The MT-07 Forum

Very hard to walk away this afternoon

Guest MXRider

Guest MXRider

Stopped by a local dealer when out running errands this afternoon. They had a red FZ sitting outside in the rain. I went in and talked price with them but they are asking too much IMO and I don't want to add another finance payment to what I already have, especially since I am trying to move in the near future. They wanted $7800 OTD when I first asked, but he worked down to $7400. If he had come down another $250 or so I might have done it. I'm gonna save my pennies and maybe sell one of my guns that doesn't get used often to pay for it in cash this winter. But I gotta say it was tough to not cave and add some more debt on.

Also, I am really liking the red bike after seeing it in person a few times. I think I could see myself getting this color instead of the grey and blue bike. Not having a street bike currently is really starting to get to me. Some days it's just so nice out and the back roads are calling my name. Soon...

F996B0A5-2772-4865-97A3-ED00100F03C7_zpszijefh4l.jpg

250 dollars? Mate i think 7400 sounds great OTD, i mean isn't the MSRP 7k? 400 in fee's seems fine to me.

"Shoot? I'm a hippie. The only thing I've shot is acid. I heard of a dude snorted it once. Thought his nose was a kangaroo and the moon was a dog! WOOH!" - The Truth (GTA San Andreas)

Guest MXRider

I have never paid more than the MSRP for anything out the door. If I wait a little bit I am sure I can get the bike for under $7000 OTD, especially if I buy out of state.

I'm notorious for beating up salesmen on prices though. They knocked down the price 5 times on my 4Runner before I agreed to the deal. $250 might not seem like a big deal, and really it's not, however it adds up quick. I'm always trying to get the best deal.

I have never paid more than the MSRP for anything out the door. If I wait a little bit I am sure I can get the bike for under $7000 OTD, especially if I buy out of state.  
I'm notorious for beating up salesmen on prices though. They knocked down the price 5 times on my 4Runner before I agreed to the deal. $250 might not seem like a big deal, and really it's not, however it adds up quick. I'm always trying to get the best deal.
What kind of strategies do you use? I suck at at that stuff. Like on Craigslist usually it ends up being the guy charges 2400 i make up some story of how i only have 1800 and he said 2100 and i settle. i suck at that crap.  

"Shoot? I'm a hippie. The only thing I've shot is acid. I heard of a dude snorted it once. Thought his nose was a kangaroo and the moon was a dog! WOOH!" - The Truth (GTA San Andreas)

Guest MXRider

You just have to put your game face on and go in there with the attitude that you will happily walk out if the deal isn't right for you. If you go in there wanting the bike no matter what you are gonna get bent over by the sales department. They have more room to work with than they are willing to admit and the fees they add on are just more padding for their pocket books. Obviously some dealers are worse than others.

What I may end up doing is buying in WV. There is a dealer there that will sell me the bike right now for $6550 and I walk out the door. Then I will have to go to the VA DMV and pay my sales tax of 5% and then whatever it costs to register the bike for 2 years (probably $120 or so). The bike will cost me right around $7020 when all is said and done if I did it today.

Now say I wait until January when sales are down and the hype of the bike has worn off. How much less will it be then? Probably a couple hundred dollars or so. It's generally a bad idea to buy a street bike while riding season is in.

• Global Moderator

You are a strong man. I would have walked away with the keys.

Best thing to do is to buy in January on a snowy week. I bought my FZ-09 for less than what alot of people are paying for the FZ-07 in January, during a blizzard. They were thrilled just to see someone walk in the door. I got them to waive all BS fees and got it for $8,157 and they even delivered it to my garage the next day for no charge.

Now, people are buying the FZ-09 from the same dealer for $8,900 because it is riding season and they are easy to sell.

I buy snowmobiles and snow tires in the summer, bikes, boats and backpacking gear in the winter. Works like a charm. Winter is also a great time to buy Motorcycle gear cheap on Craigslist.

Guest MXRider

Exactly. I bought a new Carhart soft shell jacket today. It was $140 but they had it marked down to $90. That same jacket on November will be $140 again.

