanced tyres, badly worn tyres, bent forks, loose ( or too tight) steering head bearings, bad tolerance wheel bearings or worn swingarm bearings.
Interestingly you can get an "apparent" wobble from rubber mounted pegs( which this bike has) if the rubber mounts are softish. Bike isn't wobbling, but your feet feel like the bike is moving around when you load them. I actually replaced the rubber mounts with turned aluminium ones on this bike.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

Guest ChicagoAJ

No shakes here and I've had it over 115mph a few times. I tend to cruise around 90mph on the highway and it's fine. If you have a death grip on the bars then you might get some wobble - but if you're relaxed, you'll be fine. I actually don't mind the stock suspension at all, the only thing that catches me off guard are all the wheelies this bike does without even trying.

Welcome aboard - don't overthink issues other people have until you actually have them yourself, otherwise you're worrying for nothing.

Archived