An old saying my dad used was "you don't buy a snow blower during a blizzard". How true.

• Premium Member

I was initially gonna get the grey and blue.. but well, you know. Red looks great honestly.

Everything went braap.

Well I don't know too much about haggling but what I do know is that I would happily pay 7300.00 again for my fz that I have been riding for over a month now. There is something to be said for having the bike and enjoying it (it's worth something...300.00+ for sure) this bike carries huge bang for buck value compared to anything else out there! ????

Guest MXRider
Well I don't know too much about haggling but what I do know is that I would happily pay 7300.00 again for my fz that I have been riding for over a month now. There is something to be said for having the bike and enjoying it (it's worth something...300.00+ for sure) this bike carries huge bang for buck value compared to anything else out there! ????
I know this bike is a great value, and I agree it would be nice to have it today. But unfortunately I'm gonna have to wait a bit to make it happen. I will have mine by next spring and that will have to do.

The problem in Nashville is this, if you want the bike you and are buying locally, you WILL pay fees. If you say you will walk, they will ALL say, "OK, bye" because they know someone else will buy it within 2 days

I wouldn't have been able to walk away from that bike. But that's because that otd is a lot less than we get here in SoCal. Lucky people with their low 7000 bikes. Lol

Guest MXRider
I wouldn't have been able to walk away from that bike. But that's because that otd is a lot less than we get here in SoCal. Lucky people with their low 7000 bikes. Lol
I lived in the bay area for 2 years so I'm well aware of the prices you guys get stuck with.

Guest MXRider
The problem in Nashville is this, if you want the bike you and are buying locally, you WILL pay fees. If you say you will walk, they will ALL say, "OK, bye" because they know someone else will buy it within 2 days
The hype will die down in a little bit and come winter they will be hurting for cash.

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick
Agreed! I'm embarrassed to say what I paid for mine. 

Illegitimi non carborundum

• 1 month later...

yep, i can attest to the brutal socal market. i can play the game real good when it comes to buying a car. tried the same game when i bought mine and they wouldn't budge. i actually left the first time. second time, got a different guy and same story. finally just said f*** it and got it anyway. 8,200 OTD was the best i could do. AND they didn't include the first service… yeah that sucked but somehow it never crosses my mind when I'm riding. :)

Guest MXRider

I'm still noticing this bike is kinda rare at dealers so I'm sure it's not helping the prices currently. But when winter comes it will most likely be a different story.

• Premium Member
crazycracka501

In SoCal, winter doesn't really exist. It gets cool, but not really unrideable unless you live in the mountains. We don't really have the luxury of waiting it out. MXRider, your father was correct about the snowblower in a blizzard, smart man. $200 doesn't seem like a lot, but like you said, if you save that $200 every time you buy a vehicle, it will add up.

Make it stop!....Now make it go faster!

Im not good at that either. When I bough my FZ09 last year I asked the salesman when they were expecting their FZ09. He respond in few weeks. I asked him how many already put a down payment, he reply none. I hand my my CCard and says put $500 on this, im getting the first one! :)

He called me the next day saying they found one un Chicago and I was going to get it the following week.

• 3 months later...

i got mine for the msrp of just under $7000, but with all the other bs and finance charges it was gonna total just under $10000. since i had pretty much paid everything but my vehicles off, i went ahead and did it. it's my first bike and i love it, i just need to find some riding buddies

• Premium Member
crazycracka501

I did find out yesterday that SoCal OTD price seems higher because in Cali, dealers collect the tax and licensing fees. Whereas most other states allow the dealer to sell the bike for a "lower" OTD price but the poor guy or gal that bought it is required to go to a state or city facility of some sort and pay the state tax and licensing fees. So the seemingly "lower" OTD price is really only people paying two bills rather than one "larger" bill. This came from long time friends that work at a dealer. Hope this helps......$10,000 is still a hell of a lot for an FZ-07, you got robbed on financing IMO.

Make it stop!....Now make it go faster!

Guest MXRider

Yeah here in VA the sales tax and DMV fees for the license plate and registration are included in the out the door price. These bikes are about $7k out the door here.

Archived